Gary Rankin vs. George Quarles

chs1984

13 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Only after teams above them declined. You and I know this was an attempt to keep murvul out. It was pure luck that help murvul get it to the super32 and upset the apple cart. But, the point was MURVUL DID NOT OPENLY VOLUNTEER. They could had when in 4A. So they were no difference than Alcoa now.  They could'of...should'of moved up. 

Wrong.  Maryville "applied" to move up to the 32.  It wasn't that a team declined and Maryville had to play up in the 32.  When a team did decline, Maryville moved up.  THEY CHOSE TO MOVE UP, unlike Alcoa. 

Maryville was 15 or 20 schools deep in the 5A.  If any of those 15 or 20 had wanted to go up, they would have gotten priority over Maryville, but they didn't apply to go up.  I agree that it was an effort to get the Rebels out of 6A and it didn't work.

https://tricitiessports.com/tssaa-appears-ready-to-adopt-super-proposal-for-high-school-football-on-p71604-116.htm

Edited by OldRebel2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Probably start with socks? :rolleyes:

I’m sorry that wasn’t clear, I forgot who all was on here. How can the football team at Maryville High School dress out over 100 players for a football game when there’s only numbers 0-99 numbered jerseys for the football players to choose from? 

Edited by rebelwoman87

1 hour ago, rebelwoman87 said:

I’m sorry that wasn’t clear, I forgot who all was on here. How can the football team at Maryville High School dress out over 100 players for a football game when there’s only numbers 0-99 numbered jerseys for the football players to choose from? 

Don’t confuse the discussion with fancy numbers! It’s crazy what can be learned on here. Alco dresses 65 (at least) against little schools who probably dress closer to half that number and murvil is criticized for playing in the highest classification because they didn’t really want to. I guess they were scared of the big boys. 

5 hours ago, TeeterTot2 said:

East TN football has lost ground to Middle and West TN in regards to overall talent.  Once Riverdale started to lose, Rankin put his tale between his legs and ran east.  Rankin needs more talent than the opposing team to win.  Rankin will NEVER out scheme you.  Hence him needing a big OL for the 50 running plays a game he calls.  

I won’t dispute your other points, but, Riverdale was not losing when Rankin left. They won state his next to last year, and went 13-1 his final season, losing at Oak Ridge in the semifinals with an injury riddled team. 

2 hours ago, rebelwoman87 said:

Many teams in Georgia dress more than 100. You can have duplicate numbers, they just can’t be on the field at the same time. 

5 hours ago, rebelwoman87 said:

Do they actually dress over 100 kids for varsity? I think they only have 92 or 93 on the varsity roster. To be honest the “depth” at Maryville IMO is a myth. I think Maryville beats teams because they are more disciplined  and better conditioned but the thought that Maryville wins games because they are sending in player after player is not true IMO. If you have had a kid or grandkid play there especially recently you realize they don’t sub very often and some kids play both ways (not alot but some) so realistically I think there is probably no more than 35 kids that actually have a shot of playing in a game on any given Friday when the game really matters. 

Edited by Rebel1972

8 minutes ago, Rebel1972 said:

Do they actually dress over 100 kids for varsity? I think they only have 92 or 93 on the varsity roster. To be honest the “depth” at Maryville IMO is a myth. I think Maryville beats teams because they are more displaced and better conditioned but the thought that Maryville wins games because they are sending in player after player is not true IMO. If you have had a kid or grandkid play there especially recently you realize they don’t sub very often and some kids play both ways (not alot but some) so realistically I think there is probably no more than 35 kids that actually have a shot of playing in a game on any given Friday when the game really matters. 

Can’t wait till BC reads this…:popcorneater:

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, rebelwoman87 said:

Can’t wait till BC reads this…:popcorneater:

It is just my opinion. Let me be clear in what I am saying. I am not saying Maryville doesn’t have quality depth because I know several “2’s” in recent years that would be starters in other programs or have went on to play on college. I am saying they don’t usually rotate a ton of bodies when the game is on the line. Ask any player waiting their turn on Friday night.