Gary Rankin vs. George Quarles

chs1984

15 minutes ago, rebelwoman87 said:

You are correct BPM. There’s no equality in that. As I said earlier it’s not fair to the smaller school. I hope the power that be will look at this in the future. Alcoa would have 15-0 seasons every year if it wasn’t for the game with Maryville. 

I think that as long as Alcoa is willing to play this game it benefits Maryville to want to play it. Let’s be honest, the game is very important to both communities. Big time gates for both schools and good competition. If y’all dropped Alcoa who would you replace them with that would be as competitive?  Just my two cents. Much respect for both teams. 

14 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I think that as long as Alcoa is willing to play this game it benefits Maryville to want to play it. Let’s be honest, the game is very important to both communities. Big time gates for both schools and good competition. If y’all dropped Alcoa who would you replace them with that would be as competitive?  Just my two cents. Much respect for both teams. 

Exactly. It’s a money maker especially for Alcoa. The Maryville game gate probably matches or beats all the other games combined. 

Edited by rebelwoman87
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

I know the murvul peps don't like this, but true to the core. 6A vs 3A. It is not a even playing field. fact.

In years where Alcoa can compete or have an edge at the line of scrimmage, Alcoa has won. 

Bottom line, Depth has been a big factor.

And if Alcoa actually were a "real" 3A program, you would have a point. 

But you and I both know better.  Only one of us will admit it, however.  

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Both great coaches but I would/do give one the edge over the other. 

That would be George Quarles 

(What is Rankin's record vs G.Q?)

I know it's been said there shouldn't really be a comparison since it's  3A vs 6A .

But if I may say so, I do believe, if everything were the same, and we just swap the 2 coaches out with one another, it is my most humble and honest opinion, G.Q. would have a better record against Maryville than Rankin does today.

So I say:

George > Gary

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Ha! .........another Heritage or WB?

1 hour ago, Solomon said:

Maryville physically dominated the LOS the last 2 seasons, esp. the 2019 game. They beat Rankin at his own game.

THIS.  It is hard even for Alcoa with 65 players to have the LOS and Depth to over come playing the top 6A and DII teams. Everyone else they can cover!!:thumb:

The F5 is currently building a OL to compete....depth not so much.

1 hour ago, HTV said:

And if Alcoa actually were a "real" 3A program, you would have a point. 

But you and I both know better.  Only one of us will admit it, however.  

Talent level, yes. Size and depth, no. 

Admit? Simply look at the numbers.....murvul has OVER ONE THOUSAND more students, AND, dresses over 100 players.

Alcoa over achieves in their classification. This is where your  "real" 3A description comes from.  That still does not make them 6A. And, that is the pin point that touches off the murvul peps. They hate "little brother" is closing the gap.:lol: 

1 hour ago, rebelwoman87 said:

Exactly. It’s a money maker especially for Alcoa. The Maryville game gate probably matches or beats all the other games combined. 

Probably so.

Alcoa has played more 6A program besides murvul. Those teams did not have any more fans at Alcoa them the typical 3A teams? Two of the 6A teams last year had much higher enrollment numbers than murvul?

Funny, the trend of Rebel fans wanting to drop the Tornadoes. :ph34r:

At least the Middle school teams will start playing again. After, Alcoa had to do damage control and agree to play "nice"...