Alcoa at West

WestHigh4Life

13 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

I knew it was going to be that kind of night when the official started the game by sending two players to the sideline for not having their jerseys tucked in. It got worse from that point on. Was shocked that he didn’t throw a flag for excessive celebration as Alcoa loaded the bus after the game… Who knows, he just might have…B)

Sometimes a guy in that position can be manipulated to your advantage .Maybe someone got into their heads.I done it one time when I was coaching one of my sons in a bench press contest at the junior Olympic games.The main judge was terrible and after he made my son hold the weight down for over five seconds on his first lift,I acted like I was mad at my son after the judge wouldn't give him a good lift.While it looked like I was giving my son a really hard time,I was actually pointing at him like I was the Devil but telling him the judge had screwed him over and this might help him on the next lift.Sure enough as soon as he took the weight down,the judge told him to press about as quick as it touched his chest.That was also for a world record and the next left went just as easily.

34 minutes ago, Throwdeslant said:

I knew it was going to be that kind of night when the official started the game by sending two players to the sideline for not having their jerseys tucked in. It got worse from that point on. Was shocked that he didn’t throw a flag for excessive celebration as Alcoa loaded the bus after the game… Who knows, he just might have…B)

Love the humor! How about the sack after the injured Tornado was taken to the ambulance? Oh no! The teenagers are too excited!

Had the opportunity to watch this game on Mark Packer's broadcast last night. Awesome game as a fan! Haven't seen Alcoa on their heels like that in some time. The officials reminded me of that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial to keep West in the game at times. Always disheartening to see them obviously trying to impact the outcome of the game. The team that should've won, did. Best of luck to both teams as they move forward this season!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, thefox said:

Love the humor! How about the sack after the injured Tornado was taken to the ambulance? Oh no! The teenagers are too excited!

They didn't flag that for the celebration. They flagged #50 who came in after the play and stood over the QB who was still on the ground. Not sure if he said something, but they flagged him for taunting.

New here as an actual poster to the T but I’ve followed this message board for a few years. Always loved the threads regarding these high school football games we all love to see. I am a former Alcoa player that played on the 2005 and 2006 championship teams and graduated in 2008 with Randall Cobb. Just giving a little info of relationship and ties to the Alcoa program.

Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, I wanted to share my thoughts on the game last night. I watched on my phone while at my sons little league football practice. While I agree that “some” of the penalties called on Alcoa were legit. There were a few that had me scratching my head and I dare say downright infuriating. Especially with the timing of the flags. They were drive killers!!! Honestly you can throw a flag on every play in little league, middle school, high school up to the nfl if you are going to penalize some of the blocks I watched. With that said Alcoa did shoot themselves in the foot and showed some uncharacteristic and undisciplined play at times and that can happen to a team when they’ve been punched in the mouth unexpectedly. They responded and got out of there with a win. Hats off to West. They showed me alot last night. Good game. Spotty officiating but good. Game nonetheless 

15 hours ago, thefox said:

The umpire used to coach at West. Just saying…..

Unfortunately, this happens far too often and it should be discussed more freely. I understand that there is an official shortage and it is not a glamorous job. These guys are working for peanuts. Packer opened my eyes to it with the special he ran in the past about how difficult it is to be an official. However, the Knoxville Officials Association must do better! These kids work too hard to have their efforts hindered because of the egos of grown men. Totally unacceptable. Reminds me of that scene of Coach Yoast calling out the official's in 'Remember the Titans.' "Coach, you just lost yourself the Hall of Fame" Do better, ADULTS! Let the kids play.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

Had the opportunity to watch this game on Mark Packer's broadcast last night. Awesome game as a fan! Haven't seen Alcoa on their heels like that in some time. The officials reminded me of that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial to keep West in the game at times. Always disheartening to see them obviously trying to impact the outcome of the game. The team that should've won, did. Best of luck to both teams as they move forward this season!

You created a second account within the last hour to act like an objective third party?

Big win for alco last night. Rebels probably felt like they let a big one slip away. There were lots of big/bad calls and plays in that game that impacted who won. I couldn’t understand why alco wouldn’t kick the field goals early on? Year in and year out, their defense is so good that they don’t need the offense to score a lot of points to win. They usually do and win by 40, but their D rarely gives up 14.  But against other good teams, and west is one, take the points and the win when they are available.

Shout out to the rebels #55 and that alco secondary. Those guys look good.

• CoachT locked this topic