Haywood vs Covington!!!

Kruger77

Covington was absolutely outclassed and overpowered in every aspect of this game. They didn't look like they even deserve to be on the same field as Haywood. Covington's offense is far too one dimensional and very predictable. They had zero chance in this game. Haywood could do just about anything they wanted on offense and Covington had nothing that they could run with much success on offense at all. I would bet a lot that this is one of the worst beatings that Covington has taken in a long, long time. 

Hats off to Haywood. They are the class of west Tennessee as far as I am concerned. They took another west Tennessee power and absolutely dismantled them. #7 for Haywood was the best player on the field and it was not close. He is one of the best I have seen in high school. He will be a monster at the next level. 

• Like 1

Man was I wrong.  I thought it was going to be a close game.  Haywood definitely played the best game they have played this season, and it was an impressive win.  Congratulations Tomcats!  Good game Chargers!
The last time Covington was shutout in on-the-field competition was in 2009 when Haywood defeated the Chargers 21-0.

Until tonight, Covington had not lost a game by more than 7 points since Alcoa defeated the Chargers by a score of 31-20  in the 2017 Class 3A championship game.

Lost to Alcoa 14-21 (Class 3A championship game)

Lost to Milan 7-14 (regular season)
Lost to South Gibson 13-20 (regular season)
Lost to Pearl-Cohn 20-21 (Class 3A semifinal)

Lost to Milan 7-14 (3 OT) (regular season)
Lost to South Gibson 21-22 (regular season)
Lost to Milan 0-1 (Covid loss - 2nd round of the 3A playoffs)

lost to Dyersburg 22-29 (regular season)
Tonight...lost to Haywood 0-33

Let's go Haywood!  Beat Obion Central and finish the season undefeated.  I'm confident the Chargers will regroup and make a deep playoff run.  I know that there are a lot of games to be played between now and then, but it would be great to see both teams playing in Chattanooga.

Edited by stacmot

I don’t know what the heck is in that water in Haywood County but I wish Covington could tap into it. Them boys were BIG, fast, and full of talent. Looked like a jr. college team out there. 

Covington has serious issues on offense and in the secondary. Lack of a passing game to any extent hurts us big time. They got to get something figured out there or any descent team will give them issues in the playoffs. 

Haywood is in a class of their own in west Tennessee. I’m curious as to when Covington last laid a goose egg. Hats off to Haywood. Very good team. Not a big fan of their fans sitting in Covington’s stands heckling all night, but it is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

I don’t know what the heck is in that water in Haywood County but I wish Covington could tap into it. Them boys were BIG, fast, and full of talent. Looked like a jr. college team out there. 

Covington has serious issues on offense and in the secondary. Lack of a passing game to any extent hurts us big time. They got to get something figured out there or any descent team will give them issues in the playoffs. 

Haywood is in a class of their own in west Tennessee. I’m curious as to when Covington last laid a goose egg. Hats off to Haywood. Very good team. Not a big fan of their fans sitting in Covington’s stands heckling all night, but it is what it is. 

Last time they got shut out was in 2009 21-0 i was apart of that team 

You know, these two teams could play 10 times and Haywood would win all 10. I love my Chargers, but Haywood is a much, much better team. And #7 could play for me anytime. He defeated the Chargers by himself, but he’s not the only weapon they have. 

I hope that Covington can recover from being taken to the woodshed and make a run in the playoffs. As I said before the season (in a thread about the Covington-Huntingdon scrimmage) our pass defense needs a lot of work. We will lose in the playoffs when we meet a team that can exploit that weakness.

I wish Haywood the best in the playoffs. I’ve seen some of the past 4A winners in those Cookeville championship games. Based on tonight, I think y’all can play with the best of them. Go bring home that elusive Gold Ball.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

You know, these two teams could play 10 times and Haywood would win all 10. I love my Chargers, but Haywood is a much, much better team. And #7 could play for me anytime. He defeated the Chargers by himself, but he’s not the only weapon they have. 

I hope that Covington can recover from being taken to the woodshed and make a run in the playoffs. As I said before the season (in a thread about the Covington-Huntingdon scrimmage) our pass defense needs a lot of work. We will lose in the playoffs when we meet a team that can exploit that weakness.

I wish Haywood the best in the playoffs. I’ve seen some of the past 4A winners in those Cookeville championship games. Based on tonight, I think y’all can play with the best of them. Go bring home that elusive Gold Ball.

good luck to your chargers in the playoffs and get that revenge on dburg