Oak Ridge High School Football 2022

CardinalGrey

12 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Coach Gaddis was not forced out, in fact they wanted him to continue, but as he said, "its time" and he made the decision with a lot of thought. He is leaving behind a potentially good team with a lot of experienced players returning, and some that were out with injuries will also return. He said he wanted to leave the new coach the same situation he came into in 1988, when he inherited a talented team and went 10-0 in the regular season and won a couple of playoff games before a narrow loss to a talented Oakland team. The same possibility is there for the new coach, whoever that may be, and it will probably be a couple of weeks before a committee can be assembled and resumes collected and interviews conducted, That process hasn't started yet. The job will be posted, then if all these guys mentioned are really interested they can apply. There are a number of good coaches out there, most are currently employed, so they have to decide if they want to stay or try for this job. I also understand OR will need a number of assistant coaches as some will go to Hardin Valley with Coach Miner, which is a great hire for them by the way. I am sure all the potential coaches mentioned know the deal and will actually apply and who gets offers. OR has to get this right, it is an end of an era and the beginning of a new one,

Big changes for sure at OR with Gaddis and Miner both gone. As you say, some will go with Miner, some others may retire, and the new coach may not retain some of the current assistant coaches. I just hope they get this done and bring in the new coach in January

I just hope our guys doing the hiring thoroughly think this over. Like Cactus was saying, this is a VERY important hire, and not something we should jump the gun on. Not saying anybody is, but it’s imperative we don’t, IMO. I would completely exhaust all resources available.

Edited by SweetScience

17 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Not close to the situation, but on the outside just looks like it wasn't a good fit. You can read Cummming's comments about talking the job at Halls and deduce as much

Yep.  For whatever reasons, it just didn't work from either side there.  

I like Scott a lot.  He's a good football coach, and was always a great interview because he said what he was thinking, which sometimes got him in trouble, but I loved his honesty.  

Just now, oridgecat said:

There's a lot of factors that went into what happened at Cleveland.  No need to speculate on what happened.  Only people that really understand what was going on were there, first hand.  I would agree with MTF, sum it all up with "not a good fit".

When he was at Cleveland, he was competing in 6A region with Maryville. Not that 5A isn't tough in East TN, but Oak Ridge is a more realistic place to run the table than Cleveland having to play Maryville every year in Region and again in 2nd/3rd Round. I think he could be a great fit.

8 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

When he was at Cleveland, he was competing in 6A region with Maryville. Not that 5A isn't tough in East TN, but Oak Ridge is a more realistic place to run the table than Cleveland having to play Maryville every year in Region and again in 2nd/3rd Round. I think he could be a great fit.

OR is the biggest 5A school, so good chance they end up being 6A in a few years. Can't face Maryville in the playoffs when you go 0/3. I think Cummings could be a good hire, but like SS, his time at Cleveland makes me think there are better, realistic candidates out there

• Upvote 1