Oak Ridge vs. Bearden

boyfromsi

It was a great game to watch and Oak Ridge really missed a couple players no doubt but I was impressed with how hard both teams fought . I do have a question about the end of the Game , I thought the Oak Ridge TE made it all the way to the 10 yard line only to be spotted back at the 15 , this caused OR to lose a lot of time getting the first down on the next play . I tried to go back and watch that play again but it messed my stream up , was I just seeing things or did anyone else think this too ? Not trying to take anything away from either team , both teams deserved to win , I was just curious if my Old eyes let me down . 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GaddyDaddy said:

Compare it then? Football W/L yes. Tradition of football fans etc. check the history don't live on recent memories. 

I will be happy to compare it.  According to the TSSAA championships website, here are the title game appearances and championships won: 

• Oak Ridge:  9 title games with 7 championships 
  • Maryville: 24 title games with 17 championships (since 1970)
  • Alcoa: 22 title games with 20 championships (since 1970)

Oak Ridge did have 3 of those championships from 1956-1962, so they were the better program for 6 years and maybe 14 if you go until 1970.   But since 1970, the last 50 years, the totals are 4 championships for ORHS (last one in 1991) and then the 17 and 20 championships for Maryville. 

Nobody can fairly or accurately compare fan tradition without bias, but in the last 50 years Oak Ridge is definitely 3rd place in making it to the championship game or winning it.  That is the only tangible stat we have to compare.  Blankenship is a neat venue though.  

That is the history I was able to find, but I guess your definition of recent memories goes back before 1970...

7 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Here's is my prediction for OR after Bearden.

First hat's off to Bearden, tough team and deserved to win. Wish them well.

I predict OR gets about 5-7 kids back around mid season, that plus the team acclimating better to Coach Cummings ideas as opposed to the past stuff they were used to will cause OR to become good late. Especially as the OL improves. 

Right now OR is better than last year already, Bearden would have beaten us last year about 21-0, we simply could not move the ball last season at all. The other team kept the ball last year 90% of the time  except for a team or 2 that were beyond awful.

I predict IF we make the playoffs we'll surprise some playoff teams who see a 4-5 loss team and assume we suck.  I think OR will be a 5A load late this season. Right now, we'll have a really difficult time beating good teams.

BTW, I don't get the idea our QB is awful, he looked fairly good to me. I've seen way worse here and other places.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2011Class said:

Did you see what Campbell county’s QB did as a sophomore?? Trust me Oak ridge has the worst QB in the region maybe the state

Agree with what others have said. After two starts he has done well. He grabbed the ball many times from the turf, made the handoffs, and had a game winning drive the last drive that ended a great athletic play that could have very well won the game. He threw darts to #8. And managed the game pretty well against a good team. CC played a very bad Heritage team. Last week our starters including him played a quarter and half and he had three tds. We had zero of our starting recievers the second half, several of our line was hurt, and yet we still moved the ball against a very good defense. One that if you know football is very hard for a new qb to read with 5 dbs on every play. The wildcats and our qb will be fine. We get 13 back next week and that will open up the field dramatically. I believe him being a senior will help the team in the long run. They will only get better from here. 

Edited by Rwrbigcat

4 minutes ago, Rwrbigcat said:

Agree with what others have said. After two starts he has done well. He grabbed the ball many times from the turf, made the handoffs, and had a game winning drive the last drive that ended a great play. Threw darts to #8. And managed the game pretty well against a good team. CC played a very bad Heritage team. Last week our starters including him played a quarter and half and he threw three tds. We had zero of our starting recievers the second half, several of our line was hurt, and yet we still moved the ball against a very good defense. One that if you know football is very hard for a new qb to read with 5 dbs on every play. The wildcats and our qb will be fine. We get 13 back next week and that will open up the field dramatically. 

Yeah, there were a lot of low snaps by the Center last night. I’m sure there were different reasons for that, but that’s something we’ll get better at. He did a good job. He definitely wasn’t the reason we lost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah, there were a lot of low snaps by the Center last night. I’m sure there were different reasons for that, but that’s something we’ll get better at. He did a good job. He definitely wasn’t the reason we lost.

One of the reasons was the huge NT in front of him I’m sure. That young man was huge and fast. The line held their own  for their age and each one is getting better. Hope we get the other two guys back to help with depth. 

Edited by Rwrbigcat

20 minutes ago, Rwrbigcat said:

One of the reasons was the huge NT in front of him I’m sure. That young man was huge and fast. The line held their own and for the age of most of them are also getting better. 

Yeah, that D line was STOUT. They’ll be a problem for every team they play, not named Maryville.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Well this was one of my upsets in Barney's Favorites last night.  Don't like to be made a fool out of, what happened to the team team that is much more superior, did everyone go to Big Ed's and eat to much pizza before the game. I need some answers.

Now Barney, who can blame someone for going to Big Ed's and coming out feeling bloooooooated! Great place! Lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Icebox89 said:

I really hope you are a kid. No way an adult would blast a higher schooler like he’s some player on your fantasy football team. Or at least I would hope not. 

That’s the problem now y’all are soft it’s sports you get criticized in sports it comes with it nobody’s speaking on him as a person we’re talking specifically the QB position & he has played horrible