How to improve the playoffs

ReitzFan

With a lot of Regions having 7 teams, and the top 2 or 3 even matter year in year out, even when programs fall off while others build, the top 2 or 3 teams are all that matters when it comes playoff time. Have to play everyone in the region, but cut 2-3 games out of the reg season against opponents that don't matter for whatever reason; different class, even diff state for some of us. You'd still get a game or 2 to play your main rival neighbor if they are in another region or class, but save those reg season oddball games and start the playoffs early. Have a losers bracket for the first couple rounds to be able to get back into the dance. Make the playoffs mean something before round 2 or even 3 sometimes. These blowout games are no good for anyone. Most teams get testy when they are getting romped and all it does it get kids hurt that actually have a shot to go far.

36 minutes ago, SpottedGoat said:

With a lot of Regions having 7 teams, and the top 2 or 3 even matter year in year out, even when programs fall off while others build, the top 2 or 3 teams are all that matters when it comes playoff time. Have to play everyone in the region, but cut 2-3 games out of the reg season against opponents that don't matter for whatever reason; different class, even diff state for some of us. You'd still get a game or 2 to play your main rival neighbor if they are in another region or class, but save those reg season oddball games and start the playoffs early. Have a losers bracket for the first couple rounds to be able to get back into the dance. Make the playoffs mean something before round 2 or even 3 sometimes. These blowout games are no good for anyone. Most teams get testy when they are getting romped and all it does it get kids hurt that actually have a shot to go far.

I miss the days when a Region Champion earned a playoff spot. 

4 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I don't think there will ever be a reduction in the number of classes. There are alot of sub standard teams making the show in each class. Do you want to improve the overall quality of the playoff field? Of course you do. Nobody wants to see the same old 4 at 1 seed blowouts that are so poorly attended that the host loses money. I think we all agree on this. I have  a simple solution that will automatically increase field quality while having the least possible financial impact. 

The solution is to not allow the 4 seed from each region to qualify for the playoffs and give all first seed teams a first round bye as a reward for being region champion. All first round games are 2 v 3 seed. A partial bracket example using regions 7 and 8 as the example. Region 7 #1 gets top bracket bye and will play winner of game between region 7 #3 at region 8 #2. The bottom of the bracket has region 8 #1 with a bye and then playing winner of region 8 #3 at region 7 #2.  Will there be some bad 2v3 games? Maybe so. Since most 4 at 1 seeds are horrible , those are gone. 2 seed v 3 seed games usually are better. You are eliminating 8 teams in each class, D1 1A thru 6A. 8 mostly lopsided games per class are eliminated. You get the net effect  of basically eliminating a class (8 #4 seeds per class) while not eliminating any championships. You ensure a higher quality field to start your playoffs with and also give the remaining teams a better financial situation and you keep the 4 seeds at home which saves them money they really don't need to spend on busses and food when the chance of a victory are virtually non-existant. Seems pretty simple to me. My proposal I think goes a long way towards increasing field quality while giving my new system more of an old school feel. It's a win win for all. Thus is all just my opinion.

I like this idea, as well as mixing up the region match ups like Georgia appears to do. I can't see how it helps a kid when he plays for a 2-8 4 seeded team getting trampled 60-0 on his last game of his (likely) football career. I understand those cinderella teams come around every so often but just don't think it's often enough to have those games!

Good idea!

1 hour ago, TSSAAfootball said:

I noticed Kentucky in Single A uses an RPI system to seed teams. I have no idea if it works or not, but I did find it interesting. 

Ohio does something similar but for all classifications. Each class is broken into 4 regional quads, and teams are seeded in each quad based on RPI/computer ranking. The quad champs meet in the Final 4. There's also no split between public and private (they use the multiplier).

Edited by osunut2

Our current playoff model is the most profitable for T$$AA and requires the least amount of work. No late night seedings and groupings to worry with. Just plug and play into the same bracket they've used for twenty years and show up at the gate with your hand out. If some of the 4 seeds have TV crews then there's even more money for T$$AA to charge extra fees to broadcast to the parents and grandparents who can't get out but enjoy watching their team and their kids. 

We don't have to invent the wheel here, as mentioned, other states have better systems in place and have worked the kinks out for us. Just adopt what they do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Salem said:

If some of the 4 seeds have TV crews then there's even more money for T$$AA to charge extra fees to broadcast to the parents and grandparents who can't get out but enjoy watching their team and their kids. 

The TSSAA already charges an outrageous fee of $750 to video live stream or broadcast a single playoff game yet radio stations don't have to pay a dime. Don't give the TSSAA anymore ideas. And don't get me started about that awful NFHS deal that the state and many foolish schools use now that is very discriminatory.  I'll have to start another post about those jackwagons. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Salem said:

Our current playoff model is the most profitable for T$$AA and requires the least amount of work. No late night seedings and groupings to worry with. Just plug and play into the same bracket they've used for twenty years and show up at the gate with your hand out. If some of the 4 seeds have TV crews then there's even more money for T$$AA to charge extra fees to broadcast to the parents and grandparents who can't get out but enjoy watching their team and their kids. 

We don't have to invent the wheel here, as mentioned, other states have better systems in place and have worked the kinks out for us. Just adopt what they do. 

Post of the week (at least). Zero effort and max return for it...it's here to stay.

Blow it all up. No classes in Division I regular season (Division 2 can do the same). Everyone schedules 10 games on their own each year, even if home and away the same season. Travel improves, closer rivalries renewed. TSSAA can assist any having scheduling issues.  

After 10 weeks, divide the 300 teams into 5 playoff classes by enrollment. Take the top 32 of 60 (computer ranked-record, strength of opposition etc), then put those 32 into 4 geographic quads. 

If it were to continue, just take 20 day enrollment from the current year. Lots of excitement with nothing final until week 10 ends. 

8 minutes ago, Indian said:

Blow it all up. No classes in Division I regular season (Division 2 can do the same). Everyone schedules 10 games on their own each year, even if home and away the same season. Travel improves, closer rivalries renewed. TSSAA can assist any having scheduling issues.  

After 10 weeks, divide the 300 teams into 5 playoff classes by enrollment. Take the top 32 of 60 (computer ranked-record, strength of opposition etc), then put those 32 into 4 geographic quads. 

If it were to continue, just take 20 day enrollment from the current year. Lots of excitement with nothing final until week 10 ends. 

That requires effort and resources. The current model requires neither. The current model includes more teams = more games = more cash.

14 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I don't think there will ever be a reduction in the number of classes. There are alot of sub standard teams making the show in each class. Do you want to improve the overall quality of the playoff field? Of course you do. Nobody wants to see the same old 4 at 1 seed blowouts that are so poorly attended that the host loses money. I think we all agree on this. I have  a simple solution that will automatically increase field quality while having the least possible financial impact. 

The solution is to not allow the 4 seed from each region to qualify for the playoffs and give all first seed teams a first round bye as a reward for being region champion. All first round games are 2 v 3 seed. A partial bracket example using regions 7 and 8 as the example. Region 7 #1 gets top bracket bye and will play winner of game between region 7 #3 at region 8 #2. The bottom of the bracket has region 8 #1 with a bye and then playing winner of region 8 #3 at region 7 #2.  Will there be some bad 2v3 games? Maybe so. Since most 4 at 1 seeds are horrible , those are gone. 2 seed v 3 seed games usually are better. You are eliminating 8 teams in each class, D1 1A thru 6A. 8 mostly lopsided games per class are eliminated. You get the net effect  of basically eliminating a class (8 #4 seeds per class) while not eliminating any championships. You ensure a higher quality field to start your playoffs with and also give the remaining teams a better financial situation and you keep the 4 seeds at home which saves them money they really don't need to spend on busses and food when the chance of a victory are virtually non-existant. Seems pretty simple to me. My proposal I think goes a long way towards increasing field quality while giving my new system more of an old school feel. It's a win win for all. Thus is all just my opinion.

Not bad, but instead of a first round bye why not have wildcards to make it in? There are some regions where a team with a winning record doesn't make it in due to being in a large region. And we all know about teams with losing records make it in due to the fact that they play in small regions. Here the T$$AA can still get their money, but there could be better competition as well. We all know they're going to get their money, but with possible better games they might get more of it.