Lake County vs MASE (Rd 2)

TipToe421

6 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

There are 3 high schools serving that 11,000 population. Union City isn’t the only one. 

But that's 11,000 in the city right? Probably about 30,000 or 40,000 in the county.Dont understand so many students would leave to go to Central and South Fulton.I doubt many go to South Fulton.Hard to believe that many students would drive maybe 12 miles to Troy and about 20 to South Fulton each day round trip.Could see a few but not that many.Dont see why they allow city students to go to a school in same county.Im not sure Dyersburg allows their students in the city go to Dyer Co and vice versa.

9 minutes ago, mrbigster said:

But that's 11,000 in the city right? Probably about 30,000 or 40,000 in the county.Dont understand so many students would leave to go to Central and South Fulton.I doubt many go to South Fulton.Hard to believe that many students would drive maybe 12 miles to Troy and about 20 to South Fulton each day round trip.Could see a few but not that many.Dont see why they allow city students to go to a school in same county.Im not sure Dyersburg allows their students in the city go to Dyer Co and vice versa.

If you live in the city whether it be Union City or Dyersburg they cannot stop you from going to the county school. If you live in the city you pay taxes that support the county school and so they cannot deny you admission. 

41 minutes ago, mrbigster said:

Not sure if this is relevent to this conversation, but we live in Camden and my son goes to Huntingdon. 2 different counties and no problems from the school.

6 hours ago, tiger355 said:

So your saying that spending money on children’s education is a waste of taxpayer money. I guess public bathrooms on the square and flower pots are more important.

You a total City Homer. . Be honest with yourself for one second. This had absolutely Nothing to do with Education. You’re pissing in the wind brother if you think for one second that City HS has more kids making a 28 or above on the ACT. . Have they had any? I doubt it. How many have received an appointment to the Air Force Academy? I can name 2 in the last 3 years. Education was the argument to sell this split but the City doesn’t even come close to the curriculum, facilities, faculty, or resources of LCHS. Period. You’re competing with Moore Co and I’m not real sure that you’ve achieved their level yet. It is what it is. You got what you wanted. This argument is a dead end. I’d NEVER recommend that a kid choose an education at City over LCHS. You want to see a City system that Actually does provide a better educational opportunity look up Tullahoma. Btw they CHARGE county kids to come there to make it up to the city taxpayers in Coffee Co to the tune of 1800$ per student. If and when City becomes the go to school for the most gifted kids and parents have the resources to repay the City then you will obviously be offering a better educational opportunity. Right now you’re taking anyone and everyone countywide for the numbers and the state money that follows with the tax payers taking up the slack. To all Lincoln Co Kids who are entering HS and want the Best Educational Opportunity do yourself a Favor and go to LCHS. You put in the work there and follow their AP Honors programs and Classes with Motlow Credits then you’ll be completely prepared to be successful in any college or degree you want to pursue. 

42 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

The only big problem I have with this is that your son is driving passed a high school (Bruceton) to attend another high school.  

Yep, but Huntingdon is where I graduated and where I want my kids to attend. The only reason we live in Camden is because the house we bought was the only thing available that wasn't overpriced and didn't need repairs for our growing family. Nothing against Bruceton. 

11 hours ago, IPOPU2022 said:

You a total City Homer. . Be honest with yourself for one second. This had absolutely Nothing to do with Education. You’re pissing in the wind brother if you think for one second that City HS has more kids making a 28 or above on the ACT. . Have they had any? I doubt it. How many have received an appointment to the Air Force Academy? I can name 2 in the last 3 years. Education was the argument to sell this split but the City doesn’t even come close to the curriculum, facilities, faculty, or resources of LCHS. Period. You’re competing with Moore Co and I’m not real sure that you’ve achieved their level yet. It is what it is. You got what you wanted. This argument is a dead end. I’d NEVER recommend that a kid choose an education at City over LCHS. You want to see a City system that Actually does provide a better educational opportunity look up Tullahoma. Btw they CHARGE county kids to come there to make it up to the city taxpayers in Coffee Co to the tune of 1800$ per student. If and when City becomes the go to school for the most gifted kids and parents have the resources to repay the City then you will obviously be offering a better educational opportunity. Right now you’re taking anyone and everyone countywide for the numbers and the state money that follows with the tax payers taking up the slack. To all Lincoln Co Kids who are entering HS and want the Best Educational Opportunity do yourself a Favor and go to LCHS. You put in the work there and follow their AP Honors programs and Classes with Motlow Credits then you’ll be completely prepared to be successful in any college or degree you want to pursue. 

I'd send my kid to City before LC any day of the week. LC been a racist redneck school for as long as I can remember. Lol. Smfh.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:51 AM, phil24 said:

I'd send my kid to City before LC any day of the week. LC been a racist redneck school for as long as I can remember. Lol. Smfh.

This is the exact reason why splitting the schools was terrible. If LC is racist then how do you figure City ain’t? Any human race can be racist towards another. Don’t let a smiling face fool you. It’s adults that are hurting the kids. We are failing our kids as a community with the segregation of schools 

35 minutes ago, Doc931 said:

This is the exact reason why splitting the schools was terrible. If LC is racist then how do you figure City ain’t? Any human race can be racist towards another. Don’t let a smiling face fool you. It’s adults that are hurting the kids. We are failing our kids as a community with the segregation of schools 

as of 2018-2019 school year, Fayetteville High School was 31% black and 54% white, with enrollment at 364. Lincoln County was 1% black and 89% white with enrollment at 1134. If you do the math, combining the schools would give you an enrollment of 1498, with 8% black and almost 81% white. 

the state average for schools is 22% black and 60% white, which still aren't great numbers. 

that being said, the City high school has a demographic closer to state average (better than state average, I'd argue) than the County school, and combining them would have a minimal effect.

unrelated to your post, but someone somewhere was arguing the student to teacher ratio was worse at City than County....for the record, the same school year (18-19), the ratio was 15:1 (state average) at City and 17:1 at County (worse than average).

Edited by jtm52k
math
  • Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic