Derek Rang new Oak Ridge coach.

SweetScience

3 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Or Joe Gaddis. If it wasn't for Oakland and Riverdale, Gaddis might have as many titles as Hale and his winning % is right there with Armstrong. That said, if Rang stays for a long time, home run hire, but he's never been anywhere more than 4 years. 

There are so much you can do at most of these smaller schools. I was always surprised when he went to Gatlinburg Pittman. Those people there still believe Benny Hammonds is still the coach. 

12 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I know you was dying to find out who it was yesterday and I thought you might have knew sweet science personally so I reach out to him so he could contact you and just tell you but he said he didn't know you. There wasn't a hint in the world I could think of without giving it away. All I wanted was for you guys to know you were in good hands.

I really was dying to know but if he's as good as you think, it was worth the wait! Thank you. Is he a friend of yours, or did you play at Maryville together?

11 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Or Joe Gaddis. If it wasn't for Oakland and Riverdale, Gaddis might have as many titles as Hale and his winning % is right there with Armstrong. That said, if Rang stays for a long time, home run hire, but he's never been anywhere more than 4 years. 

Well, it’s probably the best job he’s ever had, as far as pay, and just the school in general, but we will see. In his interview on 5star preps he seems pretty content to stay as long as he possibly can. This is the kind of big time job he’s been looking for. 1A and 2A schools with low pay isn’t where a coach of his caliber is content with, so I can see why he has moved around. He was never going to win anything at Gatlinburg- Pittman having to butt heads with Alcoa every year, so that was a no-brainer. Sometimes it takes a job the caliber of an OR to finally settle a guy down a bit. If anything, he’s gained a lot of knowledge from being at different schools.

• Like 1

Just now, BarneySox2007 said:

There are so much you can do at most of these smaller schools. I was always surprised when he went to Gatlinburg Pittman. Those people there still believe Benny Hammonds is still the coach. 

Maybe so, but he won a title at one of those smaller schools. This will be his 5th different stop going into his 10th year as a HC. I don't expect coaches to stay at a place for 20 years anymore, but Id be wary of a guy that moved around that often.

Not disputing his ability, his record is proof he's a winner but you can't build a program if your leader is only there for a short time 

5 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Well, it’s probably the best job he’s ever had, as far as pay, and just the school in general, but we will see. In his interview on 5star preps he seems pretty content to stay as long as he possibly can. This is the kind of big time job he’s been looking for. 1A and 2A schools with low pay isn’t where a coach of his caliber is content with, so I can see why he has moved around. He was never going to win anything at Gatlinburg- Pittman having to butt heads with Alcoa every year, so that was a no-brainer. Sometimes it takes a job the caliber of an OR to finally settle a guy down a bit. If anything, he’s gained a lot of knowledge from being at different schools.

He was making similar money to Oak Ridge as the DC at the private school In Mississippi,  but the head coach was fired after a year and nobody was retained.  

But otherwise, you are pretty much on point. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

No argument there. I hope for OR's sake he does find roots. Football in this state is at its best when the traditional powers are at theirs 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Does Gatlinburg not pay in the ballpark as OR? Truly asking because I did stop by the GP campus a couple years ago and it was beautiful. Just figured they'd compensate very well

4 minutes ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Does Gatlinburg not pay in the ballpark as OR? Truly asking because I did stop by the GP campus a couple years ago and it was beautiful. Just figured they'd compensate very well

Sevier County is pretty good.  Better than Knox County, but not as good as Oak Ridge/Maryville/Alcoa city systems.  

• Like 1