Traditional state champion predictions

Wrestlingfan22

7 hours ago, ghouse said:

I think it is important to keep in mind that the TSSAA state tournament isn't really seeded at all.  I believe that the word used for it is that it is separated.  The spot someone sits in the bracket definitely doesn't reflect a seed.

Absolutely the truth and it’s been that way since at least the early 70’s

9 hours ago, LocalHero said:

IMO they should seed based off the same years performance, not what happened the previous year. That’s terrible seeding criteria!!

Unfortunately most bigger tournaments are that way. Returning beast of the East placers will get seeding criteria over a higher nationally ranked guy.  

yep, until they moved it to the cow palace instead of UTC they didn't even have double elimination, it was follow your man. TSSAA has always been about the money, they do the same for every sport including football, so local don't expect it to ever change. Sadly it would take a little bit of time to do real seeding because it would take the coaches meeting to do so, now with zoom and such it would be much easier, but until a coach forces the issue it will never happen. If there is no returning placer in a bracket there is no seeding, only separating and there has been many times a finals match has taken place in semis or even the quarters sadly. It's one reason why a team score is a joke when having a individual tournament like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

yep, until they moved it to the cow palace instead of UTC they didn't even have double elimination, it was follow your man. TSSAA has always been about the money, they do the same for every sport including football, so local don't expect it to ever change. Sadly it would take a little bit of time to do real seeding because it would take the coaches meeting to do so, now with zoom and such it would be much easier, but until a coach forces the issue it will never happen. If there is no returning placer in a bracket there is no seeding, only separating and there has been many times a finals match has taken place in semis or even the quarters sadly. It's one reason why a team score is a joke when having a individual tournament like this. 

Tell me about it, it really makes no sense. Before the new classifications in A-AA came out, a couple years ago it was more beneficial to finish 4th in a region instead of third. We had two kids go to state one year one finish third the other finished 4th, the one who finished 3rd got a first round matchup and his second round was against the one seed. The one who finished 4th got a bye and was in the bottom half against the 2 seed. I know there arent really seeds, but there were definite favorites as they were the only medalist and one was a returning champ. But the draw made no sense it was more beneficial to finish 4th than third.

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

with it being down to 16 per bracket, it would be easier to seed it now than ever before, but i agree it still would take time. there's lots of moving parts. you have to have a seeding meeting, either every coach or a committee that is elected. you also have to have access to results to be able to compare H2H and common opponents, meaning everyone would have to be good about posting results on track. and you have to take any bias out, perhaps by ranking the other 15 kids in the bracket that you're not associated with, and let the average be the seeds. i think there are plenty of people, myself included, that would absolutely love to do it, that would put in the time and effort needed to make it right. But sadly, it all comes down to T$$AA and their lack of a care in the world about making it right

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mason422 said:

Unfortunately most bigger tournaments are that way. Returning beast of the East placers will get seeding criteria over a higher nationally ranked guy.  

Yes but TN isn’t beast and could do a much better job to seed state tournaments like northern more advanced states. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LocalHero said:

They need to stop living in the 70s then smh I don’t know of one other state that does that. It’s a joke really. 

I would suggest you contact Mark Reeves at the TSSAA office.  Until people rattle the cage of the TSSAA staff and Board of Control nothing will happen.  You will have to make life miserable on them for anything to change.  Good luck!

• Like 1