Title games on the move?

Bump11

As everyone is probably aware, the Titans are getting a new turf field. Something you may not be aware of though, is that in the press release, the team also announced they they are hoping to bring the state championship games to Nissan. Would be pretty cool to play in a pro stadium. I’m curious what the cost would be for T$$AA to agree though. 

9 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

As everyone is probably aware, the Titans are getting a new turf field. Something you may not be aware of though, is that in the press release, the team also announced they they are hoping to bring the state championship games to Nissan. Would be pretty cool to play in a pro stadium. I’m curious what the cost would be for T$$AA to agree though. 

The BoC selected Chattanooga to host in 2021 and 2022, but I'm not aware of a decision being made for 2023/2024 yet. At the January BoC meeting, there was a discussion with Chattanooga Sports regarding the contract for the 2023 and 2024 championships, but no decisions have been made yet. I assume that there will be something more definitive on the agenda for the meeting on March 1.

They should absolutely be playing at Nissan, especially with the new turf coming.

Edited by osunut2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

The BoC selected Chattanooga to host in 2021 and 2022, but I'm not aware of a decision being made for 2023/2024 yet. At the January BoC meeting, there was a discussion with Chattanooga Sports regarding the contract for the 2023 and 2024 championships, but no decisions have been made yet. I assume that there will be something more definitive on the agenda for the meeting on March 1.

They should absolutely be playing at Nissan, especially with the new turf coming.

Steve Hargis wrote a couple of weeks back that the TSSAA and Chattanooga were expected to extend the contract for two more years.  Be surprised if that doesn't happen.  

And on the new stadium in Nashville, I would be surprised if that happens from a cost standpoint.  And Nashville hasn't been too interested in bringing the games back there since they left Dudley Field.  

18 minutes ago, HTV said:

Steve Hargis wrote a couple of weeks back that the TSSAA and Chattanooga were expected to extend the contract for two more years.  Be surprised if that doesn't happen.  

And on the new stadium in Nashville, I would be surprised if that happens from a cost standpoint.  And Nashville hasn't been too interested in bringing the games back there since they left Dudley Field.  

I don’t see Davidson County ever paying the TSSAA the kid of money that they want to host  any state high school athletic championships.  What the TSSAA is doing, is getting a financial payoff from various cities to host the championships.  The TSSAA could care less if the venue is great, how convenient the parking is or if there is a crowd of over 100 people for any of the games.  Why you ask, because they will receive their money regardless if anyone attends the events.  It’s long past time to remove the redneck good ole boys from the Board of Control and replace them with individuals that are more concerned with doing what is best for the kids than what is best for the local school that they represent.  While we are cleaning house just go ahead and give everyone at the TSSAA office a pink slip and replace them with business people that know what they are doing.  Dealing with the TSSAA and their cronies is like paying for a steak dinner at a 5* restaurant but being served a McDonalds Quarter Pounder.  In the end they are the only game in town and anytime someone has a monopoly without any competition the public gets screwed.

Edited by cbg

1 hour ago, HTV said:

FWIW, I believe they are putting turf in nissan stadium so it would not be contingent on the new stadium.

To the last 4 posters, don't disagree with any of you. 

But it is all about the $$$, and since Nashville let the state championships go they have had little interest in bringing then back. Not enough revenue potential  for them in high school football.  College football and basketball and pro sports where they want to be. 

Live 10 minutes from Nissan Stadium, so won't complain if they do, but I don't think the TSSAA can offer enough guaranteed money to make it worth it from Nashville's POV. There a reason why Murfreesboro quit hosting the Bowl Cross Bowl, yet fights to keep  all the other championships currently there. Can't even fill up half of UTC or TTU, it would sound like a funeral service at Nissan with 20 percent or less of the stadium filled 

24 minutes ago, GoPats2019 said:

I'm not so sure Nashville won't pony up for the TSSAA... being at a NFL stadium in downtown Nashville has more of the potential for sales tax and hotel revenue. I can definitely see more people making it a weekend trip rather than Chattanooga, Cookeville or Murfreesboro.

Not really. A large majority of the fans who come to the Blue Cross Bowl games just come in for the game and drive home afterwards. The only ones who generally stay the night are those who come in for the late games,  and that's just not that many fans. 

And I don't know of many who would be willing to pay the $300 plus per night room rates the downtown Nashville hotels get for rooms every weekend as is. 

In the big picture it's not the kind of tax revenue Nashville creates pretty much every weekend already. 

3 hours ago, HTV said:

To the last 4 posters, don't disagree with any of you. 

But it is all about the $$$, and since Nashville let the state championships go they have had little interest in bringing then back. Not enough revenue potential  for them in high school football.  College football and basketball and pro sports where they want to be. 

I think the part that most people are missing here is its not necessarily Nashville not wanting the championships in the past. But more to the point that the Titans said they want to host the Blue Cross Bowl and have facilities (turf not grass) to host 9 games in 3 days. Plus Titans could better tie in the Mr Football awards in with the Blue Cross Bowl. 

3 hours ago, HTV said:

Not really. A large majority of the fans who come to the Blue Cross Bowl games just come in for the game and drive home afterwards. The only ones who generally stay the night are those who come in for the late games,  and that's just not that many fans. 

And I don't know of many who would be willing to pay the $300 plus per night room rates the downtown Nashville hotels get for rooms every weekend as is. 

In the big picture it's not the kind of tax revenue Nashville creates pretty much every weekend already. 

I completely agree about the 1 day trip, but downtown Nashville would have more of multi-day draw than any of the other city. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a gamble.