Mairvul '23 mostest inneggspearenced teem evur

STARSNBARS

9 hours ago, ILB1999WHS said:

I've yet to see football families move FROM California TO Tenneseee.  Now I do remember the opposite on occasion...

The only thing we've got so far from California coming to Maryville is a wide varity of their Fruits and Nuts which have to be counted in the enrollment unfortunately. They've set in on the City of Maryville like a Swarm of Locus busting the walls of the school down it;s so full but none play football to my knowledge. Last year you could drive around Maryville and there were so many California plates it was becoming hard to tell if this was home anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The only thing we've got so far from California coming to Maryville is a wide varity of their Fruits and Nuts which have to be counted in the enrollment unfortunately. They've set in on the City of Maryville like a Swarm of Locus busting the walls of the school down it;s so full but none play football to my knowledge. Last year you could drive around Maryville and there were so many California plates it was becoming hard to tell if this was home anymore. 

We've picked up a few Cali kids on the wrestling team, both come from good backgrounds so no complaints there. One in particular is one of the top 12u golfers on the planet and wrestles in the off season to stay in shape. I'm not sure who our best golfer ever is but he'll be pushing for that title by the time he's in HS.

Edited by JSamson7
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Brought up the same points I was going to make. Maryville is the 3rd best public program in the state, it just so happens that one of the top 2 is on their side of the bracket. Their still king of the hill in East TN 6A and very few times has it been close in the postseason. Don't think the list of coaches is long that could have done what Hunt has 

Talent level has hurt Maryville a little, but truth of the matter is there are just more families moving to Middle TN than East TN. If it wasn't Oakland, it would probably be someone else

Maryville's staff has been pretty intact for most of the Hunt's tenure but where the gap is biggest (up front and defense) is where Maryville had 2 great coaches leave. Gaylor had less talent to work with than Oakland, but he always had a nasty bunch on defense. I apologize to Maryville folks im drawing a blank on the OL coach but it's been a significant dropoff for them upfront

Maryville has created a standard of success where anything short of a title feels like a disappointment, but it shouldnt be. 23 straight appearances in the semis, that's something that Oakland or Alcoa isnt even close to and don't think it's ever going to be duplicated once the streak ends 

Finally, someone with some actual good points makes a comment on this thread, and appears he's an Oakland fan!  Thank you MidTenn for your valued comments as some Murvl fans think the sky is falling after losing in semis to a very talented and well coached Oakland team.

@Barney, no question the defense for Murvl will be the big question mark.  Losing the entire DL, a very good MLB and a good CB.  The other corner started every game as a Junior, is the sole returning starter.  But, the ‘22 defense had its fair share of 1st year starters including both safeties (both never got valuable minutes at varsity prior to SR year), JR CB and two outside linebackers that were seniors.  The “Will” backer started a game or two his junior year but that was it.  The Oakland offense exposed the lack of talent at certain positions.  But, if you recall, the last 2 games at Oakland wer even more lopsided (’18 &’20) and both of those Maryville teams were supposed to have a lot more talent.  **2018 was 38-0 and 2020 was 49-7 Oakland and FWIW, GQ last game, was a loss at Oakland 23-7.   Barney, seriously questioning why GQ left and you think it was because the talent was drying up?  Wow, he is now HC at a D1 University and you think that was his reason to leave- thats absurd, an opportunity presented itself and he took and look at him now.

Would ask those on this thread, maybe if the talent is less than previous years, its time for a change in philosophy and have your best, most talented kids play offense and defense?  Maryville has had a mindset to avoid players going both ways which goes back to Hammontree’s 1st season, 1993.  In recent years, you think T Hodge or I Cobb would have made good linebackers?  Or how about Vaughn or Ladue playing on defense last year or Manaker playing a H back/Tight End?  There have been a few that have went both ways the last few years but not many.

Last comment, Rebel football in numbers is high.  The middle school had 65- 70 kids last year (only had 55 Jersey’s), this year they are not taking 6th graders and they had 50 out for spring practice which were only 7th and 8th graders.  I do not see much correlation between numbers in middle school vs success in high school. 

5 hours ago, GeneralRebel said:

Would ask those on this thread, maybe if the talent is less than previous years, its time for a change in philosophy and have your best, most talented kids play offense and defense?  Maryville has had a mindset to avoid players going both ways which goes back to Hammontree’s 1st season, 1993.  In recent years, you think T Hodge or I Cobb would have made good linebackers?  Or how about Vaughn or Ladue playing on defense last year or Manaker playing a H back/Tight End?  There have been a few that have went both ways the last few years but not many.

GR eye haiv two stronglee uhgree wif this.......Eye meen Alcoee played Harris both ways laist yeer.....Latham the stud runner and DB att West played both ways......Okelund evun wif all the tallunt thay haid, played Taylor both ways and he rarely left tha feeled......Eye aint sayin' play'em evur play....Butt inn sirtin sitchyashuns inn tha tuff gaims ewe gotta haiv yore best athleets onn tha feeled.....Allsew uhgree thait Manaker, Noah and Gage ere two good've playurs two bee standin' onn tha sidelines beeside tha coaches, wif thair arms folded haif ov tha gaim.....Espashlee if'un tha tallent onn tha feeled iz knott upp two thes othur studs abillytees......jmo....:popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

9 hours ago, GeneralRebel said:

Finally, someone with some actual good points makes a comment on this thread, and appears he's an Oakland fan!  Thank you MidTenn for your valued comments as some Murvl fans think the sky is falling after losing in semis to a very talented and well coached Oakland team.

@Barney, no question the defense for Murvl will be the big question mark.  Losing the entire DL, a very good MLB and a good CB.  The other corner started every game as a Junior, is the sole returning starter.  But, the ‘22 defense had its fair share of 1st year starters including both safeties (both never got valuable minutes at varsity prior to SR year), JR CB and two outside linebackers that were seniors.  The “Will” backer started a game or two his junior year but that was it.  The Oakland offense exposed the lack of talent at certain positions.  But, if you recall, the last 2 games at Oakland wer even more lopsided (’18 &’20) and both of those Maryville teams were supposed to have a lot more talent.  **2018 was 38-0 and 2020 was 49-7 Oakland and FWIW, GQ last game, was a loss at Oakland 23-7.   Barney, seriously questioning why GQ left and you think it was because the talent was drying up?  Wow, he is now HC at a D1 University and you think that was his reason to leave- thats absurd, an opportunity presented itself and he took and look at him now.

Last comment, Rebel football in numbers is high.  The middle school had 65- 70 kids last year (only had 55 Jersey’s), this year they are not taking 6th graders and they had 50 out for spring practice which were only 7th and 8th graders.  I do not see much correlation between numbers in middle school vs success in high school. 

What's worse play a kid both ways or let him run the ball 25 times and join the Earl Campbell Club when he gets older.

On 2/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

I looked at the schedule and only eight games but the Alcoa game wasn't on there but who will fill the other void left by Powell and Science Hill ? Lots of people thinking Maryville could see it's worst season in over 25 years with the big loss of 10 on defense from last years team. We lost 2 or 3 on defense I think we're going to really miss but the way Oakland beat us I'm not sure I really care. My old coach would have thrown all of next years team in there if we were getting beat like dogs. The QB position is really going to be the big question again. One big thing that really hurt Maryville last year was the shortage of good athletes that we're all used to seeing on the roster. That's why Oakland took us to the cleaners. Once they hit the corner it was like watching a 4.3 guy being chased by 5.3 guys, it was all I could handle to watch what I did that night. I really couldn't say anything against the coaches because you can only do as good as what you have to work with which wasn't much on defense. The offense did at least show up some which was good. Just glad I had enough sense not to go or I would have ran into the first Cracker Barrell I could find going home and flush my Maryville clothes down the toilets or at least until I had them all running over.

Lol. I destroyed all of my Florida Gators clothes after they lost to Vandy last year.