Mairvul '23 mostest inneggspearenced teem evur

STARSNBARS

My thoughts on why GQ left is my personal opinion. Just surprised at the time with a young family being in the same place for twenty years would all the sudden move. To leave just to be an assistant at the time spending so much time trying to recruit teenagers to come to Furman for actually not much more than he was making at Maryville High. Yes now is the payoff being head coach at ETSU but he had those chances years before is why I come to my conclusion. I hope he does well at ETSU but the first year there he had many fans take to social media wanting to roast him. Things I feel may be hurtful now for him or any coach in that division will be the NIL money and the constant poaching from the big boys looking at ETSU as their personal minor league camp. Those type jobs consume almost two and a half times what a normal full time job for me or anyone else goes through in a week.

23 hours ago, GeneralRebel said:

Finally, someone with some actual good points makes a comment on this thread, and appears he's an Oakland fan!  Thank you MidTenn for your valued comments as some Murvl fans think the sky is falling after losing in semis to a very talented and well coached Oakland team.

@Barney, no question the defense for Murvl will be the big question mark.  Losing the entire DL, a very good MLB and a good CB.  The other corner started every game as a Junior, is the sole returning starter.  But, the ‘22 defense had its fair share of 1st year starters including both safeties (both never got valuable minutes at varsity prior to SR year), JR CB and two outside linebackers that were seniors.  The “Will” backer started a game or two his junior year but that was it.  The Oakland offense exposed the lack of talent at certain positions.  But, if you recall, the last 2 games at Oakland wer even more lopsided (’18 &’20) and both of those Maryville teams were supposed to have a lot more talent.  **2018 was 38-0 and 2020 was 49-7 Oakland and FWIW, GQ last game, was a loss at Oakland 23-7.   Barney, seriously questioning why GQ left and you think it was because the talent was drying up?  Wow, he is now HC at a D1 University and you think that was his reason to leave- thats absurd, an opportunity presented itself and he took and look at him now.

Would ask those on this thread, maybe if the talent is less than previous years, its time for a change in philosophy and have your best, most talented kids play offense and defense?  Maryville has had a mindset to avoid players going both ways which goes back to Hammontree’s 1st season, 1993.  In recent years, you think T Hodge or I Cobb would have made good linebackers?  Or how about Vaughn or Ladue playing on defense last year or Manaker playing a H back/Tight End?  There have been a few that have went both ways the last few years but not many.

Last comment, Rebel football in numbers is high.  The middle school had 65- 70 kids last year (only had 55 Jersey’s), this year they are not taking 6th graders and they had 50 out for spring practice which were only 7th and 8th graders.  I do not see much correlation between numbers in middle school vs success in high school. 

if you want your best players going both ways at 6a, aren't you even more likely to lose them before the end of the season?  I'd cite Vaughns injury as making a huge impact on the season.  Imagine if you double the risk of losing impact players?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

if you want your best players going both ways at 6a, aren't you even more likely to lose them before the end of the season?  I'd cite Vaughns injury as making a huge impact on the season.  Imagine if you double the risk of losing impact players?

Fair point about increased injury risk. However Creasy has not been afraid to play his best players both ways. He's done it his entire time at Oakland

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:17 PM, STARSNBARS said:

Tha littull fellurs weal haiv a vurry vurry vurry grean teem this fall.....Othur thain Gage, McCoy, a cupple ov linemuns on offence eye aint gott no idee hoo'll evun bee playin'.....Eye'm knott shore this yeers vershun ov tha Rebulls weal winn moore thain a gaim orr two....:unsure:

On 2/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, rebelwoman87 said:

I guess we will get a better feel for the team in a month. Spring practice starts March 20. 

a thinkin Booger thinkin that team down in Bradley county with that new scorchin high profile hire...... and blazin (no pun intended) youth social mediain assistant staff is goin to derail that plan...2x in a row

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

Edited by Booger
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Booger said:

a thinkin Booger thinkin that team down in Bradley county with that new scorthin hot high profile hire and blazin....no oun intended..... youth social mediain assistant staff is goin to derail that plan...2x in a row

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

Boogur thainkin.......:thumb:......Boog sumtimes momma sez eye knead a thainkin' bucket like Gomer haid.....:blush:

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. (1964)

Edited by STARSNBARS

On 2/22/2023 at 6:30 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

My thoughts on why GQ left is my personal opinion. Just surprised at the time with a young family being in the same place for twenty years would all the sudden move. To leave just to be an assistant at the time spending so much time trying to recruit teenagers to come to Furman for actually not much more than he was making at Maryville High. Yes now is the payoff being head coach at ETSU but he had those chances years before is why I come to my conclusion. I hope he does well at ETSU but the first year there he had many fans take to social media wanting to roast him. Things I feel may be hurtful now for him or any coach in that division will be the NIL money and the constant poaching from the big boys looking at ETSU as their personal minor league camp. Those type jobs consume almost two and a half times what a normal full time job for me or anyone else goes through in a week.

First, I hope Coach is given time to thoroughly implement his system, recruit his players, and bring in his coaches. My wife and I are season ticket holders and travel 450 miles one way to support our alma mater and coach. However there was little positive things which are stereotypically Maryville that was not evident at State. I felt like Coach was walking on eggs. Just take over and if a few feelings are hurt, so be it.

Luckily for this next murvil team, HS football has turned into a playoff sport. No doubt that’s it’s better to play at home. Even with the crazy official assignments, home cookin is a real thing. Nevertheless, a ten game season should provide some experience for the new guys. They shouldn’t be rookies at that point. It’s always fun to see how a new team develops. I hear a kid from IMG is moving in. Maybe he can help.