Favorite Wins & Overachievers

Making this a 2 part topic instead of making it 2 separate posts. We're all chomping at the bit for the season to start, so let's get some conversation going....

Of course every win in the playoffs is a big deal, but what are some of your favorite regular season wins that have stood out? 

Some of my fondest memories of the teams I follow were teams that surpassed expectations en route to a big season, so tell us a few of the teams you follow that overachieved.

One of my favorite wins by Maryville was the 2009 regular season game at Farragut. Farragut was beating Maryville 24-7 in the 1st half. Farragut was looking great in that game. I had to sit on their side because the Maryville side was full. Farragut fans were cocky as can be. They were saying Maryville was nothing. An hour later and 28 straight points later those same fans went from saying Maryville is nothing to Maryville cheats.

15 hours ago, REBELRON said:

One of my favorite wins by Maryville was the 2009 regular season game at Farragut. Farragut was beating Maryville 24-7 in the 1st half. Farragut was looking great in that game. I had to sit on their side because the Maryville side was full. Farragut fans were cocky as can be. They were saying Maryville was nothing. An hour later and 28 straight points later those same fans went from saying Maryville is nothing to Maryville cheats.

Phillip Juhlin & Buddy Jones.

1997 Gallatin played Riverdale on Halloween.  Riverdale was ranked #1 in the state and went on the win the State Title but that night in Gallatin they got beat down.  Only blemish on their record and it wasn’t close.  Hardly anyone noticed because of playoff seeding the next day. 

• Upvote 1

I will always have a soft spot for our 2006 team. That senior class went 1-9 as freshmen and 2-8 as sophomores before making it all the way to the semifinals as seniors. We got demolished by Hillsboro once we got there, but they really got the ball rolling for Henry County’s program after some very dormant years. 

The 2nd round 35-28 win at Melrose stood out the most to me. Orange Mound was a very tough place to win in those days. 

22 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Making this a 2 part topic instead of making it 2 separate posts. We're all chomping at the bit for the season to start, so let's get some conversation going....

Of course every win in the playoffs is a big deal, but what are some of your favorite regular season wins that have stood out? 

Some of my fondest memories of the teams I follow were teams that surpassed expectations en route to a big season, so tell us a few of the teams you follow that overachieved.

It has to be 2006 McCallie vs. Riverdale. When I was a student, one of my all-time favorite high school football games. The McCallie football team that year was something special, and their success on the field showed it. However, when they played Riverdale, Riverdale‘s running attack was just ruthless, with over 500 yards on the ground by the time the fourth quarter started. McCallie couldn’t find a way to them when they needed stops. By the time the fourth quarter got under way, McCallie was down 27-13 with just over two minutes left in the game. But McCallie went into hyperdrive, rolling down the field from their own 5-yard line to get a touchdown. The score was now 20-27. After the touchdown, they went for an onside kick, which they did not receive. Riverdale pounced on it like a hound dog. With a minute and a half left, Riverdale finally decided to pass, which, if I recall correctly, was the first non-screen pass of the game. The Riverdale quarterback slung it to his receiver, and a McCallie defender snagged it like a hawk right out of the air and ran it to the end zone to tie the game. The stadium is going absolutely crazy. With little time left on the clock, McCallie attempted and missed another onside kick. It looked like overtime was inevitable when a truly surprising course of events unfolded. As Potter (McCallie head coach) said, "They lined up for a quarterback sneak, and it looked like they were going to kneel it, but their quarterback actually ran the sneak! And our guys punched it out and recovered the ball." With momentum on their side, Potter called a play specifically designed for this circumstance. It was essentially a Hail Mary-style pass play, and they’d have just two attempts. The first pass was dropped on the sideline. The second pass was launched like a rocket with just five seconds remaining. Thrown into a hive of Riverdale players, multiple hands tipped it. "I think it was tipped four or five times," Bradford says. Finally, the ball found the hands of Walter Dozier, who ran it for the game-winning touchdown! I remember that day like it was just yesterday. I can’t believe it’s been almost 16 years. Crazy to think about.

Edited by Elias287

The Oakland-Lipscomb Academy game from a couple years ago may have been the best high school game I’ve seen in person. I didn’t have a dog in the fight, just went to see a good football game. I knew going in they were possibly the 2 best teams in the state but the game even exceeded any expectations that I had going in.

22 hours ago, Elias287 said:

It has to be 2006 McCallie vs. Riverdale. When I was a student, one of my all-time favorite high school football games. The McCallie football team that year was something special, and their success on the field showed it. However, when they played Riverdale, Riverdale‘s running attack was just ruthless, with over 500 yards on the ground by the time the fourth quarter started. McCallie couldn’t find a way to them when they needed stops. By the time the fourth quarter got under way, McCallie was down 27-13 with just over two minutes left in the game. But McCallie went into hyperdrive, rolling down the field from their own 5-yard line to get a touchdown. The score was now 20-27. After the touchdown, they went for an onside kick, which they did not receive. Riverdale pounced on it like a hound dog. With a minute and a half left, Riverdale finally decided to pass, which, if I recall correctly, was the first non-screen pass of the game. The Riverdale quarterback slung it to his receiver, and a McCallie defender snagged it like a hawk right out of the air and ran it to the end zone to tie the game. The stadium is going absolutely crazy. With little time left on the clock, McCallie attempted and missed another onside kick. It looked like overtime was inevitable when a truly surprising course of events unfolded. As Potter (McCallie head coach) said, "They lined up for a quarterback sneak, and it looked like they were going to kneel it, but their quarterback actually ran the sneak! And our guys punched it out and recovered the ball." With momentum on their side, Potter called a play specifically designed for this circumstance. It was essentially a Hail Mary-style pass play, and they’d have just two attempts. The first pass was dropped on the sideline. The second pass was launched like a rocket with just five seconds remaining. Thrown into a hive of Riverdale players, multiple hands tipped it. "I think it was tipped four or five times," Bradford says. Finally, the ball found the hands of Walter Dozier, who ran it for the game-winning touchdown! I remember that day like it was just yesterday. I can’t believe it’s been almost 16 years. Crazy to think about.

BJ Coleman was a stud. But, he did not have enough for Alcoa. 

22 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

BJ Coleman was a stud. But, he did not have enough for Alcoa. 

Haha! I forgot about that game. Kyrus Lanxter saved you all that game with a kickoff return then a touchdown. I don’t remember the score, but I’m pretty sure we were making a comeback. I don’t think a single player touched him on that drive. It was ridiculous. Oh, and Randall Cobb at quarterback—goodness gracious, that man was something else.

Edited by Elias287

5 hours ago, jhawk23 said:

The Oakland-Lipscomb Academy game from a couple years ago may have been the best high school game I’ve seen in person. I didn’t have a dog in the fight, just went to see a good football game. I knew going in they were possibly the 2 best teams in the state but the game even exceeded any expectations that I had going in.

Without question, one of the best I've ever seen.  Goal line stand by Oakland to win the game was incredible.  

45 minutes ago, Elias287 said:

Haha! I forgot about that game. Kyrus Lanxter saved you all that game with a kickoff return then a touchdown. I don’t remember the score, but I’m pretty sure we were making a comeback. I don’t think a single player touched him on that drive. It was ridiculous. Oh, and Randall Cobb at quarterback—goodness gracious, that man was something else.

Yup. We where awe struck at how beautiful the McCallie campus was. Great two years series.

Kyrus could Fly.

image.png.c89dcb80ace28e861b0b7c1c9ccf54c3.png

Kryus with Coach John Reid.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

Without question, one of the best I've ever seen.  Goal line stand by Oakland to win the game was incredible.  

it was an incredible game but did not end to my liking.  : )

I think the 2020 regular season matchup between LA and CPA was one of my favorites.   it had been years since LA had beaten CPA and after a long weather delay, alex broome returned the opening kick-off 99 yards for a TD.  it was a good game back and forth until after 11pm if I remember correctly.  it was also the game that I think signaled things were different than in years past.