West TN Rural Top 10 Preseason

23 hours ago, Sherdog said:

Dresden scrimmaged West carroll and tca tonight. Dresden dominated West carroll and battled with a much improved tca. our defense was missing two starters and so was our offense so we are still not clicking yet. 

Both LC and Dresden has scrimmaged West Carroll.Wonder what most West Carroll people think.Are LC and Dresden pretty equal at this point just based on scrimmage.Dresden better than LC on defense? LC better on offense?Just curious.

20 minutes ago, mrbigster said:

Both LC and Dresden has scrimmaged West Carroll.Wonder what most West Carroll people think.Are LC and Dresden pretty equal at this point just based on scrimmage.Dresden better than LC on defense? LC better on offense?Just curious.

West Carroll looked like a bottom of the region type team that had no success against Dresden. Did they have any against Lake County?

7 hours ago, Sherdog said:

West Carroll looked like a bottom of the region type team that had no success against Dresden. Did they have any against Lake County?

Not sure.Heard West Carroll had couple long runs but LC dominated and scored at will on offense,not needing to pass.That why I ask if Dresden maybe looked better on defense but LC better on offense against them.And speed wise,how to Dresden and LC compare?

Riverside opens season as No. 1 in West Tennessee football rankings 

By Michael Odom | August 8, 2023 | 0 

A new season is set to begin this week. Teams have gone through spring workouts, 7-on-7 scrimmages, heat acclimation practices, scrimmages and jamborees to be ready to start the season.

Before it all begins, here is the first West Tennessee high school football ranking, which includes every school outside of Shelby County.

1. Riverside (12-3) – The Panthers reached the Class 2A state championship game last year before losing to Tyner Academy. Up next: Home vs. Collierville.

2. Huntingdon (11-3) – The Mustangs reached the Class 2A state semifinals, falling to Riverside. Up next: At McKenzie.

3. Henry County (11-3) – The Patriots played in the Class 5A semifinals, losing to Page. Up next: At Brighton.

4. Covington (11-3) – The Chargers played in the Class 3A semifinals, falling to East Nashville. Up next: At Munford.

5. Haywood (13-1) – The Tomcats reached the Class 4A semifinals, losing to Pearl-Cohn. Up next: Home vs. PURE Academy.

6. McKenzie (15-0) – The Rebels are the defending Class 1A state champions, beating Clay County 34-14 for the title. Up next: Home vs. Huntingdon.

7. South Gibson (7-5) – The Hornets reached the second round of the Class 4A playoffs before losing to Haywood. Up next: At Milan (Thursday).

TEAM USA: SGC’s Cade Allen named to USA Baseball 15U squad

VOLS OFFER: Humboldt’s Stephon Shivers receives offer from Tennessee

NEW DISTRICTS: What are the new districts for Gibson County, Weakley County high school teams?

8. Munford (11-1) – The Cougars were unbeaten heading into the Class 5A second round when they lost to Springfield. Up next: Home vs. Covington.

9. Dyersburg (8-5) – The Trojans reached the Class 3A quarterfinals before losing to Covington. Up next: Home vs. Dyer County.

10. Jackson Christian (10-2) – The Eagles reached the Division II-A state semifinals before losing to Nashville Christian. Home vs. Northpoint Christian.

11. Union City (10-3) – The Golden Tornadoes move down to Class 1A after reaching the Class 2A quarterfinals before losing to Huntingdon. Up next: Home vs. Ensworth.

12. Dresden (9-3) – The Lions reached the Class 1A second round before losing on the road at Fayetteville. Up next: At Westview (Thursday).

13. Milan (9-4) – The Bulldogs move down to Class 2A after reaching the Class 4A quarterfinals last season. Up next: Home vs. South Gibson (Thursday).

14. Westview (9-3) – The Chargers reached the Class 2A second round before losing to Huntingdon. They move up to Class 3A this year. Up next: Home vs. Dresden (Thursday)

15. Hardin County (7-4) – The Tigers reached the Class 4A second round before losing to Pearl-Cohn. Up next: Home vs. Memphis Business.

On the bubble: Crockett County (6-4); Lake County (8-4); USJ (10-2).

11 hours ago, maverick348 said:

Riverside opens season as No. 1 in West Tennessee football rankings 

By Michael Odom | August 8, 2023 | 0 

A new season is set to begin this week. Teams have gone through spring workouts, 7-on-7 scrimmages, heat acclimation practices, scrimmages and jamborees to be ready to start the season.

Before it all begins, here is the first West Tennessee high school football ranking, which includes every school outside of Shelby County.

1. Riverside (12-3) – The Panthers reached the Class 2A state championship game last year before losing to Tyner Academy. Up next: Home vs. Collierville.

2. Huntingdon (11-3) – The Mustangs reached the Class 2A state semifinals, falling to Riverside. Up next: At McKenzie.

3. Henry County (11-3) – The Patriots played in the Class 5A semifinals, losing to Page. Up next: At Brighton.

4. Covington (11-3) – The Chargers played in the Class 3A semifinals, falling to East Nashville. Up next: At Munford.

5. Haywood (13-1) – The Tomcats reached the Class 4A semifinals, losing to Pearl-Cohn. Up next: Home vs. PURE Academy.

6. McKenzie (15-0) – The Rebels are the defending Class 1A state champions, beating Clay County 34-14 for the title. Up next: Home vs. Huntingdon.

7. South Gibson (7-5) – The Hornets reached the second round of the Class 4A playoffs before losing to Haywood. Up next: At Milan (Thursday).

TEAM USA: SGC’s Cade Allen named to USA Baseball 15U squad

VOLS OFFER: Humboldt’s Stephon Shivers receives offer from Tennessee

NEW DISTRICTS: What are the new districts for Gibson County, Weakley County high school teams?

8. Munford (11-1) – The Cougars were unbeaten heading into the Class 5A second round when they lost to Springfield. Up next: Home vs. Covington.

9. Dyersburg (8-5) – The Trojans reached the Class 3A quarterfinals before losing to Covington. Up next: Home vs. Dyer County.

10. Jackson Christian (10-2) – The Eagles reached the Division II-A state semifinals before losing to Nashville Christian. Home vs. Northpoint Christian.

11. Union City (10-3) – The Golden Tornadoes move down to Class 1A after reaching the Class 2A quarterfinals before losing to Huntingdon. Up next: Home vs. Ensworth.

12. Dresden (9-3) – The Lions reached the Class 1A second round before losing on the road at Fayetteville. Up next: At Westview (Thursday).

13. Milan (9-4) – The Bulldogs move down to Class 2A after reaching the Class 4A quarterfinals last season. Up next: Home vs. South Gibson (Thursday).

14. Westview (9-3) – The Chargers reached the Class 2A second round before losing to Huntingdon. They move up to Class 3A this year. Up next: Home vs. Dresden (Thursday)

15. Hardin County (7-4) – The Tigers reached the Class 4A second round before losing to Pearl-Cohn. Up next: Home vs. Memphis Business.

On the bubble: Crockett County (6-4); Lake County (8-4); USJ (10-2).

Is this list based off how far teams are expected to go in their own respective classes? 

5 hours ago, RexKwonDo said:

Is this list based off how far teams are expected to go in their own respective classes? 

It was a list mainly based on how teams finished last year. I agree with Riverside being #1. Teams that are listed 2-8 are a tossed up, but I do believe there's a separation between the 8th team and the 9th team. I'm fine with Dyersburg and JCS being at 9 and 10, but I would actually have JCS at 9 instead because I thought they had a better season last year. Not saying JCS will be better than Dyersburg this year. Teams that are 11-15 were just average teams last year and will need some work this year. I wish Odom's list stopped at 10 and not go all the way to 15.

I know they had a coaching change, but leaving USJ off that list was unfair to them. They'll be fine!

Edited by TryNotToSuck

28 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

It was a list mainly based on how teams finished last year. I agree with Riverside being #1. Teams that are listed 2-8 are a tossed up, but I do believe there's a separation between the 8th team and the 9th team. I'm fine with Dyersburg and JCS being at 9 and 10, but I would actually have JCS at 9 instead because I thought they had a better season last year. Not saying JCS will be better than Dyersburg this year. Teams that are 11-15 were just average teams last year and will need some work this year. I wish Odom's list stopped at 10 and not go all the way to 15.

I know they had a coaching change, but leaving USJ off that list was unfair to them. They'll be fine!

Based on this I'm not sure i would have Riverside and Huntingdon at 1 & 2. Don't think they would be better than Henry Co. or Haywood. Covington, possibly (And i love my Chargers). But i can't be convinced that 1 & 2 are better than Henry or Haywood. No disrespect to Riverside or Huntingdon, great programs, just not their level.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dp81 said:

Based on this I'm not sure i would have Riverside and Huntingdon at 1 & 2. Don't think they would be better than Henry Co. or Haywood. Covington, possibly (And i love my Chargers). But i can't be convinced that 1 & 2 are better than Henry or Haywood. No disrespect to Riverside or Huntingdon, great programs, just not their level.

I agree with this. Covington is going to have a really good year. Haywood is always a beast and Henry Co is such a big school with plenty of athletes to pick from. Unless some big changes have been made, Riverside and Huntingdon is a toss up from what they both lost and bring back. It’s rare where a 1a or 2a school should be better than a 4 or 5a school.

4 minutes ago, Waker said:

I agree with this. Covington is going to have a really good year. Haywood is always a beast and Henry Co is such a big school with plenty of athletes to pick from. Unless some big changes have been made, Riverside and Huntingdon is a toss up from what they both lost and bring back. It’s rare where a 1a or 2a school should be better than a 4 or 5a school.

I agree with you. I watch a TON of football but Riverside and Huntingdung wouldn’t beat Henry Co or Haywood this year. They are fine programs but not there yet. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

6 hours ago, Dp81 said:

It's not about being "better." To me, it's more about deserving. I do agree with you that Huntingdon and Riverside would lose to Henry County. I can't say that about Haywood because they seem to have some issues going on right now. If it was being "better" Henry County can go 5-5 this year, if they play Huntingdon or Riverside, I may actually lean with Henry County. 

Again, that was a Riverside team that went to Chattanooga last year. They had two losses and one of them was by a 1 point. I will say Henry County's schedule is more difficult (obviously because they're playing 5/6A schools). However, it's a fair statement to say Henry County is "better" than Riverside/Huntingdon without being the #1 team because at some point, losses have to matter. 

If I were to have a list that BPM will list next week, I would have Riverside at #1, too. But it doesn't mean they're "better" than Henry County.