Riverdale host Cookeville what’s your thoughts

playoffs

3 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

Graham gets rid of the ball so fast that it's really hard to get pressure on him.  At least that was my thoughts after watching him pick Oakland apart.  Quick passes to the playmakers outside and let them do their thing.  Have to have solid tackling at the corner and safety positions.

Agreed its rare he holds the ball just gotta find a way to force them in 2 & 3rd long. He rightly gets much of the praise but even without Montgomery,  Riverdale has a stout WR Corps

18 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

Graham gets rid of the ball so fast that it's really hard to get pressure on him.  At least that was my thoughts after watching him pick Oakland apart.  Quick passes to the playmakers outside and let them do their thing.  Have to have solid tackling at the corner and safety positions.

Agreed.  I only saw the 2nd half and I thought Oakland gave too much cushion on the outside.  I thought the Oakland DB's would make an adjustment as the game got tighter but they seemed content to play several yards off the line. 

IMO This is not a good matchup for Cookeville's defense.   They have been good at stopping the run on defense for most of the year.   Not very good at stopping the pass.  We play alot of soft coverage and give short passes and underneath routes that cause problems with playmakers catching short passes and busting a big play.    I think they are going to have to play more press coverage and make the QB/WR make the throw and catch in order to give us enough time to get a decent pass rush.   

Offensively we will have to establish the run.  But we can not play one dimensional and win this game unless it is run run run run.   Our run game has been very consistent over the last 6 games with multiple 250yd games.   We mix in alot of types of run's (power, speed, screens, read/option) which is what they will continue to do during this game.  We do have a stud OL #74 who is a freaking bulldozer.  Most of our key runs are on that left side following 74.   If we can't run we are in trouble.  But if they stack the box we can definitely have some WR that can make plays.   I also expect the passing game and trick play book to be opened up this week.   I think Cookeville will have to keep the score under 27 in order to have a shot.   If they Cavs can run the ball consistently they will have shot to do this.  If they can't run the ball and the clock it could get ugly quick.  #GoCavs

49 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

The other alternative is to use some press  coverage and hope that the d-line can sack Graham before he can get it off.

15 hours ago, Augustus said:

The other alternative is to use some press  coverage and hope that the d-line can sack Graham before he can get it off.

And the problem with that is those great receivers could beat you deep and Graham will likely throw it on the money. Really tough to defend. I actually thought Oakland's defense did a pretty good job for the most part and Riverdale still put up 25

10 minutes ago, jhawk23 said:

And the problem with that is those great receivers could beat you deep and Graham will likely throw it on the money. Really tough to defend. I actually thought Oakland's defense did a pretty good job for the most part and Riverdale still put up 25

Your not wrong. In theory, making a passing team methodically move down the field plays into the hands of the defense bc they'll eventually make a mistake. Unfortunately for Oakland, Graham played the best half I've seen from a QB since Stockstill. You truly got to pick your poison and hope for the best

COMMON OPPONENTS:

Green Hill (Riverdale won 50-13, Cookeville won 28-20)
Siegel (Riverdale won 49-7, Cookeville won 35-14)

OPPONENTS WHO ARE STILL ALIVE IN THE PLAYOFFS:

Riverdale
5A Beech (Riverdale won 16-14)
5A Henry County (Riverdale lost 21-20)
6A Germantown (Riverdale lost 41-32)
6A Oakland (Riverdale won 25-24)
6A Smyrna (Riverdale won 36-0)

Cookeville
4A Stone Memorial (Cookeville lost 25-20)
6A Mt. Juliet (Cookeville lost 38-14)

SIGNATURE WINS:

6A Oakland (Riverdale won 25-24)

EDGE:

Gotta think Riverdale takes this one, they have gone up against much tougher opponents all season and done pretty well.

48 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Your not wrong. In theory, making a passing team methodically move down the field plays into the hands of the defense bc they'll eventually make a mistake. Unfortunately for Oakland, Graham played the best half I've seen from a QB since Stockstill. You truly got to pick your poison and hope for the best

And Oakland typically likes to play man to man and dare you to beat them 1-on-1 on the outside, but my guess is they thought better of that in that matchup because most teams can't pass like Riverdale can. If those two do meet again it will be interesting to see if Oakland changes anything up defensively. 

4 minutes ago, jhawk23 said:

And Oakland typically likes to play man to man and dare you to beat them 1-on-1 on the outside, but my guess is they thought better of that in that matchup because most teams can't pass like Riverdale can. If those two do meet again it will be interesting to see if Oakland changes anything up defensively. 

True, it's been a staple of the defense under Creasy and it works alot bc Oakland has been blessed with alot of college talent in the secondary the last 10 years. Most teams only have 1-2 threats they can utilize in the passing game, Riverdale has at least 4

19 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

True, it's been a staple of the defense under Creasy and it works alot bc Oakland has been blessed with alot of college talent in the secondary the last 10 years. Most teams only have 1-2 threats they can utilize in the passing game, Riverdale has at least 4

Poor travers has none. But yet MJ is oozing with talent. On a good year, we are going to have 1 maybe 2 guys that can catch and run. That’s if we’re lucky.

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS