6A Championship- Oakland v. Houston

MidTennFootball

10 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

This is from an outsider looking in, so keep that in mind.....    From what I have been able to see Oakland just basically lines up and runs the ball right at you for 4 quarters.     Not trying to act like an NFL throw-it-60x type of offense.         Upperman apparently does the same thing and ran all over Greeneville last night.          My opinion, and that's all it is, is that too much emphasis is placed on HS teams trying to run a spread NFL offense with complicated schemes and routes, instead of focusing on doing the basic fundamentals better than all the other teams you play.       It can be done at the HS level for sure, but year-in & year-out very few schools have the skillsets necessary to successfully live and die on a NFL offense.            Now maybe that only works with the right personnel, i.e., O-line that averages 290 plus a group of tough hard-nosed RB's who are not afraid of collision.      Plus, let's face it, 5 yards & a cloud of dust is a rather boring offensive scheme, so could it be that egos demand looking like a mini NFL team?                 Whatever your view on this, keep in mind that Oakland & Upperman are in their respective title games next week while the rest of us are out Christmas shopping.

Oakland has just always been a team that will pound the ball, that goes back to every title team we have had, even before Creasy. It's about knowing your personnel. There have been some years where Oakland threw for 2,000 yards.

Running the ball isn't always exciting or pretty, but it's hard to win a title in December slinging it all over the place 

• Like 1

I expect Oakland to stick with their basic formula of strong running game that beats defenses into submission.  It's also great for controlling the pace and working the clock.   Defense is very fast and loves to lay the wood.   These kids have seen and done it from middle school in RuCo.   Yes we get transfers every year but 95% is home grown.   They have big game experience and are battle tested from a tough schedule this year.   Yes I'm a Oakland homer as I've lived 1 mile from the stadium for 25+ years but most anyone would like Oaklands chances in this one.   Me included.  Go Patriots. 

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

This is from an outsider looking in, so keep that in mind.....    From what I have been able to see Oakland just basically lines up and runs the ball right at you for 4 quarters.     Not trying to act like an NFL throw-it-60x type of offense.         Upperman apparently does the same thing and ran all over Greeneville last night.          My opinion, and that's all it is, is that too much emphasis is placed on HS teams trying to run a spread NFL offense with complicated schemes and routes, instead of focusing on doing the basic fundamentals better than all the other teams you play.       It can be done at the HS level for sure, but year-in & year-out very few schools have the skillsets necessary to successfully live and die on a NFL offense.            Now maybe that only works with the right personnel, i.e., O-line that averages 290 plus a group of tough hard-nosed RB's who are not afraid of collision.      Plus, let's face it, 5 yards & a cloud of dust is a rather boring offensive scheme, so could it be that egos demand looking like a mini NFL team?                 Whatever your view on this, keep in mind that Oakland & Upperman are in their respective title games next week while the rest of us are out Christmas shopping.

I like the power run game although I prefer a passing component to complement it. It would succeed if you got the players to run it as with any system. Oakland is proof of that.

However, most schools don't have the linemen to play this style as much today.  The proliferation of RPO style teams is a result of the lack of players with the size of an Oakland, Bearden or Maryville (mention them because they are the best examples i have seen this year) in a consistent fashion. Plus, I agree, the kids want to play a more exciting brand of ball. And what is the saying... offense sells tickets, defense wins championships?

Kids today grow up watching the pros, using them as role models of what they want to be. The wide-open offenses throwing it all over. and also, the barking and exhibitionism that draws unsportsmanlike penalties in HS.

Looking at Houston - they may be the most balanced team Oakland has played all year. The Sr. RB is strong as is their Jr. QB. He spreads it around to a good corps of receivers. They do all this behind a big solid O line. On D they are good sized and quick which locked down a pretty good Brentwood offense.

Everyone knows what Oakland will do, no need to repeat any of it. Oakland will shed the penalty bug this week. 

Close game through 3 quarters, but the Oakland D gets it done late. Oakland 31 Houston 21

On 11/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, blazer1set said:

Ngl one of the best takes I have heard. As much as I am sad Bradley Central's season ended, I was just discussing with my buddy that if I had Oakland's personnel I would run the same thing and MAKE YOU STOP ME from running it down your throat

21 hours ago, alt1958b said:

I like the power run game although I prefer a passing component to complement it. It would succeed if you got the players to run it as with any system. Oakland is proof of that.

However, most schools don't have the linemen to play this style as much today.  The proliferation of RPO style teams is a result of the lack of players with the size of an Oakland, Bearden or Maryville (mention them because they are the best examples i have seen this year) in a consistent fashion. Plus, I agree, the kids want to play a more exciting brand of ball. And what is the saying... offense sells tickets, defense wins championships?

Kids today grow up watching the pros, using them as role models of what they want to be. The wide-open offenses throwing it all over. and also, the barking and exhibitionism that draws unsportsmanlike penalties in HS.

Extremely true. Kids like the big gain flashy plays. Honestly though when you look back on HS football if you were miserable playing for a team/coach and you have a championship ring, odds are you would've rather had fun since championships are only relevant in the few years after really. Obviously someone is going to reply to me and say "you live forever" if you are part of a state title team but I mean come on life is way bigger than high school football championships I think you would rather carry on fun memories to share. "Championships are fun" well you'd be surprised

1 hour ago, epatty said:

Extremely true. Kids like the big gain flashy plays. Honestly though when you look back on HS football if you were miserable playing for a team/coach and you have a championship ring, odds are you would've rather had fun since championships are only relevant in the few years after really. Obviously someone is going to reply to me and say "you live forever" if you are part of a state title team but I mean come on life is way bigger than high school football championships I think you would rather carry on fun memories to share. "Championships are fun" well you'd be surprised

So true in every sense. High school is 4 years…. It goes by in the flash of a light… life goes on we have kids grow old if we’re fortunate..Then we die and go to meet or wonderful maker and what we did for Him is all that matters. And what Christ done for us at the cross… nobody will ever focus too much on a past champion… only the new now is what matters to them…. Except the ones that were there. 

On 11/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, blazer1set said:

l agree. Webb School of Knoxville is a great example. They ran the Wing-T for decades and won many state championships and played for many and had some great teams. The were not always a power running team but there best plays were trap, sweep, counter and bootleg. Also some belly, quick pitch and midline sometime. They didn't throw it all over the field but could throw enough to be balanced. They didn't always big linemen but they were good technicians and well coached.  Now if you talk about training QB's and having them in a system where they can prepare for the next level, everyone says the wing-t and other run predominant offenses are not ideal. Well how many DI power 5 QB's come out of Knoxville and East Tennessee? How many ever played in the NFL? Chad Pennington played wing-t football at Webb. Andy Kelly played wing-t football at Rhea Co. l know these are only two examples. But l still think running the football is the way to succeed. 

6 hours ago, Bradleysports23 said:

So true in every sense. High school is 4 years…. It goes by in the flash of a light… life goes on we have kids grow old if we’re fortunate..Then we die and go to meet or wonderful maker and what we did for Him is all that matters. And what Christ done for us at the cross… nobody will ever focus too much on a past champion… only the new now is what matters to them…. Except the ones that were there. 

Amen & Amen