This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

1) Haven't a clue.  Temple has always had good kids and coaches, and they are very competitive in the sports that they have.  On the other hand it took us about 15 years of getting punished before we managed to build the program enough to be good year in and year out.  Maybe they can do it faster, maybe not.  Same applies to David Brainerd and Silverdale.

2) Not that I have heard, but with Temple, Brainerd, and Silverdale all jumping on the Football bandwagon who knows?  CCS and Grace may decide to start programs of their own.

3) Last time I talked to Coach Akins about it he seemed to think that we would stay in Div I.  The travel and expense of DivII really is prohibitive for schools like Boyd.  And the principal is not a big fan of getting out of school early for any reason, so the logistics of a DII schedule would be tough.  Also Boyd simply doesn't have the financial resources to offer kids financial aid, so DivI is the proper division for us. 

AA would be a tough division with Tyner...they had more D1 prospects on this year's team than any team I have ever seen.  And there is some lasting bad feeling between our staff and theirs since they ran the score up on us in '98 (I think) and beat us like 92 - 6.  We played 2 of the AAA teams this year (Walker Valley and Howard).  They were quality programs with good kids and coaches.  Truth is that neither the AA region or the AAA region has tougher teams in this area than S. Pitt but the general level of play is probably a bit higher.  It would be a challenge.

Unless they implement a URBAN multiplier, ERHS will drop to AAA for the next four year (2005-2008) so if you guys move up to AAA we will be in the same region with Howard, Hixson, Walker Valley, etc.

What does it cost to go to those other smaller privates?

Edited by ELA

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Haven't a clue.  Temple has always had good kids and coaches, and they are very competitive in the sports that they have.  On the other hand it took us about 15 years of getting punished before we managed to build the program enough to be good year in and year out.  Maybe they can do it faster, maybe not.  Same applies to David Brainerd and Silverdale.

2) Not that I have heard, but with Temple, Brainerd, and Silverdale all jumping on the Football bandwagon who knows?  CCS and Grace may decide to start programs of their own.

3) Last time I talked to Coach Akins about it he seemed to think that we would stay in Div I.  The travel and expense of DivII really is prohibitive for schools like Boyd.  And the principal is not a big fan of getting out of school early for any reason, so the logistics of a DII schedule would be tough.  Also Boyd simply doesn't have the financial resources to offer kids financial aid, so DivI is the proper division for us. 

AA would be a tough division with Tyner...they had more D1 prospects on this year's team than any team I have ever seen.  And there is some lasting bad feeling between our staff and theirs since they ran the score up on us in '98 (I think) and beat us like 92 - 6.  We played 2 of the AAA teams this year (Walker Valley and Howard).  They were quality programs with good kids and coaches.  Truth is that neither the AA region or the AAA region has tougher teams in this area than S. Pitt but the general level of play is probably a bit higher.  It would be a challenge.

Unless they implement a URBAN multiplier, ERHS will drop to AAA for the next four year (2005-2008) so if you guys move up to AAA we will be in the same region with Howard, Hixson, Walker Valley, etc.

What does it cost to go to those other smaller privates?

I think Walker Valley will be in 4a the next classification. That's what I've heard anyway. Also...with all of these Chattanooga privates starting programs...it looks like that would solve Boyd's travel problem.

Answer this, if the privates have a much larger pool to choose from than the publics then why are any of them still 1a?

It is the small privates choice to stay within a 1A enrollment size. That is the whole issue. You can do what you want when you want. You can get players from where you want. You can enroll 20 or 20000 if you want. You are making your own rules on enrollment.

Most small publics and many large publics do not have the same options.

Csense, my man. Miss you on the fball board. What do you think about Ryan leaving and Weathers being hired?

Here is Csense point in a nut shell. The privates can raid an area for the best talent and keep enrollment down to play the smaller public schools and beat the snot out of them with their own (public) players. And as far as the cost, their are scholarships to lesson the costs. When my son was in the 8th grade a private school booster tried to get us to send him there, to play fball, and I told him I wasn't going to spend 10-12000 for a high school education, he told me I wouldn't have to. They would give him scholarships to reduce the costs.

Edited by DeepBall

Boys we can all wrap up this debate once and for all!  The TSSAA is not going to split anyone out!  We will have some sort of new classification plan and ther MAY be some type of multiplier placed on URBAN schools. 

For too long, I lead the debate for a split.  That battle is over, we lost.  Now let's see what happens next month in Nashville.

You are correct ELA, the split is dead for now. Everyone would be better off at this point spending their time discussing ways to co-exist. Continued finger pointing by the proponents of both sides of the split issue will do nothing but make it more difficult to work together. It is time to let the wounds heal and move ahead in a spirit of cooperation within the guidelines as they will be for the next few years.

Edited by gobigred

Walker Valley will certainly be at least 4A, they had 1200 this year and thats just with 3 entering classes. They might even be 5A soon. Temple was competitive this year, they gave Copper Basin a decent game and beat Lookout Valley (who wasnt great but didnt go winless). I imagine they are playing in the region this fall, if they are I bet they finish fourth and make the playoffs. It didnt take Boyd-Buchanan 15 years of building, they were bad in 1995 then became good in 1996. I would guess with a 2.0 Boyd-Buchanan would be in 2A, barely, so would Chattanooga Christian. Temple will still be in 1A, not sure about Silverdale and David Brainerd but guessing they will be 1A still in football. Moving those schools up to 2A and AA just shifts the problem to another set of opponents.

Walker Valley will certainly be at least 4A, they had 1200 this year and thats just with 3 entering classes. They might even be 5A soon. Temple was competitive this year, they gave Copper Basin a decent game and beat Lookout Valley (who wasnt great but didnt go winless). I imagine they are playing in the region this fall, if they are I bet they finish fourth and make the playoffs. It didnt take Boyd-Buchanan 15 years of building, they were bad in 1995 then became good in 1996. I would guess with a 2.0 Boyd-Buchanan would be in 2A, barely, so would Chattanooga Christian. Temple will still be in 1A, not sure about Silverdale and David Brainerd but guessing they will be 1A still in football. Moving those schools up to 2A and AA just shifts the problem to another set of opponents.

I think Temple will have to wait until 04. Next years schedules are already established! We are on the last year of a two year contract!

Csense, my man. Miss you on the fball board. What do you think about Ryan leaving and Weathers being hired?

Here is Csense point in a nut shell. The privates can raid an area for the best talent and keep enrollment down to play the smaller public schools and beat the snot out of them with their own (public) players. And as far as the cost, their are scholarships to lesson the costs. When my son was in the 8th grade a private school booster tried to get us to send him there, to play fball, and I told him I wasn't going to spend 10-12000 for a high school education, he told me I wouldn't have to. They would give him scholarships to reduce the costs.

Hello Deepball.

You know I had an issue or two with Ryan. Even though there were some good years in the recent past, I still can't help believe that some of the teams underachieved a bit for certain reasons.

If I had my "rathers" I think I would rather have seen a younger new coach. This just doesn't look like a long term commitment. I think the last thing SD needs is to look for another coach in 5 or 6 years, but in the back of my mind I think they will be (if not sooner).

I would like to see some of those guys who were very good athletes in middle school on the field again instead of roaming the halls. I have heard that Weathers might be able to get them to the field, but he could not at Dade so only time will tell.

I think he has a much better coaching philosophy (from what I have heard from some RB grads) than Ryan, but that is all opinions and again, only time will tell.

Can't wait for week one when he goes back to "Tom Weathers" stadium (or field) and takes the opposite sideline. Going to be a heckuva game.

Not correct Deepball...divI privates can't and don't offer scholarships.

Answer this, if the privates have a much larger pool to choose from than the publics then why are any of them still 1a?

It is the small privates choice to stay within a 1A enrollment size. That is the whole issue. You can do what you want when you want. You can get players from where you want. You can enroll 20 or 20000 if you want. You are making your own rules on enrollment.

Most small publics and many large publics do not have the same options.

Not entirely correct C. While some small privates do try to keep enrollment under a certain amount it isn't for sports. It is usually a limit to plant size. Further, even if they had unlimited plant size most small privates do not have very big waiting lists currently. The most they could increase by would be 50 or so students, and that would entail letting all applicants in.

You are correct that privates set their own enrollment rules. But that is my point. The rules are set according to non-athletic criteria, so to claim that they benefit an athletic program is misguided. And, once the rules are set they are set...I think we would all agree that altering the rules just to help athletics would be unprincipled.

Csense, my man.  Miss you on the fball board.  What do you think about Ryan leaving and Weathers being hired?

Here is Csense point in a nut shell.  The privates can raid an area for the best talent and keep enrollment down to play the smaller public schools and beat the snot out of them with their own (public) players.  And as far as the cost, their are scholarships to lesson the costs.  When my son was in the 8th grade a private school booster tried to get us to send him there, to play fball, and I told him I wasn't going to spend 10-12000 for a high school education, he told me I wouldn't have to.  They would give him scholarships to reduce the costs.

Not correct Deepball...divI privates can't and don't offer scholarships.

Some of them offer other forms of aid, like work-study... Weed-eat for 30 minutes...study in the weight room for 2 hours.

Happens all the time East of 2nd avenue.