Maryville v.s. Alcoa

*MHSfootball*

you know what i think is funny, how all you alcoa fans get upset off because i post crap about your team.  who cares if i wouldnt trade your team for a whole truckload of left shoes, yes they are that worthless, and you actually want to come do something to me, seriously guys, get a life.  I've given my serious opinion on the game several times, depth will win, fiegler will get picked, linebackers will tire out lindsey, Maryville wins by two tds.

825312591[/snapback]

Raider I don't think you ever played a down of football in you life!! You sound like the kind of guy that's been a side line cheerleader your whole life. Do you need attention, because you sound desperate??? Grow up and show some class, and you may want to take Ron's advice!! thumb

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at that game.  Maryville had a much better team from top to bottom than Red Bank.  Riggs was also hurt going into the game.  He missed some game due to injury that year.  Maryville's defense this year isn't anywhere near as good as that one was.

825312860[/snapback]

He looked like he felt pretty good when he sprinted down to the Maryville students section to flex during the pre-game, LOL thumb

I think this year's rendition of the Blount County War is going to be a good game, but I agree with RR that depth is going to win this one.

That's a great post to get started on.

I agree with you about coaching experience. While Reid certainly doesn't have as much experience as GQ, he is a heckuva a coach, not that you said otherwise. Depth is really the X-Factor in this game, in my opinion, because I think that if Alcoa can stay fresh throughout the game, then we will be alright, and will win, but if Alcoa players start cramping up, or get worn down, then the game will practically be over.

I had to consider what would happen if we lost one of our primetime players, So I will ask you the same question. What would happen if Thompson or Clement went down? I know you have depth at those positions, but how much do you think it would alter the game?

825312364[/snapback]

Good question. If Clement went down, Maryville would not miss a beat. I mean the kid is a great play maker and I think Cade likes to throw at him too often at times. Last year I think this caused a few INT's. This year Cade is really starting to look the field and read what the "D" is giving him. Last year I was critical of him some because I thought he could have found a better open target vs. a great receiver like Clement in coverage. I hope Clement gets the ball several times in this game because the kid is a serious threat to a secondary and lays out great blocks down field for any other play maker when he does not get the ball.

This year, Cade has greatly improved in my mind and thus far this year has been on the money with a multitude of available receivers. Seriously, GQ has huge depth at receiver this year like no other during his tenure, in my view. If Thompson got hurt I think it would be a blow to the team. Then Derek Hunt would step in. I think Hunt as a Soph is ahead of where Cade was when he (Cade) had to step in and replace Rouse a few years ago. Hunt has a long way to go but he will be a good QB in the future if he keeps progressing. I do think the passing attack would be slowed with Hunt back there. Losing Hunt, at this point would be a disaster. I don't think Akins is near ready and maybe Maryville needs to look at the future here in the freshman class. Another issue. Maryville is again two deep at every position, a good problem to have when kids ate motivated to play. If you are a starter at Maryville, regardless of who you are you got a kid pushing you to play your best. If you don't step up or play the position the way this staff wants you to play, you'll come out.

Sorry to be long winded but I wanted to anwser your question in my view. To many people discount depth in HS football. Ask any coach how important depth is. Maryville's always develops depth and their record speaks for itself. Go Rebs.

Edited by FBEmeritus

Rebelsman Posted Today, 09:01 AM

If anyone is looking for REBEL78 he can be found on the "William Blount vs. Knox Central" thread. tsk-tsk-tsk. Oh......did I say that?

yes , gov78...er i mean Rebel78 is a disgrace to his Rebel family . he needs to crawl out from under that thumb and get back to being the Rebel fan we all know he is ... deep down .

Rebelron is right. I have seen almost every Maryville-Alcoa game since I was in middle school in Maryville in the early eightys. Alcoa always plays emotionally, they always come with their A game, but their never as balanced as The Rebels, always have too many kids playing both ways and if you get on top of them by a large margin, they tend to loose interest, like last year.

That takes nothing away from Alcoa. I grew up a Rebel, so I naturally have a distaste for Alcoa, but I RESPECT them and their game. This game will be as close as they've come in years to beating Maryville, but it won't be ebough.

Maryville 35 Alcoa 21

Nothing special, same effective routine, Biz as usual. Monday was film day, with shoulder pads, helmet and shorts.  Kids are upbeat and can't wait until Friday night.  1st home game is always cause to get up.  Whipping Alcoa is also cause to get up!

I'm sure Alcoa is getting up as well.

825313364[/snapback]

It doesn't take much to get up for this game. Whipping is a strong word this year, but Maryville should win by a couple. It'll be tigher thru the 1st 3 quarters than we want. Rebels will prevail though.