Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! you hit the nail on the head! The county commisioners in our county are "connected" to large land owners and they won't vote a property tax increase but should not have a problem with a wheel tax. Problem is all the other bleeding heart liberals DO have a problem with a wheel tax. A Catch 22!

825336703[/snapback]

You know, it's a sad statement in America when being FOR conservatives or FOR the liberals gets in the way of being FOR the kids. Whatever this board does Monday night, they need to think of the student in their schools. The student whose only motivation for working hard at an education is to be able to stay on a team, to get a scholarship for college and to work toward bettering their life. What about the pride and self esteem it gives those kids that wear those uniforms? What happens if that is no longer even an option? What about the kids that on an "empty" Friday night would be out getting into some sort of mischief and possibly doing something illegal when they possibly could be at a football game ("off the streets") cheering on a group of peers playing for their school? What will having discipline problems do for their budget?

And last, but not least, what about the parents? After a long week at work, it sure feels good to get out, scream your head off, and look just like every other fan in the crowd! :D

Edited by EZBeingGreen

Well, I guess you're right but here in Williamson County it's the, Harley Davidson riding, mid-life crisis, more liberal Republicans that are seen on the side of the road getting petitions to kill a wheel tax!

825336806[/snapback]

lol... I didn't know there were any LIBERAL REPUBLICANS left in the world! Well, except for the so-called 1 million "Log Cabin" Republicans! :D

I think the board members are in the bunker under the office waiting this crap storm out.

**** ANOTHER THING TO REMEMBER WHEN ELECTIONS ROLL AROUND. If any of yall have been in Ashland City lately yall have probably seen the primary school building... or half of it. The board found enough money to get that project off the ground (barely) then half way through, "ooop we're broke". Now there is half completed school building and a budget crisis. We are getting closer to the problem, and the sights are focused on the board not the commission. :D

I think the board members are in the bunker under the office waiting this crap storm out.

**** ANOTHER THING TO REMEMBER WHEN ELECTIONS ROLL AROUND. If any of yall have been in Ashland City lately yall have probably seen the primary school building... or half of it. The board found enough money to get that project off the ground (barely) then half way through, "ooop we're broke". Now there is half completed school building and a budget crisis. We are getting closer to the problem, and the sights are focused on the board not the commission.  <_<

825337022[/snapback]

Four letters for you to remember... NCLB! :D

Remember those letters on election day in November! :D

Tn. has the lowest taxes in the nation (did y'all see the Tennessean article?), yet people scream about paying an extra $2 a month for the kids.

But all school boards and directors need to show they aren't wasting money when they do a budget and not hire a bunch of supervisors making 60 thousand a year if it's not necessary. When the people (some, but not all) have confidence in their leaders, they are a little more receptive to a tax increase. Problem also is when a county commissioner absolutely wants a no tax increase because he values his job as commissioner more than he is willing on doing what is right for the community.

Hey, if you don't want to pay any taxes, go live in the Sudan...they pay almost nothing a year.

I don't have a problem with paying taxes, as long as they go to good use. Everyone uses the same "for the kids" excuse all the time. Of all the property tax, wheel tax, income tax, etc. increases, how much of them actually go to the kids? Probably not much. The reason most of the increases are needed is because of all the administration and bureaucracy that is involved in the public school system now. If they let about 10 people with a bit of common sense go into any school system in Tennessee and make cuts, I guarantee they could come out with a surplus that could actually be used "for the kids."

Moving on.....it is a crying shame that the members of the school boards continue to use athletics as their pawn. I hope the taxpayers and voters of Cheatam County do remember this come reelection time and kick these fools out of office. When and where is the meeting anyway? This has made me so mad I want to be there to see how this turns out in case some board members need to be kicked square in the................

I have heard that there is a commissioner from Pleasant View who is anti-tax, but he would support the wheel tax increase as long as NONE of it went towards education. What is wrong with someone who doesn't want to fund education? I do not live in Cheatham County, so I cannot vote for these people; however, I teach the kids in this county - the majority of my students are involved in some sort of athletics or the band, and these are the most important individuals at the heart of the matter.

Some of my best students are athletes. I have known these seniors for 4 years, and I know what a big part football, basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, softball, volleyball, cheerleading, soccer and marching band play in their lives. It is a real shame that small town politics will spoil the dreams of these kids. I care too much about losing some of my best students to keep quiet about this. I hope to be a part of a big crowd protesting this ridiculous proposal.

Guest riverrat

A point that hasn't been mentioned on this thread: The head coaches are not taking this stand just for the money issue, or just for their sport. Football and basketball can, in most instances, fund assistant coach supplements through gate receipts. But, they shouldn't have to spend gate receipts for that purpose, as uniforms, equipment, field maintenance, etc. also have to be purchased.

The stand is being taken for the minor sports. Can wrestling, track, volleyball, etc. earn enough in gate receipts to fund coaching supplements? In most counties, no. One school board member has stated that the supplements can be raised through "door to door" solicitations and fund raisers. No self-respecting coach is going to ask players and parents to fund raise to pay his supplement. Anyone who lives in Cheatham County can tell you that they have been "fund-raisered" to death. It has gotten to the embarrassment point for these coaches and student athletes to go back to the well time and time again. Perhaps the superintendent and school board should have to rely on fund raising for their pay.

There is no easy solution to the problem, but if someone does not take a stand then athletic programs are as good as gone in the county.

As a side note: One coach has already received a letter of reprimand for comments made in a Tennessean article. The board is also threatening to reprimand others and file insubordination letters on the head coaches. I'm no legal scholar, but the last time I checked, there was still a First Amendment. The superintendent also tried to ban the local radio station from broadcasting tonight's school board meeting. AND, I don't really like reporting unconfirmed information, but word has it this morning that the school board plans to meet at 4:00 this afternoon to avoid the 7:00 conflict that they know is facing them. I would venture to say that if they did that, the budget would be the least of their worries.

Please, if you are a parent, student, or a concerned citizen, go to the meeting tonight to show your support for our students.