Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Robertson Co. has an "energy czar", also. I have seen the work they do and I don't think it is money well spent. There are much better ways to save energy and modernize the schools all at the same time. But, with the way TN Counties run their budgets, they make it almost impossible to use the best methods.

Hey everyone honestly about the whole bush thing well wouldnt you all rather have your be safe and able to learn in college and not have to worry about fighting. Appose to is Kerry takes over saying we will fight terrorists on American Soil. Fighting terrorists on American Soil greatly increases the risk of injuries and casualties to innocent people,children,and spouses. So ask your self whats more important Being Safer and building an education, or playing sports. I meen yeh its a once in a life time thing to play highschool football. Key word ONCE. most of the kids wont go to Pro or even College football. But education opens a door to opportunity and success in the world of their future. Enough said.

What qualifications did that person need to be an "energy czar?"

825342683[/snapback]

I believe the energy czar (or tsar) position was awarded as a 1st runner-up to the interim director of schools prize.

To the idiot above this post, who was in the White House when we were attacked on our own soil by terrorists?!? Your buddy, W, that's who. Did you know that Bill Clinton prevented at least 3 Al-Qaida attacks that would have been just as devastating as 9/11 during his 8 years in office?

Your opinion on the importance of high school athletics is naive - they are extremely important for all the many reasons given in this thread.

Iheartwerdup, Sycamore sports are still happening & let's hope they kick some Montgomery Central tail Friday night (if the moat doesn't flood!)!

"SPORTS ARE THAT IMPORTANT" By Writtenword is the most ignorant (defined as; exhibiting a lack of knowledge) statement I've every heard. I'll bet the writtenword was the kid that was the last one picked on the playground or a less than average player who thought they were a superstar and it was the coaches fault. If someone can't see the importance of athletics in our troubled society then ignorant is the only work that can be used to described them.

825342121[/snapback]

B)

ddaddy, you're a comical little feller. I always found it interesting that folks who disagree with a point of view but don't have the intelligence to back up their point of view always resort to insults and name-calling. Back when I first discovered this thing called the World Wide Web, that would aggravate me. Now I just find it comical. Thanks for the laugh, brother. thumb

WrittenWord....the swiftboatfootball fans have just discovered that you are mr. stuart the school board chairman.....you have attempted to cover your insane actions with this holier than thou "spewing of some facts".

Did it occur to you that we are talking about what affects more than 50% of the student body. My daughter was in the band.......if she had practiced for 3 months and then this stunt was pulled ..I'd be po'd buddy. My son played football and learned a lot about life's lessons.

Why don't you come up with your own cure for this deal????????????????????

I taught and coached in Cheatham County for the past seven years. I have since moved to Michigan and have been following this event from afar. I have never felt compelled to add my two cents worth on any of these boards until now.

As for the present controversy- just alot of pettiness. And pride. It will be resolved but not permanently. Grudges will be filed away for another day. Revenge will seek itself in the next budgetary battle. Scores are definitely being kept. What a shame.

One thing I've learned- EVERYTHING RISES AND FALLS ON LEADERSHIP. When I read the comments from those in leadership in Cheatham County, it makes me sad. It's obvious some are more interested in power than leading with their heart. For those reading this thread, Cheatham County is NOT represented by the characters you've been reading about. I loved teaching and coaching there. I remember so many beautiful people.

Anyway, to my main point. I hear alot of blaming going on. One can't stand George Bush and NCLB. Another hates the chairman of school board. Some blame the county commission. I think I even heard some anger thrown the coaches way.

The bottom line is this. We are to blame. We demonstrate as a society what is most important to us by the way we spend our money. A wise man once said: "you show me a man's checkbook and I'll tell you what is important to him". Unfortunately, we have decided to value many things above the education of our children.

Tennessee ranks in the bottom five of the fifty states in its' per pupil expenditure. Cheatham County is one of the lowest in a state that is already near the bottom. I remember how excited we were as teachers when the teacher pay equalization was announced. Cheatham, as one of the designated "poor" counties was going to be able to give the teachers a substantial raise! That was great news for a man with five children and a stay-at-home wife. But alas, the county commission then decided that the raise (minimal as it was) that had been negotiated with the union was now no longer necessary!

I was there when the board took away the coaching supplements the first time. School had already started and we were informed that football would lose so many supplements, basketball would lose one and so forth. Of course, we were promised that the supplements would be restored.

Those kinds of accounting maneuvers add up over time and teachers don't take long to understand where they rank in the county hierarchy. Everybody says "it's for the kids"- usually right before they try to screw you.

Money isn't the cure-all. If so, our schools would be flourishing. Every problem is met with a proposal to throw more cash at it and yet, test scores continue to lag, and the general perception is that public education is inferior to private. Waste is rampant- did anybody really check the cost to stagger the bus routes? Or was it an idea that someone picked up from another district and it "seemed like a good idea at the time"?

I remember the arguments for and against year-a-round school. (or, the modified calendar as Cheatham now has) Both sides had their points, but did anybody think about the financial impact? Or was this another idea that will have dire consequences down the road?

I remember beginning my teaching career at Cheatham County Central High School in a building that resembled a UFO. Surely, the most inefficient use of space ever imagined. Another idea from some far-away place? On and on it goes. If there is a crazy idea floating around "out there"- no need to panic. It will find a home in some school system. And probably cost a bundle of money in the process.

I used to teach my government classes the most fundamental rule of politics is: YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. We, as a society, have decided not to pony up for education like we do other ventures. Of course, we expect our kids to be as educated as those that do sacrifice more. We are sending mixed signals. In fact, it is literally incoherent. Our kids go to gleaming NFL stadiums on Sunday and watch millionaire athletes do their thing. They see lottery directors making six-figure incomes and politicians giving themselves raises. Meanwhile, their coaches sell doughnuts and fast-food coupons. They learn from us that some things in life are more valuable than others and then we wonder why they don't want to pay for excellent education when its' their turn. It's the old "CAT IN THE CRADLE" thing.

That said, I realize sometimes things happen and belts do have to tighten. Someone has to be the "bad guy" and make those tough calls. If that person is a true leader, and has the respect of those he/she leads, people will be reasonable. But, if that trust has been shattered in the past- no amount of promises will suffice. I trust a true leader will step up and make the right call here for everyone involved.

On a more personal note: Watts, Rives, and Barksdale- It's your turn; Wish I could be there.

I taught and coached in Cheatham County for the past seven years. I have since moved to Michigan and have been following this event from afar. I have never felt compelled to add my two cents worth on any of these boards until now.

As for the present controversy- just alot of pettiness. And pride. It will be resolved but not permanently. Grudges will be filed away for another day. Revenge will seek itself in the next budgetary battle. Scores are definitely being kept. What a shame.

One thing I've learned- EVERYTHING RISES AND FALLS ON LEADERSHIP. When I read the comments from those in leadership in Cheatham County, it makes me sad. It's obvious some are more interested in power than leading with their heart. For those reading this thread, Cheatham County is NOT represented by the characters you've been reading about. I loved teaching and coaching there. I remember so many beautiful people.

Anyway, to my main point. I hear alot of blaming going on. One can't stand George Bush and NCLB. Another hates the chairman of school board. Some blame the county commission. I think I even heard some anger thrown the coaches way.

The bottom line is this. We are to blame. We demonstrate as a society what is most important to us by the way we spend our money. A wise man once said: "you show me a man's checkbook and I'll tell you what is important to him". Unfortunately, we have decided to value many things above the education of our children.

Tennessee ranks in the bottom five of the fifty states in its' per pupil expenditure. Cheatham County is one of the lowest in a state that is already near the bottom. I remember how excited we were as teachers when the teacher pay equalization was announced. Cheatham, as one of the designated "poor" counties was going to be able to give the teachers a substantial raise! That was great news for a man with five children and a stay-at-home wife. But alas, the county commission then decided that the raise (minimal as it was) that had been negotiated with the union was now no longer necessary!

I was there when the board took away the coaching supplements the first time. School had already started and we were informed that football would lose so many supplements, basketball would lose one and so forth. Of course, we were promised that the supplements would be restored.

Those kinds of accounting maneuvers add up over time and teachers don't take long to understand where they rank in the county hierarchy. Everybody says "it's for the kids"- usually right before they try to screw you. 

Money isn't the cure-all. If so, our schools would be flourishing. Every problem is met with a proposal to throw more cash at it and yet, test scores continue to lag, and the general perception is that public education is inferior to private. Waste is rampant- did anybody really check the cost to stagger the bus routes? Or was it an idea that someone picked up from another district and it "seemed like a good idea at the time"?

I remember the arguments for and against year-a-round school. (or, the modified calendar as Cheatham now has) Both sides had their points, but did anybody think about the financial impact? Or was this another idea that will have dire consequences down the road?

I remember beginning my teaching career at Cheatham County Central High School in a building that resembled a UFO. Surely, the most inefficient use of space ever imagined. Another idea from some far-away place? On and on it goes. If there is a crazy idea floating around "out there"- no need to panic. It will find a home in some school system. And probably cost a bundle of money in the process.

I used to teach my government classes the most fundamental rule of politics is: YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. We, as a society, have decided not to pony up for education like we do other ventures. Of course, we expect our kids to be as educated as those that do sacrifice more. We are sending mixed signals. In fact, it is literally incoherent. Our kids go to gleaming NFL stadiums on Sunday and watch millionaire athletes do their thing. They see lottery directors making six-figure incomes and politicians giving themselves raises. Meanwhile, their coaches sell doughnuts and fast-food coupons. They learn from us that some things in life are more valuable than others and then we wonder why they don't want to pay for excellent education when its' their turn. It's the old "CAT IN THE CRADLE" thing.

That said, I realize sometimes things happen and belts do have to tighten. Someone has to be the "bad guy" and make those tough calls. If that person is a true leader, and has the respect of those he/she leads, people will be reasonable. But, if that trust has been shattered in the past- no amount of promises will suffice. I trust a true leader will step up and make the right call here for everyone involved.

On a more personal note: Watts, Rives, and Barksdale- It's your turn; Wish I could be there.

825343059[/snapback]

Nice Barry. Well said.

Coach Barry,

Come back to Cheatham County & run for the school board. Heck, I'd even vote across party lines & vote for you for President after reading your statement. That was right on!

It's a shame you have moved away - you are missed! After listening to the school board meeting Monday night, my eyes have been opened wide, and I am sorry that I never knew about the way things worked in Cheatham County. Being from a small town myself, I am not surprised at the lengths these people will go. However, I care way too much about these kids, this senior class in particular, to see their dreams of walking across the field or the gym on Senior Night shattered by egos. I just do not understand how this board could not even WANT to take pride in the successes of the athletes in this county - Josh Garza may represent our school next year at Harvard, for the love of Mike! This is a county with a long history of the importance of athletics in schools - just ask Pat Head Summit.

I apologize for bringing up the W issue, but my bleeding heart took over. Barry's right - this is about leadership, but on the local level. From the response from the public, I don't think things are going to continue down the same path for much longer...at least I hope so.

Francis, I don't want to jinx anything, but we are going to kick your can all the way back down to Louisiana! :rolleyes:

Not to appear totally ignorant, but unless the state grant for the position of energy czar is less than the $15,000 saved, wouldnt the state of Tennessee be ahead to just write a check for the $15,000 to the school board? I don't know, but most administration positions are 40k plus. I had accounting classes in college, seems to me that doesnt quite add up.