CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

Algood,can,t remember if it was in Overton or

Putnam county?

HA! I thought of Rickman High but forgot about Algood which was right under my nose.And my dad even taught & coached there for the last 3 years of it's existence. It closed in 1966 when the then "Putnam County Senior High" opened in Cookeville.

Nicknamed the "Redskins"...Still are(at Algood Elementary).

THE SQUAD :)

Edited by THE SQUAD

I believe in Henderson County (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Sardis Blue Devils had a heck of a basketball team for a 130-140 person high school back in the day. The gym's still there but the school's been closed for a long while. And I agree, this thread is awesome.

Nearby to Sardis in Hardin County were Saltillo and Morris Chapel. These have probably been closed for quite some time.

Also, Pickwick Southside closed in the late '70s after the school burned down. When they reopened the school, it only included K-9 at the time. Southside was the Eagles.

I remember Sardis. I think the school closed in the late 80s and was consolidated into Scotts Hill.

Afraid I may repeat a few, but several years ago a group of us listed about twenty from Nashville alone. Let's see.......

West ????

North Yankees

East Eagles (go red and grey)

Goodlettsville Trojans

Madison Rams

Dupont Bulldogs

Pearl Tigers (Now MLK Magnet (Knights?))

Cohn ???? (Now a part of Pearl-Cohn Firebirds)

Cameron ?????

Litton Lions

Haynes ????

Central ?????

Howard??????

Donelson Dons

Two Rivers Pirates

Meigs Mavericks

Columbia Military Academy (Replaced by Columbia Academy)

Castle Heights Military Academy

In southern Middle Tennessee Lincoln County replaced Flintville, Central (Fayetteville), Booneshill and I think Petersburg.

Sad part is that with consolidation, it means there are kids who will not get the opportunity to play. Not great players, but students who should be able to participate. I learned more about life on the field than I ever did in the classroom. I learned enough in the classroom to get an academic free-ride, so don't attack with a jock-syndrome kind of thing.

Afraid I may repeat a few, but several years ago a group of us listed about twenty from Nashville alone. Let's see.......

West ????

North Yankees

Goodlettsville Trojans

Madison Rams

Dupont Bulldogs

Cameron ?????

Litton Lions

Haynes ????

Central ?????

Howard??????

Donelson Dons

Two Rivers Pirates

Meigs Mavericks

In southern Middle Tennessee Lincoln County replaced Flintville, Central (Fayetteville), Booneshill and I think Petersburg.

Sad part is that with consolidation, it means there are kids who will not get the opportunity to play. Not great players, but students who should be able to participate. I learned more about life on the field than I ever did in the classroom. I learned enough in the classroom to get an academic free-ride, so don't attack with a jock-syndrome kind of thing.

Yes...Booneshill..had very good athletic teams and coaches :thumb:

Blanche was another school.

Edited by wingman10

West ????

North Yankees

Goodlettsville Trojans

Madison Rams

Dupont Bulldogs

Cameron ?????

Litton Lions

Haynes ????

Central ?????

Howard??????

Donelson Dons

Two Rivers Pirates

Meigs Mavericks

West Blue Jays

Cohn Black Knights & Tigers (I think)

Cameron Panthers

Haynes ????

Howard Rebels

Central Golden Tornadoes

CMA Bulldogs

CHMA Tigers

Bellevue Owls

Joelton Blue Jays

Cumberland Indians

TIS aka TPS Bronco Busters

Anyone remember what Haynes was??

Edited by coach763

West Blue Jays

Cohn Black Knights & Tigers (I think)

Cameron Panthers

Haynes ????

Howard Rebels

Central Golden Tornadoes

CMA Bulldogs

CHMA Tigers

Bellevue Owls

Joelton Blue Jays

Cumberland Indians

TIS aka TPS Bronco Busters

Anyone remember what Haynes was??

The smaller HS were great. My son's went to a school of 2400+ and it's just not the same.