CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe in Henderson County (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Sardis Blue Devils had a heck of a basketball team for a 130-140 person high school back in the day. The gym's still there but the school's been closed for a long while. And I agree, this thread is awesome.

I played baseball against Sardis High in the late 70's. Bobby Brasher, the Finley boys, James Adams, Danny Milner. Don't forget Pickwick Southside in Hardin County. They were very good in the late 70's. Country boys who could shoot the lights out. Their school burned down several years later and they never reopened. Great thread!

I saw this thread and it really brings back some memories during the times that were special. East Nashville, NIL, Litton High School, East High School, Donelson, Goodlettsville, Madison, Dupont, the infamous rec center at Dupont, the bridge over the cumberland river, Shelby Park, learning to drive on Gallatin Road, the Krystal, walking to school and from school, the basketball gym at Litton a postage stamp, the basketball gym at East high on a stage, the gym at Cumberland another postage stamp, the Tournaments at Central high school, NIL tennis Tournaments at Peabody, the marching 100, sadness to hear Litton torn down, Marshall Foster, John Witt, Adam Deberry, Bob Cummings, Hershell Moore, Charlie Fentress, the Clinic Bowls, games with MBA, all of the open fields around the Litton area, the sounds of the home crowds on Friday Nights when there were no places to Park nor to sit, Claud Sharp, George Volkert, jerry kemp, Tarzen Adams, Nix, Bobby Tillman, Clouse, Hines, Davis, Ridings, very close communities and much more. I, at times, post on this site about trying to reinact the times and play of the old NIL and renewing the rivalries of the neighborhoods but its impossible to explain the feeling in Nashville at the time and, of course, legal battles and destruction of schools and feelings between D1 and D2 will never allow things to be the same as likely as it should not be but it was a fun time with athletes almost reaching the status of Rock Stars and schools being respected for the great educational institutions which they were. Out of that era came Mayors, Businessmen and some very famous people which help mold Nashville/Davidson County the place it is today.

Edited by PHargis

• 2 weeks later...
That would be Rip Nix. What about John Gordy, Johnnny Tomlinson, Steve Shaw? Mr. Deberry was a fine man. He kept the clock for Maplewood games FOREVER. Well into the 2000's. Unfortunately those days are gone. The surrounding counties still have some of that feel, but even there it is not the same.

I saw this thread and it really brings back some memories during the times that were special. East Nashville, NIL, Litton High School, East High School, Donelson, Goodlettsville, Madison, Dupont, the infamous rec center at Dupont, the bridge over the cumberland river, Shelby Park, learning to drive on Gallatin Road, the Krystal, walking to school and from school, the basketball gym at Litton a postage stamp, the basketball gym at East high on a stage, the gym at Cumberland another postage stamp, the Tournaments at Central high school, NIL tennis Tournaments at Peabody, the marching 100, sadness to hear Litton torn down, Marshall Foster, John Witt, Adam Deberry, Bob Cummings, Hershell Moore, Charlie Fentress, the Clinic Bowls, games with MBA, all of the open fields around the Litton area, the sounds of the home crowds on Friday Nights when there were no places to Park nor to sit, Claud Sharp, George Volkert, jerry kemp, Tarzen Adams, Nix, Bobby Tillman, Clouse, Hines, Davis, Ridings, very close communities and much more. I, at times, post on this site about trying to reinact the times and play of the old NIL and renewing the rivalries of the neighborhoods but its impossible to explain the feeling in Nashville at the time and, of course, legal battles and destruction of schools and feelings between D1 and D2 will never allow things to be the same as likely as it should not be but it was a fun time with athletes almost reaching the status of Rock Stars and schools being respected for the great educational institutions which they were. Out of that era came Mayors, Businessmen and some very famous people which help mold Nashville/Davidson County the place it is today.

• 1 month later...

VTEC,

High School Heroes of my youth ... see if any ring a bell:

Ricky Kenny - Bobby Nick - Doug Garner - Mike Patton - "Super" Cosby? - Mark Stinnett - Kenny Teffeteller - Scot "Jacques" Kidd - Terry Rutherford - Ronnie Waters - Kenny Talbot ...

There's more, but my memory fails me right now. From around '72 - '76, I spent a lot of time up "on the hill" on Friday nights watching football and then basketball following that. My sister was a student, and my momma loved sports.

I guess I should also mention -- Gaye Teffeteller; Karen Keyes ? (I was in love with her but she was too old); Robin Burchfield (was it Burchfield then, or is that her married name? I can't remember).

Ricky Kenney spent several years coaching & teaching at Scott High in Huntsville. Now is Asst. Principal at McCreary Co. HS in Stearns, KY.

Its good to see this old thread still going.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Jacksboro yet. Walland has been but wanted to mention them again because they only participated in the playoff system from 69 to 76 or 77 and racked up a pretty good playoff record and state title in football.