CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

oh and forgot to add these two, they didn't have football, but Linden HS(3 straight boys basketball titles in the mid 50's) and Lobelville HS merged to form Perry County in the early 60's. Not sure about Linden' nickname(seems like I heard they didn't have one, but Lions springs to mind too for some reason) Lobelville elememtary is the Hornets so I assume the HS was too

Bedford County Training School in Shelbyville was the top black high school for many years! There nickname was the Tigers and one time my father and I went to a game and when the team broke the huddle they did flips to the line. James Mitchell who beccame the first captain for the Atlanta Flacons played for them.

They always played on Thrusday nights at the white high school.

Also, in Bedford County was the Old Wartace School dont remember there nickname and Bell Buckle had a school but not football and not sure of there name but both of these schools came together to form Cascade High School in between the two towns.

I lefted out that James Mitchell played for them and was the first captain for the Atanta Flacons.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another one FRIENDSVILLE ACADEMY, not to be confused with FRIENDSVIILE HIGH SCHOOL, in Blount County at one time had the longest losing streak in the nation in Mens basketball. They were even mentioned in the national media. On the other hand the school up the street Friendsville High was pretty good in Single A basketball (mens and womens) with several state tournament appearances.

didn't Frankewing have a HS in Giles county too? I went to school at Lewis county and remember a lot of the places you mentioned from Basketball regional tournaments... Elkton was always tough and those Girls at Lynnville could shoot the lights out

i think frankewing did have a team but dont know the nickname... those girls from lynville could shoot... im a lil on the young side but i had an aunt thatwent to lynnville and u still here stories about those years from time to time down on the lynnville town square... bodenham down in giles use to have some good girls back in the 30's... i saw a picture and i think it said they won the mid-championship on year.

• 6 months later...