CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

I was told that Spring City High School on Watts Bar Lake was a football powerhouse before it was merged to form Rhea Co. High School back in the 50's & 60's. :lol:

Wasn't there, at one time, a Rhea County (or Central) High School (RCHS) with colors orange and blue nicknamed Yellow Jackets in Dayton? I went to Kingston (Roane County High School also RCHS, orange and blue Yellow Jackets). They were a big rivalry of ours up until at least early 70's. It seems like they were phased out for some school named Eagles with green and gold colors.

Wasn't there, at one time, a Rhea County (or Central) High School (RCHS) with colors orange and blue nicknamed Yellow Jackets in Dayton? I went to Kingston (Roane County High School also RCHS, orange and blue Yellow Jackets). They were a big rivalry of ours up until at least early 70's. It seems like they were phased out for some school named Eagles with green and gold colors.

If it's the same one, Rhea County was "upset" by Overton in the 1981 AAA championship game at Vanderbilt. Chris Coutras was the QB, Charlie "Fruit" Bell the big dog RB and a host of others. Final Score: 3-0 Overton as Rhea County missed a 60+ yard FG attempt at the final gun.

West Blue Jays

Cohn Black Knights & Tigers (I think)

Cameron Panthers

Haynes ????

Howard Rebels

Central Golden Tornadoes

CMA Bulldogs

CHMA Tigers

Bellevue Owls

Joelton Blue Jays

Cumberland Indians

TIS aka TPS Bronco Busters

Anyone remember what Haynes was??

Donelson Dons

Tennesse Youth Center (in Joelton)

Duncan Longhorns

Two Rivers Pirates or Buccaneers

The Cohn Alumni website mentions both nicknames, I think Tigers was the earlier one

Here is another one FRIENDSVILLE ACADEMY, not to be confused with FRIENDSVIILE HIGH SCHOOL, in Blount County at one time had the longest losing streak in the nation in Mens basketball. They were even mentioned in the national media. On the other hand the school up the street Friendsville High was pretty good in Single A basketball (mens and womens) with several state tournament appearances.

Ah yes ... Friendsville Academy. For those old enough to remember "On the Road" with Charles Kurault, the Academy was one of his stops. What people might not realize is before the days of the streak, back in the 40's/50's Friendsville Academy was a basketball powerhouse.

Ah yes ... Friendsville Academy. For those old enough to remember "On the Road" with Charles Kurault, the Academy was one of his stops. What people might not realize is before the days of the streak, back in the 40's/50's Friendsville Academy was a basketball powerhouse.

Gov-Man in the words of Steve Martin, "It's tha FOXES."

John Allison was one of the best backs in metro in the early 80s he was from Goodlettsville

Goodlettsville produced some very talented players in their final 15 years or so, especially when they moved from AAA to AA in '71 (I think). Charlie Payne was a very talented high school quarterback, but a better baseball player, and had a decent career at Western Ky., if memory serves. Probably the best running back they produced in that era was Terry Potter, who had a dcent career at Vanderbilt, given the level of talent when her was there.

They were a very well coached team under Ernest Smallen, who, interestingly enough, coached at Cumberland, where one of his products was a relatively talented quarterback named Carlton Flatt.

Give me half a chance, and I'll work Cumberland or MBA (or both) into pretty much any conversation.