CLOSED SCHOOLS

Red Rebels

Pruden High School was actually located in Claiborne County on the KY border. It closed in the mid-60s...and I believe they were called the Panthers.

Stony Fork School in Campbell County closed just last year. They played basketball up until the late 60s and I actually saw them in a District tournament one time. SF only had like 30 kids in the whole school---located in the most remote spot in the US, I believe! I think they were the Vikings or Mountain Vikings.

The Norma Wildcats and Robbins Hawks consolidated along with Huntsville into Scott County/Scott High. I remember when Norma had a basketball player named Henry Hutson who led the state in scoring one year.

ekimhat,

You are old school to say the least. I remember Henry Hutson. And think he played when there was no three point shots. I had forgotten about Robbins being a school, but do remember that Huntsville I believe had a running back named Eddie Byrge that was quite a player around 1968-69.

• 2 weeks later...

powell valley was the indians alcoa not only has the tornadoes but remember alcoa hall high school the red devils!!! claiborne county blue devils is now claiborne high bulldogs as they say in claiborne drop the county and blue devils also a bunch of high schools names and nicknames unknown made up cumberland county high school.i thought tennessee military institude had a different nickname then cadets i thought the eagles maybe.tennessee prepatory school was the bronco busters.memphis had skyview eagles or hawks or mustangs something like that

Siegel[/url]balla05' post='825789706' date='Oct 19 2005 - 08:48 PM']

Before the opening of oakland and riverdale there was central high, and they were dominant in football. One year they demolished louisville trinity.

Murfreesboro Holloway which was the black school was great in football in the 1960's before integration with stars like Robert James, below is part of his bio from www.databasefootball.com

Robert Dematrice James

Position: CB

Height: 6' 1'' Weight: 182

Born: 7/7/1947, in Murfreesboro, TN, USA

High School: Holloway (Murfreesboro, TN)

College: Fisk

Regular Season Stats PASSING RUSHING RECEIVING FUMBLES

Year Team

1969 - 1974 Buffalo Bills

Tiptonville Earthquakes. .... pretty cool nickname considering Tiptonville sits on the banks of Reelfoot Lake, which was created in the early 1800s when an earthquake forced the Mississippi River to flow backward.

I believe Tiptonville's neighboring town, Ridgley, was known as the Green Waves.

There were several schools in Obion County before consolidation -- Rives, Troy, Hornbeak, Woodland Mills, Obion, Mason Hall ... to name a few -- but I can't think of their nicknames.

Hey, Humboldt old-timers, can someone enlighten me on the past Humboldt High School nicknames: Yellowhammers and Rams??? Thanks.

From West Tennessee:

Humboldt Stigall Hornets

Milan Polk-Clark Buffaloes

Alamo (nickname unknown) (merged with others to form Crockett County)

Jackson High Golden Bears (merged with Merry to form JCM)

Jackson Merry (nickname unknown) (merged with Jackson to form JCM)

Jackson Old Hickory Academy Generals? (merged with Episcopal Day School to form USJ)

Brownsville Tennessee Academy (nickname unknown)

Sharon (nickname unknown) (merged with Martin in 1970's to form Westview. Later reopened as a football-playing high school in 1990's. Don't know if they are now closed or if they just dropped football.)

Denmark West (nickname unknown)

Sharon High School was closed 8 to 10 years ago...those kids were sent to Martin Westview. Denmark West (Tigers) was closed as a high school (it's now a middle school) in 1992, those kids were sent to Jackson South Side

• 2 weeks later...

(Several have also occurred just across the border from Chattanooga. Ridgeland was Chattanooga Valley and Rossville, NW Whitfield was North Whitfield and Westside, SE Whitfield was Valley Point and Eastbrook, and Dade County was Dade County and Davis--the merger was for quite some time called NW Georgia. On the Alabama side, North Jackson was once Bridgeport and Stevenson.)

Holy, cow! Someone heard of Davis High on Sand Mountain.

Davis grades 9-12 were sent to NW Georgia around 1976. Davis was the YellowJackets.

Brideport, AL was the Tigers and Stevenson, AL was the Panthers.

Sewanee Military Academy(SMA) was in Sewanee, Tennessee and merged with local St. Andrews in the early 80s.

In South Pittsburg, McReynolds High was a black school with students from around the Sequatchie valley including Bridgeport and Stevensen, AL and burned around 1968.

Kirkman (actually Kirkman Tech), Riverside and Walland have already been mentioned.

Of these, Stevensen and Walland were Football powers and Riverside and Kirkman Tech were basketball powers.

Edited by rlh

• 2 weeks later...

In Giles County there used to be alot of small schools:

Lynville High Tigers (Richland)

Campbellsville High Bears (Richland)

Boedenham High Hornets ???

Pulaki High Bobcats (Giles Co.)

Elkton High Elks (Giles Co.)

Minor Hill Don't know the mascot (Giles Co.)

That's all the ones I know.

didn't Frankewing have a HS in Giles county too? I went to school at Lewis county and remember a lot of the places you mentioned from Basketball regional tournaments... Elkton was always tough and those Girls at Lynnville could shoot the lights out