Best Coach in the State?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Jeff Price- Science Hill

My last reply was just a joke on the person who started the topic. I think the best coach in the state is coach pat simpson at father ryan. He has produced over ten state championship teams. I will also give the vote to the assistant coach shone a vote. Having an ex army/ olympic wrestler on the coaching staff wouldnt call for an easy practice.

For those interested in statistics- Schaack Van Deusen- 2 traditionals at Notre Dame, 8 traditionals and 3 duals at Baylor. He and Jim are quite a team.

1970 - Schaack's only year as a head coach and this team wins the state. 2002 (or maybe it was 2003) National Assistant Coach of the Year and best high school drama coach in the country!

Edited by takedown3

1970 - Schaack's only year as a head coach and this team wins the state. 2002 (or maybe it was 2003) National Assistant Coach of the Year and best high school drama coach in the country!

Ol Schaak does put on a performace in the corner. If you watch him, he is wrestling more than the guys on the mat at times. Great guy to observe.

Here are the greats! Look at Gable ear locked to what Connell has to say and look who else is listening in. Connell is the greatest coach!

Connell-Gable

Look closely at the picture, I think Gable was using his friendship with GC to be able to get close to Shane Turner and overhear some coaching tips. This should prove Shane is the BEST.

• 1 year later...

In closing, if it makes any difference I also feel Baylor is the best team in the state this year even though they dont wrestle Bradley. But, check with me again on that question next year.

What's your thoughts now,,,, good man from Cleveland and certainly no bully, at least on the boards since March '06, until today. B)

This is always a tough question, but since Legman is no longer coaching, the debate is even more heated. It is very difficult to compare public school coaches with private school coaches, because they are not bound by the same circumstances. Public school coaches have a limited supply of wrestlers and money. You have to think that the private school state championships are a bit inflated compared to public schools, because there are so few teams in D2. However, the talent is also more concentrated. I don't know that there is a way to judge the best overall coach. Turner seems to be one of the best at getting kids to come out and turning them into something. GC and the Simpsons have a wealth of experience and the accolades to back it up. The entire debate depends on the criteria used and the perspective taken.

Have you been catonic the last year or so ?

Check out the Bradley website and see who is at the helm.

Several of the coaches mentioned and a couple of others could be the mythical number one, but I have yet to see a credible argument against giving the title to the " Legman "

Well, I guess I just wanted to put my 2 cents on here..........again.

The no brainers: Pat Simpson, Gordon Connell, Steve Logsdon, Frank Simpson, Jim Morgan, Steve Henry, Al Miller (retired), Jeff Jordan, Ralph Gabriel.

The great ones that don't get the credit they deserve: Tony Bradley, Jeff Price, Brad Jackson, Walt Holmes, Tim Pittman, Shane Turner, Mike Newman, Phil Cottrell, William Richardson, Bill Brimer, John Mullin.

The up and coming ones that are on their way to greatness: Josh Peck, Joe Blair, Scott Cook, Wendell Weathers, Heath Eslinger, Jason Bennett, Jeremie Welder, Johnny Rich.

I'm sure there are other greats that I'm forgetting, but these are the ones off the top of my head.