Ooltewah, State Champs?

WaCoJaCo

I highly doubt it. I don't really see Ooltewah getting past Dobyns-Bennett in the Qtrs. this year, but even if you do, I don't see anyone from the east getting past Riverdale in the semis. Ooltewah is just not strong enough to get past Riverdale in Murfreesboro, but the Owls have still had a great year and they are a really good football team.

When the playoffs start any 1 seed team can get beat and any 4 seed team can get beat. I've seen a 4 seed team with a 6&4 record win the state title and I've seen a school with two division one prospects with an undefeated regular season get ko'd in the first round. Don't forget these are high school kids. Anyhting can and has happend. Riverdale plays in a tough region but, unless you watch all the teams in that region play you don't know how strong that region is. Take RED BANK for example. They're probably going to go undefeated in their region this year. Looks great except the region is weak. There are only three teams on their schedule that can be competitve with them and they play one of those schools this Friday. FOLKS WHAT I'M SAYING IS YOU NEVER KNOW.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooltewah is ranked #3 in the State and don't look like their going to slow down. Can they be stopped? Can they go all the way?

This is my favorite time of the year and because Maryville will soon be 5A IMO, I have followed 5A more closely the past two years. Because you have asked about the Owls and used words like “Can they be stopped” I would like to throw my two cents in on the 5A play-offs in the eastern bracket.

I think Ooltewah will most likely play Bearden in the first round. I expect Ooltewah to beat Bearden or even Science Hill on their home turf and advance to the second round. I also think Sevier Co will beat McMinn and travel to Ooltewah for the second round game. Here is the problem for the owls. Ooltewah has not beaten a quality team save for Oak Ridge this year. Anyone with a half a functioning cranium knows Oak Ridge is no where near the team they were years past. Region 2 in my opinion is the weakest region of the four regions in ETN this year. Sevier Co.’s only two loses came to W. Blount during the first game of the season and last month to DB by a field goal! Trust me losing to W. Blount was a fluke and a rally point for a very well coached team that presently are very high on community emotion. There are a lot of little brothers on this year’s team who watched their big brothers bring home the 5A gold Ball in 1999. Sevier County’s Coach Steve Brewer knows how to get it done and play-off football in nothing like regular season football in many regards. One also might note of all the great 5A programs through years since there were 5 classes the only one that brought the gold ball home to region 1-3, was Sevier Co. I do not think Ooltewah has the horses to get past Sevier or DB this year. Not to mention Riverdale, Smyrna or maybe even Lebanon this year. Ooltewah might be 9-0 but they are 0-0 going into the play-offs and will not face a good team till the second round. Big game experience of the players or in the coaching staff is huge in my opinion, and Ooltewah does not have it. The best thing going for them is they have an opportunity to have home field through out, but they won’t have those home field officials’. Another issue, but an issue non-the-less. The owls have had a great season and have moved up a notch but their equipment turn in date should be scheduled on Monday November the 13th and Blue Cross Bowl tickets are still available.

They may be rated #3 by the fan poll on Coacht, but that is no stable to hang ones hat on and is just silly. But good luck to the Owls.

When the playoffs start any 1 seed team can get beat and any 4 seed team can get beat. I've seen a 4 seed team with a 6&4 record win the state title and I've seen a school with two division one prospects with an undefeated regular season get ko'd in the first round. Don't forget these are high school kids. Anyhting can and has happend. Riverdale plays in a tough region but, unless you watch all the teams in that region play you don't know how strong that region is. Take RED BANK for example. They're probably going to go undefeated in their region this year. Looks great except the region is weak. There are only three teams on their schedule that can be competitve with them and they play one of those schools this Friday. FOLKS WHAT I'M SAYING IS YOU NEVER KNOW.

True

This is my favorite time of the year and because Maryville will soon be 5A IMO, I have followed 5A more closely the past two years. Because you have asked about the Owls and used words like “Can they be stopped” I would like to throw my two cents in on the 5A play-offs in the eastern bracket.

I think Ooltewah will most likely play Bearden in the first round. I expect Ooltewah to beat Bearden or even Science Hill on their home turf and advance to the second round. I also think Sevier Co will beat McMinn and travel to Ooltewah for the second round game. Here is the problem for the owls. Ooltewah has not beaten a quality team save for Oak Ridge this year. Anyone with a half a functioning cranium knows Oak Ridge is no where near the team they were years past. Region 2 in my opinion is the weakest region of the four regions in ETN this year. Sevier Co.’s only two loses came to W. Blount during the first game of the season and last month to DB by a field goal! Trust me losing to W. Blount was a fluke and a rally point for a very well coached team that presently are very high on community emotion. There are a lot of little brothers on this year’s team who watched their big brothers bring home the 5A gold Ball in 1999. Sevier County’s Coach Steve Brewer knows how to get it done and play-off football in nothing like regular season football in many regards. One also might note of all the great 5A programs through years since there were 5 classes the only one that brought the gold ball home to region 1-3, was Sevier Co. I do not think Ooltewah has the horses to get past Sevier or DB this year. Not to mention Riverdale, Smyrna or maybe even Lebanon this year. Ooltewah might be 9-0 but they are 0-0 going into the play-offs and will not face a good team till the second round. Big game experience of the players or in the coaching staff is huge in my opinion, and Ooltewah does not have it. The best thing going for them is they have an opportunity to have home field through out, but they won’t have those home field officials’. Another issue, but an issue non-the-less. The owls have had a great season and have moved up a notch but their equipment turn in date should be scheduled on Monday November the 13th and Blue Cross Bowl tickets are still available.

They may be rated #3 by the fan poll on Coacht, but that is no stable to hang ones hat on and is just silly. But good luck to the Owls.

Have you seen Ooltewah play?

:blink::o Yeah Ooltewah's Coach has never been in the playoffs..not experienced at all. Ask Ooltewah's coach how many GOLD BALLS he has had his hands on. You have no idea what your are talking about. Do some research then post again. Oh yes also read the brackets we won't be playing Bearden first round. Your "two cents" is about that much. You don't know what youre talking about. Did you see the Oak Ridge game? Oak RIdge will be beaten soundly this week by Farragut. Maybe you should "follow" a little more closely :o

i'd also like to know how they got lucky against farragut, i can't comment on the WB game b/c i didn't see it, but by no means did ooltewah get lucky against farragut, farragut is a good team, but 3 missed sacks would have made that game a 2+ td game, there was no luck involved in that win.....and TG24, i'm with you, with WB's defense you guys will give DB a game contrary to popular belief on these boards

u could also say if Farragut had 3 more tackles the might have won.. you and everyone else there knows that had Farragut scored either a field goal, which they missed, or a td Farragut woulda won. im not saying Ooltewah got lucky but it couldve gone either way and if u were at the game u should know that.

Have you seen Ooltewah play?

Not live. Saw a great deal of the WB game vs. Ooltewah on film. Trust me I am not William Blount Fan after the past two years but the best team that night did not win the game.

I don't want to argue but just because I have not seen the Owls play this year means nothing when you look at stats and past facts. Play-Off football is very different than the reg. season and Ooltewah has never been beyound the second round in recent history or ever as far as I know, and if you think that is a non factor suit yourself.

After watching the coaching staff through 4 different games where we were tied or losing at Halftime, I must say, Ooltewah is deadly in the third quarter. The defense just plays tremendous.

In fact, I don't think there's one area this year(except maybe recievers, and probably not even that) where Ooltewah has gotten worse from last year. Coaching is better, O-line is just as good, Kwan Buchanon is a fantastic lead blocker, Brian Marshall is having a better year than Dewayne did last year, Linebackers are playing ten times better than expected, Jeremy Woods is calm, elusive, and a has plenty of arm strength, Corners, while shaky, can make big plays, D-line pressures the QB.

There's nothing that screams at me that we're worse than last year.

Championship seems unlikely given the road we've been given, but we're building a program.

In fact, I'll say it now. In three years(maybe two), Ooltewah will win a State Title. Remember the name Jaquez Smith. 6-3, gigantic, and had to stop playing in middle school because he hurt people too bad when he hit them. The Freshman team is undefeated, and there isn't a lack of talent at any position and in a school of almost 2,100.

I think this year we'll take it to the Semis, and if the fan turnout and support of the Band is as good as in the Oak Ridge game, we might even win that.

Do you think Farragut is having a DOWN year? I think they looked pretty darn good when I saw them play? I did not mean by any means that Oak Ridge wouldn't starting winning again. I am talking about domination. Oak Ridge then everyone else. I think the programs in this region are on the rise NOT down. Anyone can win on any given night..well except maybe a few of the teams :o

i think dont think Farragut is having a down year. we got 2nd in the region how is that a down year? we have a more one sided offense this year yes. ill say that. but since the ooltewah game Farragut fianlyl was able to pass. lets hope they can keep that up...

as for the topic.. No i do not believe Ooltewah will win state.

u could also say if Farragut had 3 more tackles the might have won.. you and everyone else there knows that had Farragut scored either a field goal, which they missed, or a td Farragut woulda won. im not saying Ooltewah got lucky but it couldve gone either way and if u were at the game u should know that.

i'm talking about the 3 wide open sacks where the ooltewah defender had a wide open lane to the qb and went for a kill shot instead of just tackling the guy and missed, those 3 missed sacks led to 3 huge passing plays on every play because its hard for a db to cover a wr for 10 seconds....and the missed field goal, well that was only set up because a wrong route by a receiver that caused an interception, you didn't get any yards on that drive, maybe if you had you would have gotten a field goal

Region 2 in my opinion is the weakest region of the four regions in ETN this year. Sevier Co.’s only two loses came to W. Blount during the first game of the season and last month to DB by a field goal! Trust me losing to W. Blount was a fluke and a rally point for a very well coached team that presently are very high on community emotion.

Yeah ... trust the guy who had Heritage included in his preseason 5A top ten in the state. He's definitely got it all figured out. Blount played Sevier down to the wire twice last season and finally outplayed them in their season opener and earned a hard fought win ... but it was just a fluke.

FBE, let's tune back in after the first week of the playoffs and see how region 2 does in their opening games.