DB vs. William Blount

db123

I was told by a parent that some of DB's players got a lot of home work and test for last friday.I know that school is first, so if the kids are put at a disatvantage in class, we shouldn't play on thursday . While I'm at it, I noticed that our band plays while the other team is running it's plays.That is not sportsmanship,but to keep it the same,they played while we were running our plays as well. Maybe some of our { football smart teachers }can talk to other teachers and the band director{ band teacher } .

Let me get this straight........ you DON'T want our band to play while they other team has the ball????

HMMMMM?????????

Not that I go to football games just to see the band, but I think that is part of the reason for them being there! I don't know but I could be wrong (Lord knows I have been wrong before) but if the band isn't going to be PART OF THE GAME, then they should just do away with the band!

ANYBODY ELSE care to chime in on this???

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight........ you DON'T want our band to play while they other team has the ball????

HMMMMM?????????

Not that I go to football games just to see the band, but I think that is part of the reason for them being there! I don't know but I could be wrong (Lord knows I have been wrong before) but if the band isn't going to be PART OF THE GAME, then they should just do away with the band!

ANYBODY ELSE care to chime in on this???

Go to a UT game, the band plays all game long.{Except,............] when the teams are at the line calling out the play.I will bet any amount of money,UT's band director is smart enough not to play when UT is at the north or south-end calling a play with the game on the line. I love our band and I'm proud of it, the kids are great. However, to make them play when [for sure] our team has the ball { and is at the line ],is like GC punting on every 1st down.

Gov Man AM 1400 and AM 850 Horne Radio Network!! You really wanted TB on 1st to Burst the other night. You were about to upset the big stat guy.

I couldn't hear the big stat guy real well. Yeah, I had a hunch on a TB TD, but I was wrong. Can't believe he was just part of "the field".

Type me up the contest rules and phone number and I'll be sure and announce them Thursday night and at other future hom games.

I was told by a parent that some of DB's players got a lot of home work and test for last friday.I know that school is first, so if the kids are put at a disatvantage in class, we shouldn't play on thursday . While I'm at it, I noticed that our band plays while the other team is running it's plays.That is not sportsmanship,but to keep it the same,they played while we were running our plays as well. Maybe some of our { football smart teachers }can talk to other teachers and the band director{ band teacher } .

That's right.Last thursday after the THS and DB game the players gone home around 10:45 and had to do homework and had test the next day.I think some teachers pride themselves on making it hard on players and band members.But going down to Maryville on a school night is a little overboard.

Plowboy,

You're right. I think Coach Meadows wanted to showcase this game on Thursday night and stay away from competing with the Alcoa/Maryville crowd on Friday. It does make for a long school night trip for you guys and we're real appreciative you'all are willing to do it, cause it should help us draw a pretty decent gate. I think it's a very smart move on behalf of Coach Meadows and his staff.

Correct me here if I'm wrong, but will this make two consecutive Thursday night games for you'all?

So let me get this straight... Are people from Maryville invited to attend this game, because on the WB/SC thread there was some discussion as to whether or not we were. I just want to be clear. If not, I may qualify under a different criteria. I was invited by a member of last years WB football team, who spends a lot of time sitting on my couch. If this doesn't get me in I played at WB, and I could wear my old jersey and a vintage WB "trucker" hat that was just called a "hat" back in the day when I got it.

35-14 and don't ask me if we will be 2-0 after next week.Sevier Co. can't be that bad {27-0}. We will have to be able to pass and play much better defense than thursday night. High hopes will not win games, it comes down to can our small outside LB's and db's, stop the run and pass.We have a chance,but it may be in China. I will however turn my old cap around and toss some salt over my shoulder.

If DB doesn't at least have some semblence of a passing attack then they might as well not get off the bus. WB has a really stout front seven and while you may be able to have a succesful running play here or there they will not allow many drives sustained by the ground attack only. Walker at DE and Cail at LB were men among boys against us.

As far as the secondary, our inexperienced QB and Receivers were rather anemic in the passing game so I can't really tell how good or bad they are (WB did have one pick six on a terrible pass down at our goal line and another one on a nice play by the DB). However, I do know that no one dimensional team can grind out a victory via the run on this bunch.

As far as the offense, WB also has opened it up more this year so they are more effective at passing the ball then previous seasons. The only concern I would have if I was a Gov fan was that this new passing offense seemed to transform them into more of a finesse team. I was expecting to get hammered on by a bruising rushing attack (much like last year) with the occasional pass mixed in. However, because of their inconsistency in running the ball they struggled some sustaining drives and punching the the ball into the endzone.

Post game observations:

WB has a really nice team (especially their defense)

DB will probably play them closer than us (based on assumption of better Secondary and better QB & Receiver play)

WB will still win however, 23 - 10

After this weekends losses and seeing other games it is apparent that Region 1 is really down and inferior again to our Region 2 brethren this year. Any one of their top four teams could win region 1 IMO.

Have they gotten the exit to Maryville (hwy 129) finshed or would it be better to come down on hwy 168 John Seveir hwy to get to Maryville? 129 was under const. last time we went thru Knoxville.

Biggest headache in Knoxville now is that they have now moved on to James White Pkwy. Supposed to be up by Oct 1.

If you don't go John Sevier all the way over to Alcoa Hwy, my suggestion is to take 640 around Knoxville, and when you get to the end, go left back towards downtown and Alcoa Hwy will be less than a mile.

As for the band, yeah, go to a game at UT. You will notice the band NEVER plays during the actual play istelf. Only during the dead times. Most high school band directors are ignorant or more than likely so arrogant that they believe the people are there for the band. (Sorry, I try to keep my mouth shut regarding bands, but I'm really tired of most of them playing the whole game non-stop.)

While I'm at it, I noticed that our band plays while the other team is running it's plays.That is not sportsmanship,but to keep it the same,they played while we were running our plays as well. Maybe some of our { football smart teachers }can talk to other teachers and the band director{ band teacher } .

DB has been doing this for along time, its part of what comes with playing DB. Refs never say anything so what can anyone do?

The Dobyns-Bennett Band is the football team's largest and loudest fan and Graham Clark and the team appreciate them. Just like the student section, they make sound. Lots of very loud SOUND! What would you have them do? Shut the whole fan section up during the plays? There is nothing wrong with what they do - unless they're playing and making noice while the DB offense if making offensive calls at the line. And they do try not to do that.

Sadly, nobody will have to worry about this silly little "problem" at the William Blount game. There will be no band. As I understand it, for two reasons. One already mentioned - it's Thursday and most of these nearly 400 kids have not been given a homework break by their teachers. They have homework and 4+ hours on the road and getting back at midnight are just not acceptable. So this idea of Thursday night football, in my view is crap. It does not have the students best interest at heart. Just $$$s. The 2nd reason is that there just is not enough money in the bank to rent 9 buses to go to William Blount this early in the season. They have to do fund raisers to make the money to go on trips. The school doesn't pay for it, they have to support themselves. They are saving their money to go to conference games - Sevier County, Jeff County, and maybe Karnes I believe.

I'll add the prediction to make it legal for Zorro the gestapo. I hate it but truthfully believe the outcome will be something like DB-15, WB-27. For DB-1TD+3FGs. For WB-4TDs

Unfrickin believable. Is this not the football boards. I understand that the band and atmosphere is all a part of football, but really people can we not talk about x's and o's and everyone's predicitions of the game.

By the way worlhead didn't know if you heard or not but the draft for PEE WEE football is on Wednesday. I have to work until 10, but I can call our assistant coach if you want me to and see if he can be there.

24-21 Indians

Roll Tribe.

Actually, the D-B band strategy of playing while opponents are running their plays is well known in northeast tennessee. There is no specific rule in HS football on this; there is a rule strictly prohibiting it in college. In HS, it is up to the referee's discretion.

Waco, your opinion?

By the way, don't count the Indians out of this one just yet. My early upset special is D-B 16 - 14.