7-AAA 2007-2008

MidTennFootball

Oh Im not debating whether he was a great coach or not, he was one of the best. It was just that White Co was good, that sometimes it was hard to tell how good he really was until he had to face a Columbia or a team or that caliber. You think Whited will ever get back into coaching? It sounds like he doesnt plan to leave Sparta anytime soon so I imagine the only way is if Mitchell left for another job

I don't see him coaching again, but who knows. His son was born just before he quit coaching. I think he just wanted to get out of coaching to spend time with his new son an his wife.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did not mean to offend you. You must be a loyal fan.

I did not see the Wilson Central game, but I do think that Wilson Central's football players were not playing in that game. Even so, that was a quality win for Siegel and I do think they have potential. I just don't think this is their year. They are just too young and don't play to win. When their PG comes out, it is 100% street ball and that is an indicator of inexperience. Siegel needs more size under the basket - not just height. And, they need Cutter to score.

Just my opinion. But, I don't think it would take a basketball genius to figure out what I am saying.

this guy sounds like he knows what hes talkin about

I was thinking about posting a new topic but then I decided it would be better to just keep it in this topic.

Who does everyone believe has the better sophomores? Blackman or Siegel?

Blackman's sophomores won state in middle school but Siegel has however got the transfer of Tate and a couple more in the time since then.

Blackman: D. Smith- Starting 1

T. Collier- Starting 3

JD White- Starting 4

J. Crutchfield- 2nd string 1

J. Ray- 2nd string 5

D. Brown- The injured 6'5 post who started last year as a freshman.

Siegel: K. Hammonds

L. Tate

M. Gooch

and a few other under the radar sophomores who I'd like to hear about.

I was thinking about posting a new topic but then I decided it would be better to just keep it in this topic.

Who does everyone believe has the better sophomores? Blackman or Siegel?

Blackman's sophomores won state in middle school but Siegel has however got the transfer of Tate and a couple more in the time since then.

Blackman: D. Smith- Starting 1

T. Collier- Starting 3

JD White- Starting 4

J. Crutchfield- 2nd string 1

J. Ray- 2nd string 5

D. Brown- The injured 6'5 post who started last year as a freshman.

Siegel: K. Hammonds

L. Tate

M. Gooch

and a few other under the radar sophomores who I'd like to hear about.

That's a qood question. I know you said Blackman won state in middle shcool but I've not seen much of them this year. I've seen Tate through AAU the last couple of years and tracked him through a coach I went to school with. He will be a good addition to this team when he is fully recovered from the ankle. I didn't see much of Hammonds last year at AAU or school because of his ankle and knee both. Gooch is a good leaper and has a decent shot on him and can rebound as well. #45 may be short but I think he will be fine. I think Nicholas from Louisiana could be a good point guard if he learns to get in a zone and drown out the crowd.

Nicholas-Should be starting 1 next year

Gooch- Starting 2

Hammonds- Starting 3 but plays 4 as well

Tate- Starting 4 but plays 3 as well

Mitchell- Starting 5

Hammonds played AAU under his father last year but they didn't stay around long but when I did see him play he looked just like he does now...quick on the go and heading for the basket. He looks like he has grown a couple of inches. He looks for the ball and has those big hands ready.

Tate played AAU last year and I did saw him when we went to Cookeville and if you don't know about him you will. This team seems to be going through a gelling phase and will have this year to go through and know what changes to make next year.

Good luck young guys....it's all up to you. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

This information is for 85 Warrior. I am providing what he asked for.

White County boys basketball has had a total of four coaches since 1958. Roy Sewell coached from 1958 until he retired at the end of the 1994-95 season. He did miss one or two seasons in the late 60's/early 70's when he left to be principal at the middle school. His overall record is 633-352 with a state tournament record of 10-6. Just a note when they were AA, he was still playing and defeating a lot of AAA schools plus the AA teams from the late 70's through the early 80's were very strong.

Roy Whited followed Sewell and coached for six seasons with an overall Sparta mark of 169-34. By the way they played the Science Hill, Cleveland (with Vincent Yarbrough), Pearl Cohn (with Ron Slay and John Henderson) just to name some of the competition they faced. They played in a tournament in Arkansas in which a guy by the name of Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks) played in as a high school player. Whited was 6-0 in state tournament games.

Bruce Slatten followed Whited and coached for three years. His overall record at Sparta was 29-57.

Eric Mitchell is starting his fourth year as head coach. Heading into this season, his overall record (at Sparta) is 59-39 coming into this season.

White County boys basketball has had a total of four coaches since 1958. Roy Sewell coached from 1958 until he retired at the end of the 1994-95 season. He did miss one or two seasons in the late 60's/early 70's when he left to be principal at the middle school. His overall record is 633-352 with a state tournament record of 10-6. Just a note when they were AA, he was still playing and defeating a lot of AAA schools plus the AA teams from the late 70's through the early 80's were very strong.

Roy Whited followed Sewell and coached for six seasons with an overall Sparta mark of 169-34. By the way they played the Science Hill, Cleveland (with Vincent Yarbrough), Pearl Cohn (with Ron Slay and John Henderson) just to name some of the competition they faced. They played in a tournament in Arkansas in which a guy by the name of Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks) played in as a high school player. Whited was 6-0 in state tournament games.

Bruce Slatten followed Whited and coached for three years. His overall record at Sparta was 29-57.

Eric Mitchell is starting his fourth year as head coach. Heading into this season, his overall record (at Sparta) is 59-39 coming into this season.

Thank you. I knew you would have all the answers. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sports fanatic for president!!!!

White County had the best ever in 7aaa......Roy Whited.

Oh Im not debating whether he was a great coach or not, he was one of the best. It was just that White Co was good, that sometimes it was hard to tell how good he really was until he had to face a Columbia or a team or that caliber. You think Whited will ever get back into coaching? It sounds like he doesnt plan to leave Sparta anytime soon so I imagine the only way is if Mitchell left for another job

Roy's still in the area huh?

We need him in Cookeville!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We'll pay good money! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Gotta do something. A school with 2200 students has GOT to be able to field a competitive basketball team!

So far Coach Brey hasn't proven he can.

Had a decent year with all the good football players 2 years ago,otherwise forget it!

Come on Wayne Shanks,go hire Roy Whited!

THE SQUAD /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

good game tonight by my WARRIORS i am very proud of their effort tonight...they were down by 10 late in the game and battled back to within 4...

this team is gonna be fum to watch i think there is a lot of talent there and i think it will develop as the season goes onour 2 freshman are gonna be solid role players to rest joey lee and craig...our footballs players are not quite basketball ready yet joey needs to stay after practice and do some dribbling for about 30 minutes each day we do not have a game for a week so this will be a great opportunity to sharpen his skills he will be a tremnedous asset to our team througout the year...we need to get some outside help so that young isnt triple teamed i would like to see our freshman point guard shoot a few threes see if eh can do it he does a great job of attacking the basket The other freshman is going to be good i am anxious to see his progress over the next 4 years...we have a lot of potential and while our record may not show it i think we will be pretty good by tournament time

GO WARRIORS