Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

Please humor me and show me one insult that I have made that was uncalled for

GET OVER IT ALREADY!!! Punkinhead, Kevo, all you guys...take it outside. Enough is enough. Nothin' but a bunch of ######. Can we please talk the topic. I mean, I appreciate all the NET support for my Rebels but please we need some concentration here. Rebel Nation

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the Betsy teams of the late 90's Ron and I respect Shaun tremendously, but he's nowhere near Curt. I'm just not sure we're as good as the Betsy teams of the late 90's. We'll see come Friday. We respect you. But we're coming to win, not watch Maryville play. Like I said in another thread, you might beat us by a lot, but we'll battle and no one on the field will battle any harder than Curt. He's a warrior. Good luck to you guys and let's hope for no injuries.

As for Panthers08, where'd the 08 in your name come from? Are you a senior at Powell? How bout you and I meet at Litton's over in Fountain City and I'll feed you one of those good burgers while we discuss football?

Volman

If I remember, you made the statement that a team from NET would never win a gold ball....you still feel that way?

Kind of changes your perspective when you get within shouting distance of it /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

If this was last year you would be right in your analysis, except you and others are apparently forgetting that Maryville has had some vunerability this year. Some of their games were close, like the 1 point win against Wiliam Blount on a bad ref call, and fairly close games against 4A rivals Halls and West in their division. The line on Maryville at the beginning of the season is they lost alot of key Seniors from last year and they could be beat. Good coaching and player development, along with some good luck, has given them an undefeated season so far. I do believe they can be beat, however.

You know, I would have said the same thing up until last week. I thought that this would be the year that Maryville would go down as well because I have seen them turn the ball over and I have seen them stuggle to run the football. But as is the case with many other Maryville teams in the past, when the playoffs roll around they step it up. They played better last Friday then I ever thought they were capable of playing. Red Bank was incredible up front against Powell and Maryville absolutely destroyed the Red Bank front offensively and defensively.

VolmanScott. the 08 is because I wore number 8 my senior year which was 2006. It must take a real man to issue a threat via a keyboard though. And Fountain City is a little out of the way from my house on the way to Maryville.

Personal note:

I have a little cousin from up there who due to illness, is unable to play football this year. Morgan Edwards is a member of the Sullivan South football team. Morgan has been through a lot this year. I spoke with him yesterday and he has some surgery scheduled this week at the Cleveland Clinic and will be unable to attend the game Friday. He had really wanted to come to the game, but this surgery had been scheduled for sometime in advance.

I asked Morgan what he wanted me to pray for this week and he said, "That the Good Lord will guide the hands of my surgeons and I will have a good recovery and may all the players in the Sullivan South-Maryville game play to the best of their abilities and be injury free." So that is my prayer too..........

Thank you for including this. Morgan is an amazing young man. He has been through some trials that would test the best of us, not only with his illness, but a horrible car wreck (truck rolled several times, bruises only, thank God) and then the loss of a close friend as well. What he has had to handle would try the mettle of most grown men, but he has continued to show a grace and strength of spirit far beyond that of men twice his age. He was a defensive force to be reckoned with his junior year, and although no longer able to play (and sorely missed), is still a leader on the team. He attended most, if not all, practices, work-outs, etc. and continually encouraged his team with his positive and upbeat attitude. He was elected a team captain and led them onto the field at every game. He can be seen at every game, on the sidelines pumping up the team, in the stands leading the students' cheers, in the booth giving color commentary. His spirit is unstoppable and unflagging, and GOD given. If Morgan has requested the above prayer, then I would ask each one of you, no matter what school you are from or what team you support, to make it your prayer too. I know I am. Thank you.

However, based on the experiences that we have had, Maryville will have a game plan to stop South (not just Curt - that is not how they play). They will have a game plan to exploit South's weaknesses (something no other NET team has done -- and I do not care about the Greeneville loss -- that was an aberration and served to wake South up and put them at a higher level), but that higher level may not be high enough. I hope it is, but Maryville is...well, Maryville.

Very good observation about Maryville. Maryville's staff is the best I have ever seen at game plan preparation, exploitation of opponent's weaknesses and neutralization of the opponent's strengths.

Quarles also does a great job of keeping his players hungry despite all their success. It would be easy for complacency, overconfidence, etc. to set in given their winning streak but it simply doesn't happen under the leadership of GQ and his staff. They do a remarkable job of staying totally focused on the present task at hand.

They also thrive on stepping up to new challenges when they are presented. I am sure that the Maryville staff has presented the challenge to the team of shutting down a D1 player like Phillips and Sullivan South. I look for Maryville to come out very hungry and determined to totally shut down Sullivan South.

I expect Maryville to build on last week's performance and be at their best come Friday night.

Maryville has already faced a QB as good as Phillips. His name is Randall Cobb (Alcoa) and he has verbally committed to Kentucky and has been offered by several SEC schools (including UT). He can run the ball with the best of them (very very fast) and has an amazingly strong arm. Maryville was able to contain him even though he had a D1 WR recruit to throw to and an all-state RB to hand off to. No doubt that Phillips is the real deal. I feel that the experience of playing against Cobb should help the Maryville D prepare.

You know, I would have said the same thing up until last week. I thought that this would be the year that Maryville would go down as well because I have seen them turn the ball over and I have seen them stuggle to run the football. But as is the case with many other Maryville teams in the past, when the playoffs roll around they step it up. They played better last Friday then I ever thought they were capable of playing. Red Bank was incredible up front against Powell and Maryville absolutely destroyed the Red Bank front offensively and defensively.VolmanScott. the 08 is because I wore number 8 my senior year which was 2006. It must take a real man to issue a threat via a keyboard though. And Fountain City is a little out of the way from my house on the way to Maryville.

Good Lord! I just offered you a freakin burger son! I was going to threaten you in person!

VolmanIf I remember, you made the statement that a team from NET would never win a gold ball....you still feel that way?Kind of changes your perspective when you get within shouting distance of it /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

You got me there! I plead the 5th on this one. But, I'd love nothing more than to eat those words I spoke before.

Good Lord! I just offered you a freakin burger son! I was going to threaten you in person!

Volmanscott: Is there anything I can say to you where you would buy me a freakin' burger?

This thread has been very interesting to watch. It doesn't have many of the regular Maryville posters except for RebelRon (who is always cordial to our opponents). I suspect that they are enjoying sitting back and watching the banter back and forth from other Region 1 school posters and even a few Region 2 school posters.

Someone mentioned directions: If you need directions just put in 825 Lawrence Avenue, Maryville, TN 37803 into your GPS. DO NOT! I REPEAT, DO NOT! Get directions from mikey65. He can tell you about it.

The experience against Cobb will be good to have but having seen Cobb in the Powell vs. Alcoa scrimmage and seeing Phillips against Mo West I can tell you that they are two very different runners. Cobb had incredible quickness agility and acceleration...none of those appeared to be Curt's stong suit. Phillips is much more interested in getting his shoulders square and running downhill, and he runs downhill hard. I seriously doubt that Curt will be breaking the long TD runs that he's become accustomed to out there in NET with the athletes that Maryville has on the field, but he will grind out some solid yardage on the ground I bet.

As for Maryville kids getting recruited, I only know of Aaron Douglas for sure. He will be the highest rated recruit on the field Friday night...he's given UT a solid verbal.

Stephen Shiver is an impressive WR/DB. I've heard Alabama may be interested but I cannot confirm nor deny that.

The Burnette kid is the real deal. Doesn't have a lot of mobility and his footwork needs some work, but there is no wasted motion in his delivery and he has a very strong arm. His decision making leaves something to be desired at times though.

Thank you for including this. Morgan is an amazing young man. He has been through some trials that would test the best of us, not only with his illness, but a horrible car wreck (truck rolled several times, bruises only, thank God) and then the loss of a close friend as well. What he has had to handle would try the mettle of most grown men, but he has continued to show a grace and strength of spirit far beyond that of men twice his age. He was a defensive force to be reckoned with his junior year, and although no longer able to play (and sorely missed), is still a leader on the team. He attended most, if not all, practices, work-outs, etc. and continually encouraged his team with his positive and upbeat attitude. He was elected a team captain and led them onto the field at every game. He can be seen at every game, on the sidelines pumping up the team, in the stands leading the students' cheers, in the booth giving color commentary. His spirit is unstoppable and unflagging, and GOD given. If Morgan has requested the above prayer, then I would ask each one of you, no matter what school you are from or what team you support, to make it your prayer too. I know I am. Thank you.

Very well put Rebelmom, very well put. Kudos to you. What a kid!

You Southerners have to stop being so touchy. Just because someone comes on here with an objective opinion doesn't mean they are South beaters. Believe it or not there are some people out there that would rather see Maryville win and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Last time I looked the title for this thread was "Sullivan South v. Maryville, Battle of the Rebels" not "The Sullivan South Cheering thread".

I however would love to see South role into town and pull the upset. For one it would consummate Curt's bid for Mr. Football and it will also let those of us that were actually competitive with South this year know that we can be competitive with the rest of the state.

It's obvious that many of you have only read the tales of the mighty Maryville Rebel on web sites and in the paper or you would have a different tone in your voice. When you witness it in person for the first time you will no doubt change your tune. You will then understand that what makes Maryville so successful is not that they have all the good players in the state, or that they have the best facilities, or that their coaches are that much better than everybody else’s. The only way to sum it up is simply "Tradition". Losing is not an option at Maryville. Totally different level of football than what we are accustom to here in NET...you will see. My take on the game is that if South is banking on the same game plan that has given them so much success all year to do the same in this game (you know your "bread and butter") you will be sorely disappointed! Plan A has proven itself to be more than any team in the East could handle and would probably give any other team in the state nightmares. But I would go to plan B if there is one in this one because the Maryville staff is picking apart your game film and making the adjustments on paper to deal with Curt as we are speaking and they are darn good at it. You say you have a team behind the great Curt Philips and I for one believe you, but now it’s time to prove it to the entire State. Because that is what it's going to take to win THIS game...a TOTAL team effort on both sides of the ball AND on the sidelines! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />