Maryville vs Maplewood

jrlcm

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is not the maplewood team that lost to Ooltewah. They are not going to the boro because just to say we played in the state. Sat won't be like the past 2 years

Is there more than one Maplewood High School? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Good luck Rebels!

Hopefully the Tornadoes get it done in 2A, the Falcons in 3A, and the Rebels in 4A! East TN can reign supreme again! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I would like to extend congratulations to Burnette and Douglas for winning Mr. Football. Their accomplishments are not only a credit to their talent but the coaching staff who cultivated it over the period of 4 years. I know Douglas plans on attending U.T. but how about Burnette. Obviously he is a very talented High School Q.B. but does he have the talent to play at the D I level.

I guess to go along with the threads theme I have to say something about the game. Well I don't see it being much of a game. More like a slaughter. Maryville calls off the dogs and wins 31-3.

First of all I want to say that Maplewood deserves to go to the game because they won. However, with that being said, I don't see them being any competition for Maryville. They really werent much competition for Henry County. Melrose was a much better team. I know we lost the game and I am not a sore loser, Im just calling it like I see it. During the Melrose game I felt like we played as hard as we could to get the win. Against Maplewood, we made too many mental errors and let them stay in the game long enough to win it. Im sure the players and fans at Hillsboro can relate to what I am saying. If we had played the same as we did against Melrose we would have had a running clock in the 2nd half. Im sure this does not make the Maplewood fans happy but they dont need to worry about what I say anyway. They need to worry about Maryville! To tell you the truth Maplewood, I was glad to see that Simpson was the starter because #11 has a much better arm! We will just have to try for next year!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I love these HC fans trying to discredit MW in order to prop themselves up. Why do you keep referencing Melrose in relation to Maplewood? It makes absolutely no sense at all. You won against Melrose and you loss against Maplewood. It's that simple. Maplewood didn't play as well as they are capable of playing either. So please stop coming in this thread whining about sportsmanship and how average Maplewood is. It only makes your team look that much worse. Some of the fans make it sound as if your team was wearing halos out there. How does it feel to get beat by such an average team? Take your loss like adults and stop the freaking complaining.

Back to the game...

With that being said, I will be rooting for Maplewood but I think this mountain will be a little too steep for them to climb. Not that I don't have faith, I'm just stating an honest opinion. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Success breeds success and CONTEMPT.

Coach said himself earlier this season it is ashame you have to be villified for your success. I agree.

great point. i'm not a maryville guy, but i respect the heck out of the program. i made it to 1 state title game at Jeff Co in my career (when TRUE privates still played against publics-- we played Brentwood Academy the last year that rule was in place)and i remember all the hard work (and a little luck) that was involved in making it. to make it there year after year and be fortunate enough to win is a testament to the players, coaches, and their hard work (maryville doesnt seem to need so much luck though).

You keep bringing up a game that was ten years ago when the Seniors playing this Saturday were in 2nd grade. Still trying to determine the relevance in that other than you have to go back that far to find a Championship game Maryville lost.

the fact is they are not undefeated against nashville

the fact is they are not undefeated against nashville

If you are going to use a Pearl-Cohn team defeating an undefeated East TN team for the 4A state title, at least use the better reference and use the 96 Pearl-Cohn team that defeated Halls and not the 97 team that by that point had become a force. That 96 PC team was a lot like how Maplewood sounds in that they had a ton of talent and got progressively better throughout the course of the season. Nearly everyone was writing them off before the game, but Halls played their worst game of the year and lost.

Now, do I think that will happen again? Not really. But, like I said last week, if Maryville's case of fumbleitis rears its head again, Maplewood has a chance. If it doesn't, then I just don't see Maplewood outscoring them. Maryville has developed a pretty good defense over the course of the season that has gone unnoticed because of the offense hitting on all cylinders right now.

Although I don't think Maplewood will win, I do believe that Maryville is going to come across a very different type of player than they are accustomed to playing against.......I think back to the 80's when BA played A-E.......nice suburban school kid against tough, inner city school kid. Although BA almost beat A-E in the second half because of heart and being stopped at the 2 foot line, the talent level at A-E was amazing.....not nice kids....tore down signs, taunted players and fans, etc....but great ball players. Some of the names from that team come to mind is Leroy Thompson(Penn St and Steelers), Von Reeves (UT), Rhonya Quick (Louisville), some player named Littlejohn, and a host of other players that played in college. I don't, however, think Maplewood has that kind of talent, but my prediction is they aren't gonna be nice. They are at a game against a nationally ranked team that really no one expects them to win, and they are elated they are there. Maplewood HS is in about the same environment as Knoxville A-E. They do have a history for talent, especially in the 1970's and 80's with Preston Brown (Vandy), EJ Junior (Alabama), Big Ron Hale (Vandy) and several other college players.....historically in the past a goldmine for TSU and John Merrit...... I do believe Maryville is destined to win. Maplewood will try physical intimidation early to try to come out on top to get in the Maryville players heads. If that doesn't work, Maplewood will fold their tent and get destroyed, but play dirty. Seen it happen too many times with this type of team.