Best Coaches in Knoxville Area?

catpalace

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William Blount doesn't have the talent that Farragut,Bearden and Maryville have year after year. This year was the worst William Blount team I have seen in a long time. Most years William Blount will have a team that is very scrappy.

gotcha...that makes sense. It will be hard to surpass any of the top 3 teams in District 4-AAA due to just like you said, the sheer talent pool that they have to pull from

what makes William Blount's coach so good. I can not argue with the other coaches as they consistantly get their teams to the Region and State Tournaments year in and year out. Just wanted some feedback to why Bauman is listed with your other choices?

How about the coach at A.E. He consistently gets his teams to the Region, Sub State, and State?

How about the coach at A.E. He consistently gets his teams to the Region, Sub State, and State?

Coach Mitchell is a classic. Here are the grades for the coaches around:

Bearden: Blevins.Great preparer. Great knowledge of the game. Above average in-game coach. A-

Maryville: Eldridge. Cool. Excellent in-game coach. Not afraid to take chances. A

Farragut: Dodgen. Hilarious man. Great regular season coach. Average post season coach. B

Fulton: Wright. Has a lot of talent and makes the most of it. A

WB: Baumann. Limited talent. Intense coach. Great father figure for players. A-

AE: Mitchell. Always makes it to State. Needs to win it though. Good fit for players. B+

Oak Ridge: Norris. Best looking according to my wife. Solid. A-

Smartest Coach (retired)

Oliver Springs: Cupp. 1 year wonder 32-5 State tournament berth. Beat Eldridge 103-61.

Retired after one season and moved on to more difficult challenges like

Upward Basketball where he is proud of his 24-0 record in 2 seasons.

Thanks for all of the information. Like i previously said, i am a student at UT and recently changed my major to what I've always wanted to do(teach and coach basketball) and I am wanting to get involved in a program around here. I figured it could be a great learning experience to be affiliated with a top coach and a top high school program in knoxville, and I'm sure a coach wouldn't mind free help. So thanks for all the information!

Coach Mitchell is a classic. Here are the grades for the coaches around:

Bearden: Blevins.Great preparer. Great knowledge of the game. Above average in-game coach. A-

Maryville: Eldridge. Cool. Excellent in-game coach. Not afraid to take chances. A

Farragut: Dodgen. Hilarious man. Great regular season coach. Average post season coach. B

Fulton: Wright. Has a lot of talent and makes the most of it. A

WB: Baumann. Limited talent. Intense coach. Great father figure for players. A-

AE: Mitchell. Always makes it to State. Needs to win it though. Good fit for players. B+

Oak Ridge: Norris. Best looking according to my wife. Solid. A-

Smartest Coach (retired)

Oliver Springs: Cupp. 1 year wonder 32-5 State tournament berth. Beat Eldridge 103-61.

Retired after one season and moved on to more difficult challenges like

Upward Basketball where he is proud of his 24-0 record in 2 seasons.

Great breakdown ET. Let me add some thoughts:

Blevins: Still hold a grudge for running it up on us at home a few years back ... inexcusable ... I need to get over it. Obviously a great coach ... but has the luxury of drawing great talent.

Eldridge: Inherited a solid program ... but took it to the next level. Great demeanor ... one of the largest "bench staffs" of all time ... I looked over during one tournament game and there was almost as many coaches as players on the bench. Love how he always changes out of his "dressy suff" to t-shirt and gym shorts after games.

Dodgen: Absolutely best "ref worker" of any high school coach I've been around. BTW ... Stan Ballard was pretty good at this also ... coached a year of AAU with him, he got us a lot of calls!!!

Wright: Record speaks for itself I think. Don't know alot about him, but know he's very well respected by his peers.

Mitchell: Needs to teach his guys at least one "inbounds play". Needs to prove AE is playing on more than just "pure talent". Agree with you ... needs to bring home a gold ball.

Baumann: I wouldn't want my son playing for anyone else. Plus, in the event it my increase my son's p.t.--"my wife thinks he really, really hot." She also thinks Assistant Coach Haworth is a cutie.

Cupp: I didn't think you kept score in Upward. I thought it was just about teaching kids the love of the game. Some people get so hung up on winning and losing. I heard about this one t-ball coach that took his kid on vacation the day of the big championship game and cost his team first place and I heard he took a lot of grief over it. Shame, shame. Truthfully, while you do a good job behind the mic, I miss you coaching. You ever consider a comeback?