Maryville vs Halls

RebFan101

Yawn.......... /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" /> Your stur'n your own pot....................I've read all the post on Alcoa and Maryville, no one but you is play'n the "poor Maryville's the underdog" card.

By no means is Maryville the underdog unless they lose to Halls. Remember my post was in response to MHS and it was general statement. You got the wrong guy. I said "I Hope" someone says somthing stupid. Sorry I made you bored but we are just chatting and in no way would I insinuate that a team that has been trounced by Maryville the last few years would be the favorite. I respect Alcoa but not that much.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By no means is Maryville the underdog unless they lose to Halls. Remember my post was in response to MHS and it was general statement. You got the wrong guy. I said "I Hope" someone says somthing stupid. Sorry I made you bored but we are just chatting and in no way would I insinuate that a team that has been trounced by Maryville the last few years would be the favorite. I respect Alcoa but not that much.

I got ya now...........sorry /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I was like" where's this coming from?" /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

BUT, I know for fact Maryville and Alcoa don't need ANY ammunition to get up for their matchup! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I got ya now...........sorry /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I was like" where's this coming from?" /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

BUT, I know for fact Maryville and Alcoa don't need ANY ammunition to get up for their matchup! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Boy is that ever true. I will never forget my freshman year and we had a pep rally and had all these shirts made up that said Sweet 16. (in reference to fact that Maryville was going to win again for the 16th year in row) Guess what? Maryville lost. See what I am talking about? All a team needs is motivation from being disrespected. It does happen all the time but bragging rights for a year ought to be motivation enough. Anyway is it not cool that we can talk about high school football in Blount County again. I would wish you good luck and I would mean it just not when Maryville plays Alcoa. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Boy is that ever true. I will never forget my freshman year and we had a pep rally and had all these shirts made up that said Sweet 16. (in reference to fact that Maryville was going to win again for the 16th year in row) Guess what? Maryville lost. See what I am talking about? All a team needs is motivation from being disrespected. It does happen all the time but bragging rights for a year ought to be motivation enough. Anyway is it not cool that we can talk about high school football in Blount County again. I would wish you good luck and I would mean it just not when Maryville plays Alcoa. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Too bad your outside the Blount County area now, the last four years has been a H.S. football dream come true!

Likewise........I loved all the thursday games last year. I got to watch 5 Maryille games...........even had Red & Black colors on /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Ever heard an Alcoa fan doing that? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Oh except the Alcoa/Maryville game......all Maroon and Aluminum. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Too bad your outside the Blount County area now, the last four years has been a H.S. football dream come true!

Likewise........I loved all the thursday games last year. I got to watch 5 Maryille games...........even had Red & Black colors on /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Ever heard an Alcoa fan doing that? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

That is cool. When I go to the state championship in Murfreesboro I see a load of the Maryville fans sitting with the Alcoa fans rooting for Alcoa because they play on Friday night and they come down early to root them on. It is always a little weird at first but soon your Blount County pride comes out and your like Go Alcoa! (God forgive me) /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

mhs

I too think it is funny to hear Alcoa fans talk about 'Were just a little 2A School" Alcoa doesn't have that many students but they have 2 bigtime advantages over a lot of teams.

1. Alcoa has the backing from Alcoa Alumnium. Alcoa is one of the highest paying jobs in the state. Money isn't a problem at Alcoa. Alcoa has nice facilities.

2. Not many schools have a Hall Commmunity. Hall Community has produced more D1 players than the rest of Blount County combined.

Alcoa is not your typical 2A School.

Hey Joe-Shmoes - if ya wanna talk you're Alcoa/Maryville trash, go ahead and be my guest...on another thread please. There's not one, excluding Ironman80, halls guy who cares about the Tornadoes. Back on topic.

60-0

3 more days away

Be there fairly early

Hard nosed running

60-1

I hate to tell you, but you can't be one-dimensional if you want to beat Maryville. You are going to need a lot more than hard-nosed running in this game. Just ask Powell fans. I remember exactly what a lot of fans were saying about Powell's chances against Maryville both in 2004 and 2005. The Panthers had solid teams both years (Bruhin brothers, Lee Smith, Baron Huber, Cody Watts), Maryville was supposedly 'down,' but the Rebels wouldn't have any of it (neither game was close, with the exception of the 2004 playoff game).

For Halls, this seems very reminiscent to those two Powell-Maryville match-ups. I don't know how anyone can pick against the Rebels, until they actually lose. I think it's safe to say that you can never definitively say that Maryville is down, and although Halls will be more experienced and an improved team (plus, it is the season opener), I think it's obvious that there is still a big gap between #1 and #2 in region 3. With all of these people talking about an upset, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Maryville won by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Keep in mind, Maryville hasn't struggled in an opener since they lost to Alcoa in the 2000 opener, 14-7. Maryville should have a pretty good memory of last year's game, so I don't expect an upset. I'd love to see a great game though!

mhs

I too think it is funny to hear Alcoa fans talk about 'Were just a little 2A School" Alcoa doesn't have that many students but they have 2 bigtime advantages over a lot of teams.

1. Alcoa has the backing from Alcoa Alumnium. Alcoa is one of the highest paying jobs in the state. Money isn't a problem at Alcoa. Alcoa has nice facilities.

2. Not many schools have a Hall Commmunity. Hall Community has produced more D1 players than the rest of Blount County combined.

Alcoa is not your typical 2A School.

I understand what your saying , but cant the same be said for maryville , but in different words? Neither maryville ro alcoa are "typical" highschools , on any level ,athletically or academically

I hate to tell you, but you can't be one-dimensional if you want to beat Maryville. You are going to need a lot more than hard-nosed running in this game. Just ask Powell fans. I remember exactly what a lot of fans were saying about Powell's chances against Maryville both in 2004 and 2005. The Panthers had solid teams both years (Bruhin brothers, Lee Smith, Baron Huber, Cody Watts), Maryville was supposedly 'down,' but the Rebels wouldn't have any of it (neither game was close, with the exception of the 2004 playoff game).

For Halls, this seems very reminiscent to those two Powell-Maryville match-ups. I don't know how anyone can pick against the Rebels, until they actually lose. I think it's safe to say that you can never definitively say that Maryville is down, and although Halls will be more experienced and an improved team (plus, it is the season opener), I think it's obvious that there is still a big gap between #1 and #2 in region 3. With all of these people talking about an upset, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Maryville won by 2 or 3 touchdowns. Keep in mind, Maryville hasn't struggled in an opener since they lost to Alcoa in the 2000 opener, 14-7. Maryville should have a pretty good memory of last year's game, so I don't expect an upset. I'd love to see a great game though!

so if halls runs for 500 yards of offense and throws for 10, you dont think they can beat maryville.

now i am not saying that will happen or that maryville cant stop the run, GQ is a great coach and i am sure he will come up with somethin, but i believe you can be one-dimensonal and still have a chance to compete at a high level

so if halls runs for 500 yards of offense and throws for 10, you dont think they can beat maryville.

now i am not saying that will happen or that maryville cant stop the run, GQ is a great coach and i am sure he will come up with somethin, but i believe you can be one-dimensonal and still have a chance to compete at a high level

Of course you can win a game like that, IF you can have that kind of success. However, when was the last time a team had that kind of one-dimensional success against Maryville? It just doesn't happen. That's why they haven't lost in what seems like ages. GQ is no fool, if Halls can't pass the ball, I'd say it's pretty likely that he'll put 9 or 10 guys in the box. You at least have to get a team like that off-kilter somehow.

With all due respect it normally takes three games to gain 500 yards on the ground vs. a Jimmy Gaylor defense. GQ is a great play caller and coach but Mr. Gaylor knows how to make defensive adjustments like few others. It is no question many of us feel this year’s team is off the pace than some of the others the past several years, but that is based upon Maryville's standards. No one in the state the past several years has been able to accomplish what Maryville has. I know many want to see Maryville fall flat on their face because they are riddled with hate and jealously of a group of hard working kids. One day Maryville has to lose, it happens to every team but it is how you lose that speaks volumes of just what true champions are. When Maryville loses they will still be champions with more history than many others.

The Halls game should be a good one and the Rebels need it to get the intensity going. Halls could win but I would lay a paycheck that the rebels will still win the region and be waiting in the play-offs for a re-match. GQ and company will get it going. In 2000 GQ's team went 0-4 and many were laughing at the Rebels until the first week in Dec. when a team from Memphis East was going to destroy the rebels, but that game was never close.

Some might point to Alcoa as being some type of equal, but that is silly as well. 2A other than Good pasture and Alcoa is a cake walk these days. Alcoa gets tuition students just as Maryville does and many of the D1 prospects transferred in from Knoxville. The vast majority have not even been able to qualify academically to play D1, but they got a championship at 2A! I don't know of any D1 kid from Maryville that could not qualify academically for D1. Maybe there are a few, but Alcoa has had far more D1 Prospects than MHS has. Ether transfer or home grown. Thus far BW is the only one who has impacted his D1 team and we still don’t know if he will be cleared by the NCAA to play for the Vols. There is little to no competition in 2A and even if Alcoa should win this year, they are no where close to the stature or class of Maryville Football. When was the last time Alcoa lost or won by less than 3 points to a 2A team? Maryville has had several close games to prove their metal vs. 5a and 4A. Most years the Rebels embarrass Alcoa. Losing is not embarrassing but getting thrashed when the press, internet and fans build their team up only to leave the home stands early with mouths hanging open. If Alcoa should beat Maryville by 30 points this year you won't see the MHS fans going home early. Most years you can't get a seat for this game until the end of the 2nd QTR on the Alcoa side. I think the over-all record is something like 54-21.

I once pulled for Alcoa. My sons had friends over there and lined up against several of them for some real slobber knockers, but when Reid went over and beat another HS team of kids by something like 85 points mainly just to run his numbers up, I lost all of my respect for the program. I saw players with no class act like a bunch of punks taunting, pointing and talking trash while most of their fans cheered those thugs on like they did something. I am sorry for being hard but I don't apologies for how I feel about how the game should be played and how kids should act when they have been blessed to represent their community by playing a sport. Winning is great but having class in winning or losing is bigger than any trophy.