Maryville vs Halls

RebFan101

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect it normally takes three games to gain 500 yards on the ground vs. a Jimmy Gaylor defense. GQ is a great play caller and coach but Mr. Gaylor knows how to make defensive adjustments like few others. It is no question many of us feel this year’s team is off the pace than some of the others the past several years, but that is based upon Maryville's standards. No one in the state the past several years has been able to accomplish what Maryville has. I know many want to see Maryville fall flat on their face because they are riddled with hate and jealously of a group of hard working kids. One day Maryville has to lose, it happens to every team but it is how you lose that speaks volumes of just what true champions are. When Maryville loses they will still be champions with more history than many others.

The Halls game should be a good one and the Rebels need it to get the intensity going. Halls could win but I would lay a paycheck that the rebels will still win the region and be waiting in the play-offs for a re-match. GQ and company will get it going. In 2000 GQ's team went 0-4 and many were laughing at the Rebels until the first week in Dec. when a team from Memphis East was going to destroy the rebels, but that game was never close.

Some might point to Alcoa as being some type of equal, but that is silly as well. 2A other than Good pasture and Alcoa is a cake walk these days. Alcoa gets tuition students just as Maryville does and many of the D1 prospects transferred in from Knoxville. The vast majority have not even been able to qualify academically to play D1, but they got a championship at 2A! I don't know of any D1 kid from Maryville that could not qualify academically for D1. Maybe there are a few, but Alcoa has had far more D1 Prospects than MHS has. Ether transfer or home grown. Thus far BW is the only one who has impacted his D1 team and we still don’t know if he will be cleared by the NCAA to play for the Vols. There is little to no competition in 2A and even if Alcoa should win this year, they are no where close to the stature or class of Maryville Football. When was the last time Alcoa lost or won by less than 3 points to a 2A team? Maryville has had several close games to prove their metal vs. 5a and 4A. Most years the Rebels embarrass Alcoa. Losing is not embarrassing but getting thrashed when the press, internet and fans build their team up only to leave the home stands early with mouths hanging open. If Alcoa should beat Maryville by 30 points this year you won't see the MHS fans going home early. Most years you can't get a seat for this game until the end of the 2nd QTR on the Alcoa side. I think the over-all record is something like 54-21.

I once pulled for Alcoa. My sons had friends over there and lined up against several of them for some real slobber knockers, but when Reid went over and beat another HS team of kids by something like 85 points mainly just to run his numbers up, I lost all of my respect for the program. I saw players with no class act like a bunch of punks taunting, pointing and talking trash while most of their fans cheered those thugs on like they did something. I am sorry for being hard but I don't apologies for how I feel about how the game should be played and how kids should act when they have been blessed to represent their community by playing a sport. Winning is great but having class in winning or losing is bigger than any trophy.

What does this tangent tirade against Alcoa have to do with the post about Halls' one dimensional offense?

FBE, you should have saved this particular post for the Maryville/Alcoa thread next week.

Hey Joe-Shmoes - if ya wanna talk you're Alcoa/Maryville trash, go ahead and be my guest...on another thread please. There's not one, excluding Ironman80, halls guy who cares about the Tornadoes. Back on topic.

60-0

3 more days away

Be there fairly early

Hard nosed running

60-1

Evidently the Alcoa folks find our threads more interesting. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I understand what your saying , but cant the same be said for maryville , but in different words? Neither maryville ro alcoa are "typical" highschools , on any level ,athletically or academically

+1 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

1. Maryville pays teachers as much as Alcoa. Typically Maryville, Alcoa and Oak Ridge are tops in the state for teacher pay. (public school system)

2. Maryville has better facilities. Nice field house, strength and conditioning area, dressing room, etc.

3, Hall community advantage? yes, But an ADDITIONAL 1000+ students at the school to pull talent would be a BIGGER advantage.

With all due respect it normally takes three games to gain 500 yards on the ground vs. a Jimmy Gaylor defense. GQ is a great play caller and coach but Mr. Gaylor knows how to make defensive adjustments like few others. It is no question many of us feel this year’s team is off the pace than some of the others the past several years, but that is based upon Maryville's standards. No one in the state the past several years has been able to accomplish what Maryville has. I know many want to see Maryville fall flat on their face because they are riddled with hate and jealously of a group of hard working kids. One day Maryville has to lose, it happens to every team but it is how you lose that speaks volumes of just what true champions are. When Maryville loses they will still be champions with more history than many others.

The Halls game should be a good one and the Rebels need it to get the intensity going. Halls could win but I would lay a paycheck that the rebels will still win the region and be waiting in the play-offs for a re-match. GQ and company will get it going. In 2000 GQ's team went 0-4 and many were laughing at the Rebels until the first week in Dec. when a team from Memphis East was going to destroy the rebels, but that game was never close.

Some might point to Alcoa as being some type of equal, but that is silly as well. 2A other than Good pasture and Alcoa is a cake walk these days. Alcoa gets tuition students just as Maryville does and many of the D1 prospects transferred in from Knoxville. The vast majority have not even been able to qualify academically to play D1, but they got a championship at 2A! I don't know of any D1 kid from Maryville that could not qualify academically for D1. Maybe there are a few, but Alcoa has had far more D1 Prospects than MHS has. Ether transfer or home grown. Thus far BW is the only one who has impacted his D1 team and we still don’t know if he will be cleared by the NCAA to play for the Vols. There is little to no competition in 2A and even if Alcoa should win this year, they are no where close to the stature or class of Maryville Football. When was the last time Alcoa lost or won by less than 3 points to a 2A team? Maryville has had several close games to prove their metal vs. 5a and 4A. Most years the Rebels embarrass Alcoa. Losing is not embarrassing but getting thrashed when the press, internet and fans build their team up only to leave the home stands early with mouths hanging open. If Alcoa should beat Maryville by 30 points this year you won't see the MHS fans going home early. Most years you can't get a seat for this game until the end of the 2nd QTR on the Alcoa side. I think the over-all record is something like 54-21.

I once pulled for Alcoa. My sons had friends over there and lined up against several of them for some real slobber knockers, but when Reid went over and beat another HS team of kids by something like 85 points mainly just to run his numbers up, I lost all of my respect for the program. I saw players with no class act like a bunch of punks taunting, pointing and talking trash while most of their fans cheered those thugs on like they did something. I am sorry for being hard but I don't apologies for how I feel about how the game should be played and how kids should act when they have been blessed to represent their community by playing a sport. Winning is great but having class in winning or losing is bigger than any trophy.

Coach Rankin has brought class and discipline to the Alcoa program. Too bad FBmoron will NEVER have any class! You sir................are a LOSER! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

+1 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

1. Maryville pays teachers as much as Alcoa. Typically Maryville, Alcoa and Oak Ridge are tops in the state for teacher pay. (public school system)

2. Maryville has better facilities. Nice field house, strength and conditioning area, dressing room, etc.

3, Hall community advantage? yes, But an ADDITIONAL 1000+ students at the school to pull talent would be a BIGGER advantage.

I dunno BC, I've yet to see a kid under the age of 17 in and around the Hall Community that didn't look like an absolute total athlete.

As for the game itself this week......

The one interesting point that has been brought up is the one versus multi-dimensional offensive attack.

If I recall correctly, most Halls fans were talking about the lack of a passing attack nearly all season last year. All I know is that they brough their A-game to Maryville last year and were able to throw the ball quite well. I truthfully do not know if they were able to another game or not, but they were able to stretch the field and open up the run game. Had the passing game not been there, Maryville would have won that game 20+ points and everyone knows it.

That said, if they are able to throw the ball well again this year and loosen up the Maryville D, Halls has a good chance to win this game. If they cannot and make it a one dimensional running game, the only way Halls has a chance is by Maryville beating themselves. That has not happened may times at all under a GQ-coached team.

Coach Rankin has brought class and discipline to the Alcoa program. Too bad FBmoron will NEVER have any class! You sir................are a LOSER! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So I guess you are saying class and discipline was needed then? I really don't like personal attacks but when attacked I have no trouble responding with what I believe to be factual.

This thread was about the Halls-Maryville game. It was some of Alcoa's fans who were hijacking the thread and talking about things other than that football game. I have seen it before were some with little class talk real loud about Alcoa until after the Maryville game. 14-1 is a great season and I would take it too like ole’ Fulmer would too.

I also think Coach Rankin, a great coach and fine man has brought more class and discipline to the program but lets see it the 29th. On the field and in the stands. Because by all hype again this year Alcoa should beat Maryville and then promote the thought they are the best in all classes. But winning in East TN 2A is nothing like winning in East TN 3A, 4A or 5A because there is a great deal of parity and competition at those levels. Heck I think there are tighter games at 1A as well. I base this on win loss records and point spreads.

Call me a moron or a loser if you like I just consider the source then take comfort in knowing the truth of things, as I believe they are. Good day.

I am not going to lie. I am worried about this Maryville team. We don't seem to be doing much of anything to write home about. However, if this team is like the teams of the past they will step it up. The teams of the past were challenged numerous times and Maryville always kicked it into high gear. Sometimes the motivation came from within and other times it came from opposing teams.

Examples:

2001: The Maryville Daily Times ran a front page article on Gerald Riggs, Jr. (the UT signee) coming to play Maryville. Maryville players were upset that he garnished the front page of their newspaper. The paper was on every single whiteboard in every single classroom so every single football player could see it. Maryville came out mad and held GRjr to 70 yards rushing.

2002: Maryville vs Central was a huge game. Both schools were undefeated and the winner took home the region. The morning of the game a banner was hanging on the back of the stadium that said, "Maryville 9-1, Central 10-0". It quickly spread around the school that Central kids had come to our high school and hung a banner proclaiming we would lose to them. Maryville walked through Central and quarterback Helton was on his back more than a... well... you know. It later came out that one of the Maryville seniors had put the banner up to fire up the team.

Anyway, if this team can make the pieces come together and play with some heart then they will be very tough to beat. They have talent, but it just seems to me like they don't want to make it come together. Instead they just expect it to come together. Everyone on the team needs to do their own part and make it work. Many of the kids on the team seem to expect to lose some this year. That is not the way they should be thinking. Instead they should think be thinking that losing is not an option. Hopefully the jamboree woke them up and they get fired up for Friday night.

Maryville has a couple weak points on defense. They need to shore those up this week. If they can do that then Halls will have a tough time moving the ball against them. Maryville needs to be sure they tackle well and they can pull off the win. The big thing that I have seen out of Maryville so far is that they bend, but do not break. If they can get the turnovers that they have gotten in scrimmages then they will be in all of the games they play this year, if not winning them. Offense just has to do a little work to help out the defense.

BTW:FBEmeritus... look for Randall Cobb to make an immediate impact at the University of Kentucky on August 31st. Coaches have described him as 'Dang good' and our offensive coordinator, who coached Moe Williams, says he is the best player he has ever coached. He has already moved to 2nd string quarterback and will probably seem some snaps against UofL. If not he will be on the field elsewhere. Kyrus Lanxter will also have a big time effect on UKs offense this year.

You guys are working hard to make Maryville sound weak. You guys must be a little spoiled. Your freshmen team could play the varsity schedule and finish 6-4 or 7-3. The only issue I see is the fact that the last senior class was so good, that the the incoming class is less well known and proven compared to them.

Injuries for Halls have halted my earlier hopes of a close game.

Maryville 31

Halls 10

This is my best stab at an objective prediction. I am not writing this game off as a loss. I will be there and cheering Halls on, but the only chance Halls has is for Maryville to turn the ball over. That usually does not happen. If Halls loses, I hope they can get some guys back and make a run for the playoffs.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... Lets talk Friday who CARES about ALCOA this week?

Based on all the post that pertains to the subject it seems Halls/Maryville have some of the same questions to get answered Friday Night.

1- Who are the TEAM leaders that will step up for this BIG GAME?

2- Can either team complete a pass?

3- Special Teams Which team Wins here?

4- Can Halls/Maryville get the job done upfront to allow plays to develop?

5- What about Depth from both sides?

6- Can Halls finally defend the option IF Maryville has truly had to return to a running game?

7- Can Maryville stop the stable of running backs that Halls will feature?

As for my prediction Friday night... Halls! However the BOYZ will have to avoid Turnovers and the Coach J and staff will need to out COACH GQ and staff. The stage is set for a great night of football in North Knoxville.

Go BIG RED! The red devil nation is behind you in force Friday night strap it up and play hard nosed against those Nike Champions.

Maryville we dont hate ya... WE LOVE YA...No need to walk around with that chip on your shoulder, that everbody is after me. It matters not to us if you are 60-0 or 60-1.