Top Posters In This Topic

1500-2000

maryville alcoa game last year was liek close to 5000

You're either...

A. Uniformed.

B. Nuts

C. Jealous

D. All of the above

The Halls Vs Maryville game will draw a HUGE crowd!

This thread isn't about Alcoa fella.

You'll get your turn in another week to prove your little point.

I'm pretty excited about this game. I think it will be nice to have an idea of what we're fielding in the week leading up to Alcoa, although it does take some of the anxiety and anticipation out of that week for me.

I'm also pretty excited to see all of the Halls fans on here supporting their team. It gets a little boring sometimes when it's just all us Rebel fans on here talking to each other. It's pretty refreshing to see a team coming in against us and actually expecting to win. We usually only see that from the fans of Alcoa, WB and whoever we play in the state championship.

There are some things that this year's team has to face that I think could have an impact on it like none of the recent teams:

1. The Nike deal - putting that swoosh on the jersey put an even bigger target on the team's back. Honestly, this has drawn so much attention, both locally and nationally, that I think the bullseye grew even bigger. Further, I think it has been a pride point and a distraction for the team.

2. The streak - There's a lot of pressure on this team to maintain the streak. A lot of times in sports you'll hear coaches and players say that a loss was a good thing for their team or program. I wonder if Maryville's perceived lack of intensity isn't the result of great pride in off the field recognition (see point #1) as well as built up confidence over the long span of wins.

3. The big 0 - That's right, this team has never experienced a loss at the varsity high school level. There's a 0 in the L column. Not sure how I'd deal with that, but I think it would make me feel invincible and entitled and neither are a good thing.

So, Maryville obviously has some challenges, but they also have some very positive assets as well. First of all, I count it as a certainty that GQ and crew will never be outcoached. If it gets close, MHS knows how to win and its leadership knows how to get them in that position. Next, MHS expects to win while Halls, like so many before them, only thinks they can. There is a difference. Last, Maryville has all the experience that goes with having won so many games along the way. Halls may have a great group this year, but that's something that can't be captured so quickly.

I expect a good game Friday night, and I'm almost giddy with anticipation of kicking off another season of high school football!

Excellent post. ^^^

My pre-game summary is shorter.

Whoever wins the battle of turnovers and penatlies will get the "W".

Go Red Devils!

You're either...

A. Uniformed.

B. Nuts

C. Jealous

D. All of the above

The Halls Vs Maryville game will draw a HUGE crowd!

This thread isn't about Alcoa fella.

You'll get your turn in another week to prove your little point.

well how many do you think? cause its not gonna be more than the Alcoa maryville game , any year , that game pulls more than most State championship games

Some might point to Alcoa as being some type of equal, but that is silly as well. 2A other than Good pasture and Alcoa is a cake walk these days. Alcoa gets tuition students just as Maryville does and many of the D1 prospects transferred in from Knoxville. The vast majority have not even been able to qualify academically to play D1, but they got a championship at 2A! I don't know of any D1 kid from Maryville that could not qualify academically for D1. Maybe there are a few, but Alcoa has had far more D1 Prospects than MHS has. Ether transfer or home grown. Thus far BW is the only one who has impacted his D1 team and we still don’t know if he will be cleared by the NCAA to play for the Vols. There is little to no competition in 2A and even if Alcoa should win this year, they are no where close to the stature or class of Maryville Football. When was the last time Alcoa lost or won by less than 3 points to a 2A team? Maryville has had several close games to prove their metal vs. 5a and 4A. Most years the Rebels embarrass Alcoa. Losing is not embarrassing but getting thrashed when the press, internet and fans build their team up only to leave the home stands early with mouths hanging open. If Alcoa should beat Maryville by 30 points this year you won't see the MHS fans going home early. Most years you can't get a seat for this game until the end of the 2nd QTR on the Alcoa side. I think the over-all record is something like 54-21.

I once pulled for Alcoa. My sons had friends over there and lined up against several of them for some real slobber knockers, but when Reid went over and beat another HS team of kids by something like 85 points mainly just to run his numbers up, I lost all of my respect for the program. I saw players with no class act like a bunch of punks taunting, pointing and talking trash while most of their fans cheered those thugs on like they did something. I am sorry for being hard but I don't apologies for how I feel about how the game should be played and how kids should act when they have been blessed to represent their community by playing a sport. Winning is great but having class in winning or losing is bigger than any trophy.

First of all I want to apologize to all the Halls fans for talking about Alcoa on this thread. However I must respond to this post. First of all your right Alcoa is not equal to Maryville. Maryville has 1500 students and Alcoa has less than 500. Then you say 2a is a cake walk?? Goodpasture has beaten some quality teams. So have other teams. Last year Westview 2a beat Henry Co 4a. I think Henry Co was in the quarterfinal or semifinals in 4a.. Westview got beat in the first round of the playoffs.... There are some very good teams in 2a, except Alcoa has been alot better. As far as kids coming from Knoxville to play in Blount County. I say whatever you think is best for your kid. For the academics comment apparently you just want to trash Alcoa. Brandon,Cobb,Lanxter,White,Fiegler,& a few more. I know 3 at Maryville college. They don't let dummies in there. Ok Maryville has dominated the series as of late but things might change for a year or two. To address the 91 points on GP... I'm sorry but that is not what happened at that game. TOTALLY A LIE... 1. Our defense scored 7 touchdowns. Our second team was in for half the game. Our third string played alot as well. So as far as running it up I say DON'T PUT A TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH 2 WINS IN THE REGULAR SEASON. You don't know what the heck your talking about. GEEZ!!!! This is what the tssaa has done to high school football in TN. Their is too many classifications and now there going to add more. FBEmeritus you will only see more blowouts in the future because of this so don't blame ALCOA when it happens. Point the finger at someone else. By the way do you know any body that wants to play us??? We have a hard time putting together a schedule. WB,WEBB,MCCALLIE,FULTON,& SOUTH DOYLE have all dropped us. Give us a little credit we are staring at 5 straight. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

[/indent]
As for the Maryville, Halls game is should be a barn burner. Halls definitely has a chance to win this one. The only thing is Maryville knows how to win. I have to go with Maryville on this one, besides we want to be the ones to end their streak. Maryville 24 Halls 23 /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

First of all I want to apologize to all the Halls fans for talking about Alcoa on this thread. However I must respond to this post. First of all your right Alcoa is not equal to Maryville. Maryville has 1500 students and Alcoa has less than 500. Then you say 2a is a cake walk?? Goodpasture has beaten some quality teams. So have other teams. Last year Westview 2a beat Henry Co 4a. I think Henry Co was in the quarterfinal or semifinals in 4a.. Westview got beat in the first round of the playoffs.... There are some very good teams in 2a, except Alcoa has been alot better. As far as kids coming from Knoxville to play in Blount County. I say whatever you think is best for your kid. For the academics comment apparently you just want to trash Alcoa. Brandon,Cobb,Lanxter,White,Fiegler,& a few more. I know 3 at Maryville college. They don't let dummies in there. Ok Maryville has dominated the series as of late but things might change for a year or two. To address the 91 points on GP... I'm sorry but that is not what happened at that game. TOTALLY A LIE... 1. Our defense scored 7 touchdowns. Our second team was in for half the game. Our third string played alot as well. So as far as running it up I say DON'T PUT A TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH 2 WINS IN THE REGULAR SEASON. You don't know what the heck your talking about. GEEZ!!!! This is what the tssaa has done to high school football in TN. Their is too many classifications and now there going to add more. FBEmeritus you will only see more blowouts in the future because of this so don't blame ALCOA when it happens. Point the finger at someone else. By the way do you know any body that wants to play us??? We have a hard time putting together a schedule. WB,WEBB,MCCALLIE,FULTON,& SOUTH DOYLE have all dropped us. Give us a little credit we are staring at 5 straight. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

[/indent]
As for the Maryville, Halls game is should be a barn burner. Halls definitely has a chance to win this one. The only thing is Maryville knows how to win. I have to go with Maryville on this one, besides we want to be the ones to end their streak. Maryville 24 Halls 23 /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

volfan5, Welcome to the FBE fan club! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I noticed the news sentinel tried to build some drama for the game by talking about Maryville's injury issues. I am afraid Halls has more injuries for this game than Maryville. I don't think Halls has the depth to overcome injuries as well as Maryville. I hope both teams can get through this game without additional injuries.

I heard that there is a rumor that the Game is already sold out.... Is it possible to PreSale all the seats in a HS game???

Anyone know?

HHS did not send tickets to MHS, but the HHS office is still selling tickets. The gates and ticket booths open at 4:30pm (according to the HHS office). I don't think there is such a thing as a sell out. Reserve seats may all be gone, but SRO seats won't run out.