South Pittsburg Pirates 2011 Version

OLD PIRATE

No but the article said the gate could be as much as $25K.

That would take at least 10,000 people at $5 a ticket . . . how many can the cram in at Beene Stadium? ~ 5000? That isn't bad for a little 'ol 1a school.

Where did you learn math? Last time I checked 5,000 people at $5 a head was $25K.... I think SP might have made that on the SM game last year as there were at least 5,000 people there. What the article didn't say was SP has large gates for the Polk, Marion, Boyd and SM games when they host them. This year they even added Sequatchie which is sure to be another large gate, so why would they need Alcoa and in their non-hosting year have the expense of traveling 2+ hours? Coach Grider is a smart man as is Coach Price and I think the article affirmed that.

After getting hammered at Polk County last year, it didn't really make any sense scheduling Alcoa. There are only 5 public schools with a football team smaller than S.P. How in hades do you expect them to have the depth when they are routinely playing guys both ways as it is.

However, if Rankin is running around offering up $25,000 to get the 5th smallest public school with a football team to play them, it puts his character into question. Maybe he should call up Brentwood Academy or better yet, come down to Florida or south Georgia and get one of those teams. Some of them have stadiums big enough to host Division II College games (like Valdosta).

No doubt that Grider did not want to play Alcoa. The article was not much help to SP.

Alcoa does need to play some of these programs on the national scene. They are the premier program in Tennessee. I believe someone else said this, but with the way the TSSAA does the playoff brackets, it hurts a team to play a stacked schedule. You end up traveling every round of the playoffs if you play a tough schedule and go 5-5. Then you have these northeast Tennessee teams that play muffin schedules and are rewarded for it. Something is wrong with that.

I garuntee you that Rankin man is giving this boy some of those creatine shakes. If Grider would give our boys some of those, they would be real big and strong.

roy, let me ask you a question. how often a day do you give your boy those creatine shakes? and since grider isn't making him work out is there a "at home" routine you make him do every day?

• Upvote 1