Pearl Cohn @ Smith County

glover

This is the last thing I am going to post on this thread as PC won the game and they deserved to. But, it absolutely has zero to do with the schedule and all you trolls on here like slimshady and friends are doing nothing but trying to draw attention to yourselves. Congratulations, you confirmed my opinion, your an idiot.

Smith County is a 3A school with a little over 600 people. Why do they want to schedule inner city Nashville schools? Why would they not want to play the rural schools like themselves like they have always done? Why is the strength of schedule such a hot topic this year? Is it because they went 10-0 this year and haven't done that in over 20 years? If they had lost two games and wasn't ranked number 1 in the state but rather 5-7 like they are about every year, would that make this discussion have a little less juice? Why? Why do they drop Macon County, and schedule Pearl Cohn? I mean did you see their crowd? They had 100 fans if that. The band didn't pay to get in, remember that. Is York down, yes, wasn't it year before last they advanced to 4th round? Did Livingston not win a state championship 5 years ago? Gordonsville has, White House has. Since when is this year all of a sudden the year that all of those teams are bad schedules. I mean really, do they have to play Trousdale County (not gonna happen) or better yet go call these ABC private schools who recruit rather than playing the schools in a 1 hour radius that is going to bring 3 times the crowd. Or do they have to do a home and home with state champion Knox Catholic 2 and half hours away again? Seriously, this is ridiculous. They have traveled to Nashville or further, ask howdoitknow2. This topic of discussion is comical. Slimshady, can't wait to see you again. I got something for you.

I love gifts. thumb[1].gif

• Upvote 1

First off, while the playcalling wasn't exactly well mixed, it wasn't the reason SC lost. Sometimes you go with what's working and you end up going to the well once too often. That's about all you can say in criticizing the playcalling. Second, scheduling had nothing to do with SC losing either. Unless you have a crystal ball, you don't know what a team is going to do or how good or bad they're going to be when you schedule them. Teams you expect to be creampuffs can turn things around or simply get on a roll and beat you when you don't expect them to. SC lost because of 4 costly turnovers and 3 or 4 plays that either just missed or didn't go their way. It was a 6 point game. One score. Even after all the mistakes, one more would have done it and they had it within their grasp. No shame. PC was a terrible draw because they are that good. Not a typical 8 seed. Good year Owls. Let's do it again next fall.

My take on the situation (you may criticize, that is ok, I'm a big boy). The shedule issue is two sided. Smith Co. cannot control who is in their Region and how their programs will be. Some years they are up, some are down. Built in rivalries with Gordonsville and Macon are good for many reasons. With that being said, scheduling Warren Co. and White Co. and saying "we scheduled up to 5A and 6A" is not a good reason if you know that those programs are and have been weak and that is stating it lightly. There are other teams in the area and even beyond. I know the Trousdale issue keeps coming up but it does make sense to play. Get over your dislike for Trousdale and schedule them. They had to get a game in Kentucky for goodness sake. Large gate, built in rivalry and two solid programs going head to head. These games are what High School Football is all about. Have things happened in the past that have created tension? Yes. That happens in alot of places. Move on and play Football. This season, South Pitt was looking for games to fill their schedule. I bet Coach Maynord and Coach Grider could get together and work out a home and home series. South Pitt always travels extremely well as does Smith Co. and you would have a large walkup crowd to see that one. South Pitt isn't that far from McMinnville and probably just as close as York when you look at travel time. Yes, they are a Class A Team but I can promise you your moneys worth would be received. Other schools like that are in the area. Scheduling Up doesnt always mean better competition. The coaching part that has been mentioned has been kept very quiet over the past couple of years but some on the North side of the river have been quietly complaining about this, especially the play calling on Offense. I know the OC and he is a friend of mine. I believe he is a good coach. The issue I see is The Head Coach has last say and if things aren't going right then it is his responsibility to fix it and any coaching complaint or issue should go directly to the Head Coach. I would say that about any Program and any Head Coach would say that too. Play calling in the second half was a little "stale". Not trying to take away from any young man on the field but in Playoff games and when the season is on the line, your true playmakers need the ball in their hands, period. I know Scurlock was banged up in the first half and I hated to see that. Does anyone believe that had anything to do with the playcalls? (just a question). I know he was not as mobile in the second half. I did see that the best adjustments at halftime were made by Pearl Cohn. That leads in to my next area. I have said since week 1 that the Smith Co. Offensive line did not play up to their size. Yes, they are big but against big, aggressive and quick defensive lines and stunting linebackers they struggled alot (i.e. Gordonsville and Pearl Cohn games). Scurlock and Manning are good backs who have had to do some on their own to get what they did. The officiating was questionable both ways. But that is sometimes the case each week in most every game. With all this said, turnovers were huge. When you lose the turnover battle against good competition this is the result you usually get. I would like to say it has been a pleasure watching Scurlock play. He is a gamer and played hurt a big part of that game last night but never flinched. The Owls will have a hard time replacing him and I have no idea who that someone will be. I also believe your two bookend Defensive Ends were as good a combination as I have seen this year. They are football players. I was able to be there last night to see the game. I am sure this will bring about some adverse comments but thats ok. Just by observations and opinions. Congragulations on a good season.

:thumb:

why? why not.

I will not be on Gordonsville post I don't even read their part in the paper cause I don't care about them. So if you don't care about us why would you be here. Now if you can read maybe you understand. But I believe you do care about us that you keepup with everthing we do. And die with envy.

Edited by oldchsman

I agree with alot of these fans from other schools. What could SC possibly gain besides a big gate from playing these inferior schools every year?? SC is heads and shoulders above the schools they play every year. They need to schedule Maplewood.Smyrna. Riverdale and the like because every year since Maynord has been at SC they go 7-3 at the worst and come play-off time they get waxed..so these other school fans might be on to something because it's a win -win situation for them to get to play the OWLS.

Like Trousdale CO. in reality they are just a good 1A school. Who do they play in the play-offs each year LONSDALE..SISTERS OF THE BLIND and that rugged regular season schedule Pickett CO. with 18 players and 2 of them are girls and that's the truth. G-Ville and FC same boat. So I think they ought to let each school play independently play up not down much like Notre Dame has for yrs.

Why would the OWLS play TC -FC-G-Ville they have nothing to gain. I would like to see the mighty Jackets play Pearl Cohn or G-Ville either one you both would get smashed like a grape. LOL

I agree with alot of these fans from other schools. What could SC possibly gain besides a big gate from playing these inferior schools every year?? SC is heads and shoulders above the schools they play every year. They need to schedule Maplewood.Smyrna. Riverdale and the like because every year since Maynord has been at SC they go 7-3 at the worst and come play-off time they get waxed..so these other school fans might be on to something because it's a win -win situation for them to get to play the OWLS.

Like Trousdale CO. in reality they are just a good 1A school. Who do they play in the play-offs each year LONSDALE..SISTERS OF THE BLIND and that rugged regular season schedule Pickett CO. with 18 players and 2 of them are girls and that's the truth. G-Ville and FC same boat. So I think they ought to let each school play independently play up not down much like Notre Dame has for yrs.

Why would the OWLS play TC -FC-G-Ville they have nothing to gain. I would like to see the mighty Jackets play Pearl Cohn or G-Ville either one you both would get smashed like a grape. LOL

TC does play G'vill. TC beat them 34 to 20 this year. TC is also 2a. TC's regular season schedule I feel for the most part is soft, but the amazing thing is when they hit the play offs they're ready. That's because they do what they do and they do it very well. Not allot of flash and fancy. They just execute very well. Very disciplined team that knows what's expected of them every down. If you look across the state at other successful programs you will see that same formula no matter the size of the school.

TC does play G'vill. TC beat them 34 to 20 this year. TC is also 2a. TC's regular season schedule I feel for the most part is soft, but the amazing thing is when they hit the play offs they're ready. That's because they do what they do and they do it very well. Not allot of flash and fancy. They just execute very well. Very disciplined team that knows what's expected of them every down. If you look across the state at other successful programs you will see that same formula no matter the size of the school.

Something most people arent talking about in this conversation are the injury problems that a TC and a SC would come up against playing bigger schools. Each of these schools have a very good 14 to 15 players that can play with alot of schools across the state. The bigger schools have 20 to 22 players like TC and SC 15. One injury on TC or SC can destroy a good season very quickly. When your playing Cannon or Upperman type teams you can get up early and bench your first 15 without risk of injury also get lots of playing time for the younger kids. This is the difference in a tough schedule and a weak one.

I will not be on Gordonsville post I don't even read their part in the paper cause I don't care about them. So if you don't care about us why would you be here. Now if you can read maybe you understand. But I believe you do care about us that you keepup with everthing we do. And die with envy.

envy? can i read? can u read? Owls#1 in state 3A;10-0 reg.season;#1seed thru out piay-offs with home field; lose 1st round to #8 seed! if you want to blame this crash and burn on somebody, how about the REFS,TSSAA, wet field,coachs ect.,but not Me. i'm just a G'ville fan. see u friday night at Turney Ford Field :thumb:

envy? can i read? can u read? Owls#1 in state 3A;10-0 reg.season;#1seed thru out piay-offs with home field; lose 1st round to #8 seed! if you want to blame this crash and burn on somebody, how about the REFS,TSSAA, wet field,coachs ect.,but not Me. i'm just a G'ville fan. see u friday night at Turney Ford Field :thumb:

You want see me.I will not be there. I don't care what Gordonsville does. You don't have a clue. So this is the last time I respone to you.

Edited by oldchsman

You want see me.I will not be there. I don't care what Gordonsville does. You don't have a clue. So this is the last time I respone to you.

I can tell you care or you wouldnt keep responding. Go Tigers. Win another championship ball for your county. I'm afraid you are the only hope oldchsman has to see another brought back to his county.