Dobyns-Bennett Football

ArtVandalay

I'm not going to do any stirring because last time i got called a woman then a transvestite. Just because i had an opinion that 2 of these guys didn't like. And it wasn't even an opinion about DB that started it. Touchy touchy.

I wish they still had the Big East conference. I think it probably helped the Indians prepare for the playoffs a little better than what they are in now. They dominated that conference for 10+ yrs but they did have to play much better competition week after week. Plus throw in an Oak Ridge or a Farragut. and I think it seasons them more for a playoff run. During the time they were in the Big East, if I'm not mistaken they made a couple of runs deep in the playoffs (correct me if i'm wrong).

I am not a big DB fan but i am a N East tennessean and when playoff time comes I'm pulling for the local teams all the way. Id love for DB to play a little tougher schedule, if possible. A few tough games even if it's a loss would take them to the top.

GREENEVILLE Alumni here! Got my own ring from 2010. DB has never played for a title on a field!

I pull for them too come playoff time. Wish the Devils and Indians would start playing each other. Would be a big crowd draw and a great series. Would probably be good for both teams, with Greeneville program where it's at right now. Like to see 2 or 3 State Titles up this way. Including 1 or 2 in SW Va. also.

Whatever system is in place during a season is the one that must be recognized. So, we have 13 State titles and the UT National Championship was earned as well. And if you don't agree then you can take the T of your car or we can take it off for you because you need to go pull for Alabama Mr.Benedict Arnold. People like you make me sick with your "i know it all about sports and the playoff system". Get a life. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sure is easy to get you DB people upset. I guess whenever I want to see you guys get hysterical, I'll come back and remind you that you haven't won...well, haven't had anything given to you SINCE 1964. But alas, I have more important tasks to tend to.

I was watching the 98 Fiesta Bowl and was wanting a TN victory as much as the next vol fan, but that doesn't change my belief that the system is fundamentally flawed. And if my thinking is so wrong, why will we have a playoff in 2014 when thought of such was laughable a few short years ago.

And lastly, you DB folks need to relax. I present you with indisputable facts and a logical opinion, and you react as if someone is ripping your heart from your chest. And you have the audacity to tell me to get a life when you and your brethren cling to this board and follow the same script every year.

Summer Workouts - "DB has a lot of returning starters, going to be the best year in DB history"

Practice starts/Jamboree - "Going to be the best year in DB history, finally going to bring the gold ball to kingsport"

Regular Season - Redundant self praise of beating hapless NE TN teams in a weak conference

Round 1 of Playoffs - "This week starts our road to destiny and finally bringing that gold ball to kingsport"

Round 2 of Playoffs - Another early playoff exit. Repetitive calls for Graham Clark's termination and how a competent coach would have won it all with this much talent. This persists for several weeks until the site administrator closes the discussion thread

Offseason - After coming to face reality that Graham Clark is still your head coach, you graciously give him a forum via this message board on how to avoid another embarrassment in the postseason

Summer Workouts - Cycle repeats and continues

And that pretty much sums up the existence of a DB football fan. So tell me, who really needs to "get a life"? Cling to your 13 "state titles" if it help you sleep at night. I'll be with the rest of humanity that doesn't need a high school football team to validate our existence.

Edited by voltnh

It sure is easy to get you DB people upset. I guess whenever I want to see you guys get hysterical, I'll come back and remind you that you haven't won...well, haven't had anything given to you SINCE 1964. But alas, I have more important tasks to tend to.

I was watching the 98 Fiesta Bowl and was wanting a TN victory as much as the next vol fan, but that doesn't change my belief that the system is fundamentally flawed. And if my thinking is so wrong, why will we have a playoff in 2014 when thought of such was laughable a few short years ago.

And lastly, you DB folks need to relax. I present you with indisputable facts and a logical opinion, and you react as if someone is ripping your heart from your chest. And you have the audacity to tell me to get a life when you and your brethren cling to this board and follow the same script every year.

Summer Workouts - "DB has a lot of returning starters, going to be the year in DB history"

Practice starts/Jamboree - "Going to be the best year in DB history, finally going to bring the gold ball to kingsport"

Regular Season - Redundant self praise of beating hapless NE TN teams in a weak conference

Round 1 of Playoffs - "This week starts our road to destiny and finally bringing that gold ball to kingsport"

Round 2 of Playoffs - Another early playoff exit. Repetitive calls for Graham Clark's termination and how a competent would have won it all with this much talent. This persists for several weeks until the site administrator closes the discussion thread

Offseason - After coming to face reality that Graham Clark is still your head coach, you graciously give him a forum via this message board on how to avoid another embarrassment in the postseason

And that pretty much sums up the existence of a DB football fan. So tell me, who really needs to "get a life"? Cling to your 13 "state titles" if it help you sleep at night. I'll be with the rest of humanity that doesn't need a high school football to validate our existence.

Can't wait to see the reply on that one. OUCH lol popcorneater.gif

Summer Workouts - "DB has a lot of returning starters, going to be the year in DB history"

Round 2 of Playoffs - Another early playoff exit. Repetitive calls for Graham Clark's termination and how a competent would have won it all with this much talent. This persists for several weeks until the site administrator closes the discussion thread

And that pretty much sums up the existence of a DB football fan. So tell me, who really needs to "get a life"? Cling to your 13 "state titles" if it help you sleep at night. I'll be with the rest of humanity that doesn't need a high school football to validate our existence.

This is all pretty funny coming from a Science Hill fan. For every quote you manipulate into what only a few fans might actually say, remember there is a majority of DB fans that know DB is not perfect and that playoffs are a problem for every team in upper TN when faced with teams from Knoxville or West. The only exception has been Greeneville of late. I don't care if South gets to the 3rd round, because once they get to Knoxville and past, the fall. It is unfortunate that DB and Science Hill meet these teams that are more West bound in the 1st round often.

So anyways, got off the subject. Voltnh, for every DB fan that you tried to quote ( a minority of DB fans) you Science Hill fans have to own up to the fact that all we heard about on here when your last coach came from middle TN is that Science Hill will win state, it is just a matter of time because coach from middle TN and all his fancy offense was just too much for East TN team to handle. It ever happened. In fact I thin he was worse then the coach before. Now with Carter we hear the same thing. Science Hill got beat so bad at Science Hill by DB last year it was funny. So you claim a few DB fans talk, don't forget all the poop coming from Science Hill even claims about how they will win state. Also, Science Hill has a good 500 kids more then DB. It is hard to knock DB when your own program has not beaten DB in what like almost 20 years?

This is all pretty funny coming from a Science Hill fan. For every quote you manipulate into what only a few fans might actually say, remember there is a majority of DB fans that know DB is not perfect and that playoffs are a problem for every team in upper TN when faced with teams from Knoxville or West. The only exception has been Greeneville of late. I don't care if South gets to the 3rd round, because once they get to Knoxville and past, the fall. It is unfortunate that DB and Science Hill meet these teams that are more West bound in the 1st round often.

So anyways, got off the subject. Voltnh, for every DB fan that you tried to quote ( a minority of DB fans) you Science Hill fans have to own up to the fact that all we heard about on here when your last coach came from middle TN is that Science Hill will win state, it is just a matter of time because coach from middle TN and all his fancy offense was just too much for East TN team to handle. It ever happened. In fact I thin he was worse then the coach before. Now with Carter we hear the same thing. Science Hill got beat so bad at Science Hill by DB last year it was funny. So you claim a few DB fans talk, don't forget all the poop coming from Science Hill even claims about how they will win state. Also, Science Hill has a good 500 kids more then DB. It is hard to knock DB when your own program has not beaten DB in what like almost 20 years?

1. The streak isn't up to twenty years, not yet anyway. No matter how long it lasts, it'll end....eventually. And yes, last year's game was laughable.
  2. In the 20 years I've been involved with Science Hill as a student and supporter, I have never heard anyone claim we were going to win a state title in football, especially when a new coach was brought in. There was some excitement when Scott Smith was brought in, in part because he was an unknown. That lasted all of 4 weeks into his first season. Judgement on Stacy Carter hasn't been determined. Even Smith had a 7-3 season during his tenure. Carter's progress will be judged in part by producing consistent improvement and results over several seasons. And still, we're not talking state titles. Science Hill people are realists and we fully understand the environment we are in. We also understand that this is High School football and there are more important things students are involved in.

3. That being said, there is no reason why both SH and DB shouldn't go into week 10 9-0, especially given the fact that Science Hill is the largest school in the state and when you take into account Science Hill's success in every other athletic program.

4. You may think my quotes came from 1 or 2 fans, but sadly, that is not the case. I do business in Kingsport regularly, work with DB graduates, and have many family members that work at Eastman. I hear these phrases and similar one several times at any point throughout the year. It still may be a minority, but it is more prevalent than you'd like to admit.

Edited by voltnh

1. The streak isn't up to twenty years, not yet anyway. No matter how long it lasts, it'll end....eventually. And yes, last year's game was laughable.
  2. In the 20 years I've been involved with Science Hill as a student and supporter, I have never heard anyone claim we were going to win a state title in football, especially when a new coach was brought in. There was some excitement when Scott Smith was brought in, in part because he was an unknown. That lasted all of 4 weeks into his first season. Judgement on Stacy Carter hasn't been determined. Even Smith had a 7-3 season during his tenure. Carter's progress will be judged in part by producing consistent improvement and results over several seasons. And still, we're not talking state titles. Science Hill people are realists and we fully understand the environment we are in. We also understand that this is High School football and there are more important things students are involved in.

3. That being said, there is no reason why both SH and DB shouldn't go into week 10 9-0, especially given the fact that Science Hill is the largest school in the state and when you take into account Science Hill's success in every other athletic program.

4. You may think my quotes came from 1 or 2 fans, but sadly, that is not the case. I do business in Kingsport regularly, work with DB graduates, and have many family members that work at Eastman. I hear these phrases and similar one several times at any point throughout the year. It still may be a minority, but it is more prevalent than you'd like to admit.

I agree with almost everything. I know you work with DB fans so you get some opinions you don't want to hear. And as fans of different schools we are both going to say that WE have NEVER heard our own fans say anything that might be saying too much. But I remember very well that when Scott Smith came to Science Hill, with their student body size and talent pool, they would not only beat DB, but get a title. It was said on here and other places because I remember it well. That being said, I can understand some of what you have heard from DB fans. The truth is, schools around here have a problem getting past schools Knoxville and west. Now some schools don't meet a Knoxville team until 3rd or 4th round. But the big schools like Science Hill and DB meet them in the 1st round often. And if you compare schools from our area against schools from Knoxville and west, you will be shocked. Greeneville has been an exception of late.

I agree with almost everything. I know you work with DB fans so you get some opinions you don't want to hear. And as fans of different schools we are both going to say that WE have NEVER heard our own fans say anything that might be saying too much. But I remember very well that when Scott Smith came to Science Hill, with their student body size and talent pool, they would not only beat DB, but get a title. It was said on here and other places because I remember it well. That being said, I can understand some of what you have heard from DB fans. The truth is, schools around here have a problem getting past schools Knoxville and west. Now some schools don't meet a Knoxville team until 3rd or 4th round. But the big schools like Science Hill and DB meet them in the 1st round often. And if you compare schools from our area against schools from Knoxville and west, you will be shocked. Greeneville has been an exception of late.

Right, when Smith was hired, he said he was going to beat the big 3, Elizabethton, TN High, and DB. He also said the ultimate goal was to win a title, what coach doesn't say that. Any rational person knew that a title was and still is a heck of a long way off, especially knowing what is waiting for any NE TN team west of Knoxville. Truth is, if it weren't for the hype that DB people build going into the postseason, no one would say anything about their early playoff exits. As you pointed out, once a NE TN faces an opponent from Knoxville or west thereof, season's over in most cases no matter what round of the playoffs we're in.

Right, when Smith was hired, he said he was going to beat the big 3, Elizabethton, TN High, and DB. He also said the ultimate goal was to win a title, what coach doesn't say that. Any rational person knew that a title was and still is a heck of a long way off, especially knowing what is waiting for any NE TN team west of Knoxville. Truth is, if it weren't for the hype that DB people build going into the postseason, no one would say anything about their early playoff exits. As you pointed out, once a NE TN faces an opponent from Knoxville or west thereof, season's over in most cases no matter what round of the playoffs we're in.

See that is just it. Your, truth is part. Everyone I know, including the people on here always hate being ranked too high, and always know that a 1st or 2nd round game is going to be a team that is much tougher then a local conference team. It is the media who rates DB too high. I have been around the QB club and all the people who actually invest money or time and nobody "hypes" DB as you say. Even if we have the best team in years, like this year, most are quite because they don't want to have it shoved back in their face if they lose. The truth is, you hear DB fans say they will have a pretty good team and you inflate that to (DB thinks they will win state) and you love it if DB gets knocked out in the 2nd round. I have been around DB football my whole life and this year especially (since people are so sensitive to the fact that there might be a let down) people are being low key. So you are dreaming it buddy. You want DB to think they are #1 so if they lose early you can say I told you so. It just is not true, because I am in, among, and around these people all the time.