South Pittsburg Football 2013

GCPioneer

The stage was set in the mid eighties. I was a member of the two State Runner-Up teams in 85 and 86.

I believe the stage was set in 1924 not the eighties. If they would have had the play-off format in earlier years that they had in the eighties they would be a lot more than 5 state championships. If memory serves me right they did have a state championship team in 69 also the 64 team would have caked walked to the state championship. They beat the the number 2 team in the state in all classes in the Civitan Bowl at Cookville.

• Upvote 1

I'm waiting to hear the final verdict. Stone at NJ? Wow that's a shocker to me. Just don't see him going over the border but crazier thing's have happened. I hope he doesn't bc he is a true Pirate as well as all his family. I'd sure hate to lose them. As many of you SP know we lost a good family that was true Pirates years ago and now there wearing two other school colors.. I really hate that but I guess it's like the business world,what can you do for me now? Guess we'll all see.

Well it doesn't get any closer to a source than me..Yes it is just part of the business. You cant blame him if the opportunity arises though. Nobody has put the heart and time in on all levels that he has for SP. If your a competitor like him and desire to run your own program then it's a no brainer. He has built Something special with Baseball @ SP but Football is his bread and butter. With Jake now gone and the others still young enough the timing couldnt be better. I've stayed silent through all of this out of respect but he will go if he gets a chance and he would be absolutely crazy if he didnt.

Edited by TonyHorton91281

I believe the stage was set in 1924 not the eighties. If they would have had the play-off format in earlier years that they had in the eighties they would be a lot more than 5 state championships. If memory serves me right they did have a state championship team in 69 also the 64 team would have caked walked to the state championship. They beat the the number 2 team in the state in all classes in the Civitan Bowl at Cookville.

That team in the Civitan Bowl was the school with the highest or 2nd highest enrollment in the state that year. Don't forget the 74 team that lost to Brentwood Academy or the 1977 team that lost to Alcoa in the semi finals. Those teams in the 70s could block and tackle.

Edit: Also, in '69 through '72, only 4 teams made the playoffs in each classification. 8 teams made the playoffs in 74 and 77 only 16 teams from A, AA, AAA made the playoffs. If 16 teams were picked maybe even 8, the 70, 71 and 72 teams would have made the playoffs.

Edited by rlh

That team in the Civitan Bowl was the school with the highest or 2nd highest enrollment in the state that year. Don't forget the 74 team that lost to Brentwood Academy or the 1977 team that lost to Alcoa in the semi finals. Those teams in the 70s could block and tackle.

Edit: Also, in '69 through '72, only 4 teams made the playoffs in each classification. 8 teams made the playoffs in 74 and 77 only 16 teams from A, AA, AAA made the playoffs. If 16 teams were picked maybe even 8, the 70, 71 and 72 teams would have made the playoffs.

Good post that shows how watered down the system is today. It is all about $ for TSSAA. Today's coaches have a far better chance to win state championships in futeball than earlier teams. Team accomplishments get padded more easily as a result of the current system.

The 1970 team lost by two to Sweetwater when Kippy Brown and Anthony Oggs played. SP had over 400 yds rushing in that game and held Sweetwater to 150 yds. They lost only that game that year and Sweetwater went on and played in the Championship game. I personally think the 1970 team was one of the best to ever wear the Orange and Black

The 1970 team lost by two to Sweetwater when Kippy Brown and Anthony Oggs played. SP had over 400 yds rushing in that game and held Sweetwater to 150 yds. They lost only that game that year and Sweetwater went on and played in the Championship game. I personally think the 1970 team was one of the best to ever wear the Orange and Black

You could be right about 1970. The 1998 team was in the same boat. Came up short, but was one of the best ever at SP.

Old Pirate, you seem like a person who has good insight - you think Roy Dillard would consider coming to Smith County to take Coach Maynords place? He would be able to bring several assistants with him. I'm sure he would bring some of the CoachT buddies to help him coach. Lot of places to buy Red Bull and Fudge Rounds in this area.

Ole Roy would sure draw a huge crowd for his post game show! LOPAO........

That era teams would whip the stiffness out of the jocks of these today. Old Pirate says given today's format Don Grider would have a coaching record that would rival the Bear! Edited by OLD PIRATE

You talking about the SP team that beat Powell in the Civitan Bowl in '63?

+1