It's Time to Separate the Public and Private Schools

@38320

3 or 7 doesn't really matter my friend, either way it's not a level playing field when privates can go to any county and get players and when public has to play with who lives in there own county!

The public school doesn't have to play with the ones in the county. Anderson County has for years had players from Knox County, Campbell County and probably Scott and Union . It's perfectly legal they just have to provide their own transportation. It's the state law. If the adjoining county had a great football program and my county school struggled, I would definitely send my son if he had the potential to play at the next level.

The public school doesn't have to play with the ones in the county. Anderson County has for years had players from Knox County, Campbell County and probably Scott and Union . It's perfectly legal they just have to provide their own transportation. It's the state law. If the adjoining county had a great football program and my county school struggled, I would definitely send my son if he had the potential to play at the next level.

The public schools in Chattanooga/Hamilton County do not have open zones.  It is virtually impossible for one of the 18 high schools in the district to build a football program to compete at the state level with the privates and open zone public schools.

There is no state law that says any student in Tennessee can attend any public school of their choosing.  School zoning regulations are controlled by the local school boards, and it is not practical for the Hamilton County Department of Education to allow open zones.

The public schools in Chattanooga/Hamilton County do not have open zones.  It is virtually impossible for one of the 18 high schools in the district to build a football program to compete at the state level with the privates and open zone public schools.

There is no state law that says any student in Tennessee can attend any public school of their choosing.  School zoning regulations are controlled by the local school boards, and it is not practical for the Hamilton County Department of Education to allow open zones.

That applies more to local school systems (except for Memphis LOL). The same thing applies in Knox County due to local school zone policy but there a several ways to circumvent the system. They can attend any county school of their choice. The larger metro areas are covered by local guidelines.

That applies more to local school systems (except for Memphis LOL). The same thing applies in Knox County due to local school zone policy but there a several ways to circumvent the system. They can attend any county school of their choice. The larger metro areas are covered by local guidelines.

That Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way) don't take kindly to public schools "circumventing" the zoning rules; but, he don't seem to have a problem with private schools "circumventing" the financial aide rules.  cavitysearch-smiley.gif

That Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way) don't take kindly to public schools "circumventing" the zoning rules; but, he don't seem to have a problem with private schools "circumventing" the financial aide rules.  cavitysearch-smiley.gif

To clarify: In Knox County you can chose to attend a school outside of your specific school zone if another school offers academic choices that are not available at your school. For example a basketball player that was zoned for Bearden attended Farragut since they had courses that were not offered at Bearden. But, you never actually have to take those classes, you just WANT the option to take them....

To clarify: In Knox County you can chose to attend a school outside of your specific school zone if another school offers academic choices that are not available at your school. For example a basketball player that was zoned for Bearden attended Farragut since they had courses that were not offered at Bearden. But, you never actually have to take those classes, you just WANT the option to take them....

Wow! Interesting.....

Yes. Id like to see how many that go that route just happen to get their name in the paper for sports instead of the "option" they may or may not take.

Yes. Id like to see how many that go that route just happen to get their name in the paper for sports instead of the "option" they may or may not take.

Pretty sure the class he wanted the option to take was either German or Russian. Didn't take it however. The parent was informed of this loophole and took advantage of the opportunity. Kid wasn't a superstar (only started 1 or 2 years) but didn't want to play at Bearden so he took this alternative route thus circumventing the zoning rules.

That ain't how it works in Hamilton County.  A kid can petition to attend a school to take a class not offered at his school, but the school board requires the student to actually take the class and pass it.

What if the kid chooses to attend that school as an incoming freshman and the class he "wants" to take is a senior level class? How would they handle that?