TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

Great article and shows why there should be a split.  All everyone worries about is Basketball and Football and in reality the privates dominate the minor sports.  The publics just get so uproared about FB and BB.  Watch the A-AA spring sports and see the vast majority of private school participants.  No one is saying that they are all recruited, but it is apples to bowling balls comparing the advantages that the privates have.

the article didnt mention it, but in the Class A-AA 2013 girls soccer tournament, 6 of the 8 teams were private schools, so add that to the list mentioned and i am sure there are others not mentioned as well.

:popcorneater: love me some drama, but we want a trophy is what youre really trying to say :popcorneater:  why get better when you can blame it on something, gotcha gotcha :popcorneater:

One question.....was your 14 kids that played both sides of the ball the same as our 14 kids year in and year out? What I mean is, were they local, small town kids that, for the most part, had been a part of that school system for 9, 10, 11 years? "Homeboys"?

Yes, the balance of those kids who played on that team went to school there from grade school on up as did most of the kids on this past years team. 

I say split then let the real recruiting begin. You think those public school coaches are mad right now just wait until their super star gets a little financial aid and mom and pops jump public school ship to send him to a school with college prep classes and notabilty so super star can get that D1 offer they been dreaming of.

Edited by TheDrDre

I say split then let the real recruiting begin. You think those public school coaches are mad right now just wait until their super star gets a little financial aid and mom and pops jump public school ship to send him to a school with college prep classes and notabilty so super star can get that D1 offer they been dreaming of.

The schools you guys want to "compete" with have precious few athletes you want. Nobody is gullible enough to think that those schools are not already doing as much as they are willing to do in recruiting.

the article didnt mention it, but in the Class A-AA 2013 girls soccer tournament, 6 of the 8 teams were private schools, so add that to the list mentioned and i am sure there are others not mentioned as well.

That is correct.  In A/AA girls soccer, for the previous 5 years, including the 2013-14 school year, there have been 40 state tournament slots.  22 have gone to private schools and 18 to public schools.  

Something that is often overlooked is the breakdown between A and AA schools in sports where the two are combined to form A/AA.  Keep in mind, in football, this would be four different classes.  In those same 5 years, the breakdown between A and AA schools is 36 AA and 4 A.

Boys soccer is similar over the past four years:  32 slots, 14 private, 18 public.  29 AA, 3 A.

I'm going to be releasing a study in the next week to 10 days on the state tournament and championship breakdown between private/puiblic, combined classes breakdowns, and rural/metro across all sports in TSSAA over the last five years.

Should be interesting.

Well then maybe we can't really fault him for his team building strategies, sounds like they are well ingrained.

why do we keep placing Lewis County with CPA, they are no longer in District together. It's obvious that CPA had nothing to do with their 15-11 record this year, they and the rest of the district cried last year and had them removed to our district 12aa. cry all you want about a split, not going to happen. Man up and play the best. To be the best you have to play the best. I would think if CPA would have been in your District, and given you some comp, someone would have made a better run to state, overall very weak district without CPA. Play the game, what matters is after high school. If you are not tested at the highest levels, in all aspects of life, your effectiveness will be capped at that level.

You want more funding?  Talk to your state representatives and local politicians who can put pressure on the department of education.  Funding for education is cut every year so school systems have to cut corners or fire teachers.  This has nothing to do with privates controlling the TSSAA with funds.  I teach at a public school and my kids attend a private school.  Nothing is given at the private school.  Unlike most public schools, you do have more parents involved and there are some well-to-do parents who would rather donate money then do fundraising. At the same time privates can't operate with out donations or boosters who will donate large amounts of money to keep the school open.  It has nothing to with the athletics that seems to be the focus here. It also sounds like the only ones  complaining are the schools who lose to the CPA's, Goodpastures, Ensworths etc.  They need to re-classify the TSSAA so that everyone can get a trophy since a certain few on here can have titles given to them and not put in the work and develop their programs.  We need a private school division, an open enrollment division, an urban division, a rural division, a division for schools who've never had a D-1 athlete, a division for schools who've never had a player sign a college scholarship, a division for schools who've never won a district title. etc etc.  When will it end?  I hope they do split so you guys find something else to complain about.  Jeez.

i like what you are saying!!!

Our little 'ole public school already has duel enrollment classes, a 97% graduation rate, and 94% of those graduates enroll in college (some just a few hours shy of a college credit or two behind them). The nearest private is 40 miles away (two of them in our district), and If little Johnny is recruited away, at least we won't have to face him and the rest of their all stars to advance. One of the two privates in our district just decided to move back to DI after actively recruiting student athletes and offering scholarships for four years...how is that for fair?

We already have TOO many divisions, too many state champions, etc. Too much complaining. To be the best, you must beat the best. We always had to play Memphis White Station in the boys state tourney. Yes, Memphis plays a different kind of ball and play tough games all year. But instead of of complaining about being unfair, we simply tried to get better and the goal was to beat them. We play Baylor and McAllie every year. Never do I remember thinking we might lose because they recruited players. Some of you are wanting to use the same concept in sports as obviously is not working in education----No Child Left Behind. Not EVERYONE nor EVERY team deserves to be champion. I am not for yet another split and classification. We already have FIVE state champions in basketball. How many state champs do Indiana and KY have??

:popcorneater: love me some drama, but we want a trophy is what youre really trying to say :popcorneater:  why get better when you can blame it on something, gotcha gotcha :popcorneater:

Is that what you meant when you said that you were for the split as long as it was done fairly? Didn't you mean that you didn't want to have to contend with Webb or Ensworth for the chance to win a title? Those two schools have a student population of around 450 (one 429, the other 459 if I remember correctly), and would probably be placed in the same classification as Boyd if the split ever happens... that make you uncomfortable? You reply to one post with the concerns above, next thing I see from you includes the above smart aleck comments implying that the publics are scared to play with the privates, and want to dodge competition to win...Get off the fence and take a position or you have absolutely no credibility.

It's so funny to hear about all these recruiting situations and I guess TSSAA just turns the old blind eye because of the money blah blah blah boooo hoooo. So is it ok for public schools to have open enrollment?? And as far as public school having dual enrollment sure they do. Its still not anywhere close to college prep schools. Please for the love of God split so mediocre people like you dont have to play these superior athletes and you can get that all mighty trophy you chase. The problem is people forgot what hard work and competition really is about and like you said everything has to be fair!! Hey lets not even keep score and all hold hands and sing songs together after the game. That way no one is better than anyone else. Hate for Little Johnnys parents to keep living thru him and see him get beat its just not fair. I wonder if Appalachian State said its not fair we have to play Michigan in football?? Oh wait the less superior athletes won that game. Get your own second rate public school league please and be satisfied with not playing the best or trying to be the best.

Edited by TheDrDre