Potential New 6 Classification Plan for 1A & 2A for 2015

riverrat

Whether there is a public/private split or not, the one thing I've never fully understood is why the D1 privates are so strongly opposed to it? It seems like they don't want to play with other private schools just as bad as the public schools. Wouldn't they be joining with schools that they have more in common with than the publics? And probably would have less regular season travel and be able to build stronger local rivalries since most are in the bigger cities.

I'm guessing finanacial aid is the main reason, but is whatever aid Davidson Acad. gives really giving it a big advantage over Goodpasture? Is whatever aid FRA & DCA provide giving them a big advantage over CPA?

It won't happen, but do the split, divide public schools into A, AA, & AAA and the privates into small & large. 5 state champs is enough for TN. That number seems to work for most of the sports now anyway and would preserve the local rivalries. Plus we wouldn't have to change playoff systems every few years.

And the publics & privates can still play each other if they want...in regular season non-region games.

Actually, they do...it's just another "statistic" that illuminates the differences between public and private schools. The 17 schools in consideration have many basic differences from all publics. The entire student body is comprised of young men and women who are supported at home, economically and morally, or they wouldn't be there...translated to athletics, it means parents support the team in a way that a small percentage of public school parents do, whether from disinterest or inability. The small 1-2 A school communities often don't have businesses or industry to contribute in substantial amounts enough to maintain team needs and facilities. You are correct that this issue isn't the focus of this thread, but it has some merit as far as illustrating the basic differences in student body and parental support.

So you want to kick out the privates just because they have supportive parents?  Digging a little bit aren't we?  

Why don't we just eliminate the post season and award every team a trophy?  You won't even have to schedule a private unless you want to or want a good gate for a home game.  Problem solved. 

So you want to kick out the privates just because they have supportive parents?  Digging a little bit aren't we?  

Why don't we just eliminate the post season and award every team a trophy?  You won't even have to schedule a private unless you want to or want a good gate for a home game.  Problem solved. 

Parental support means a ton, we had 1 projected starting lineman at weight training today. Its hit and miss with tons of kids in the public schools. I'm sure all of yours  are pretty much at every function. Its just 2 different worlds. That's why you can have an enrollment with half the kids of a public school and still be better.

The sad part is, we have the kids to field a strong team. Its very frustrating to the Coaches and the other hard working dedicated kids on the team.Dedication and commitment is not very well understood by at least half our kids.If we had mama,s and daddies that made sure the kids were there and working like our dedicated kids, we could be MUUUUCCCCHHHH BETTER.

Edited by pujo

It amazes me how people think all private school kids are wealthy. I spent the afternoon watching TCA play at the Union University Basketball team camp. Most of our players worked out this morning for Football then played 3 basketball games. That's how it is when you only have 60 kids in a class. The interesting thing is that due to this thread I paid close attention to our kids and their families. Yes, the majority of our kids parents are still together and that's a huge plus over public schools. The most ineresting fact is that over half of our kids and their families are struggling to keep their kids at TCA due to finances. Both parents work and some even work two and three jobs. They are making huge sacrifices to make sure their kids can stay. I know JCS has similar situations. Maybe it's not that way at CPA, I don't know, but the perception that private school families are so much better off is a myth. I'm a public school graduate and have no issues with public schools. In a school like TCA, the athletic talent goes in a cycle. When we have a down year, it's a serious down year. When Liberty Tech in Jackson has a down year they are still very competitive and usually win more than they lose. In a city the size of Jackson it's very difficult to be dominant year after year as a private school. In reality, most private schools don't do very well against public schools in athletics. Only about 20% are successful against publics. Yes, those 20% are what cause all of the noise and that's unfortunate for the remaining privates. One of the biggest mistakes the TSSAA could make is splitting the publics and privates. The most sensible fix is to hire 3 compliance officers to police the issues of recruiting, etc. if this was done then no one should have a concern that xyz private is recruiting, etc.

It amazes me how people think all private school kids are wealthy. I spent the afternoon watching TCA play at the Union University Basketball team camp. Most of our players worked out this morning for Football then played 3 basketball games. That's how it is when you only have 60 kids in a class. The interesting thing is that due to this thread I paid close attention to our kids and their families. Yes, the majority of our kids parents are still together and that's a huge plus over public schools. The most ineresting fact is that over half of our kids and their families are struggling to keep their kids at TCA due to finances. Both parents work and some even work two and three jobs. They are making huge sacrifices to make sure their kids can stay. I know JCS has similar situations. Maybe it's not that way at CPA, I don't know, but the perception that private school families are so much better off is a myth. I'm a public school graduate and have no issues with public schools. In a school like TCA, the athletic talent goes in a cycle. When we have a down year, it's a serious down year. When Liberty Tech in Jackson has a down year they are still very competitive and usually win more than they lose. In a city the size of Jackson it's very difficult to be dominant year after year as a private school. In reality, most private schools don't do very well against public schools in athletics. Only about 20% are successful against publics. Yes, those 20% are what cause all of the noise and that's unfortunate for the remaining privates. One of the biggest mistakes the TSSAA could make is splitting the publics and privates. The most sensible fix is to hire 3 compliance officers to police the issues of recruiting, etc. if this was done then no one should have a concern that xyz private is recruiting, etc.

It's not that the parents are rich...the fact that some are over extending themselves for their kids to be at TCA speaks for it's self. Involvement and interest was the focal point...not that that's even part of the issue of splitting...just pointing out how different the two really are.

It's not that the parents are rich...the fact that some are over extending themselves for their kids to be at TCA speaks for it's self. Involvement and interest was the focal point...not that that's even part of the issue of splitting...just pointing out how different the two really are.

I agree with you on the involvement, it's not the facilities that make kids better it's parents that take the time to make sure that their kids are at workouts and putting in extra work on their own when there's no scheduled workouts. I have spent countless hours with my sons lifting weights and running year round and it makes all the difference in the world.

Why would it be a mistake? What's the downside? Serious question.

Here is the downside? If they split the privates will leave TSSAA and form their own organization. When this happens the recruiting war will be on and the publics will be drained. Lots of public studs will be playing with the privates. The second issue would be the financial drain. TSSAA would be hurt financially and we all know money talks.

Here is the downside? If they split the privates will leave TSSAA and form their own organization. When this happens the recruiting war will be on and the publics will be drained. Lots of public studs will be playing with the privates. The second issue would be the financial drain. TSSAA would be hurt financially and we all know money talks.

Some responses to your points:

1. Are you sure the privates will form a new organization? What would be in it for them? What would be the advantage?

2. Why would public kids suddenly be more interested in going to privates? Many of them are interested now. How would this split make them even more interested?

3. Generally, the TSSAA is a hated institution. Why would hurting them financially be a problem? If money talks, then TSSAA would do less talking. Isn't that a good thing?

I agree with you on the involvement, it's not the facilities that make kids better it's parents that take the time to make sure that their kids are at workouts and putting in extra work on their own when there's no scheduled workouts. I have spent countless hours with my sons lifting weights and running year round and it makes all the difference in the world.

Yep ,its like the Marines,the few ,the proud. I'd say all the small schools have a few who go the extra mile,but they usually have alot more slackers. Its a proven fact that hard work will make a coward out of  most kids.My favorite sign in our weightroon says, winners make a habit of doing things that losers don't like to do. I've been around this for 25 years at one small schools or another, I've yet to see a dedicated TEAM.