2014 Class 4A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

Wilson Cates was definitely better than Connor York, IMHO.

Wilson Cates had a better team around him each year he played yet did not come close to the numbers York had. That is my reasoning say York was ahead. Seen each player many times. Both could run but York was a little faster, and had a better arm. You don't put up 128 career td's on a traditional below .500 team like UH unless you can play ball. Seen York at the Tennessee AllStar game play WR for the firt time ever. Caught 3 passes, blocked a punt, and threw a td on a reverse against the some of top talent in the state. The kid can play. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

This was just posted on MurphyFair.com

What do you all think? This is the first poll where I believe that the coaches are actually a little bit off. Don't get me wrong, I have all the respect for Fulton in the world and I understand the practice of voting the defending champions #1 until someone knocks them off. However, I just think that the Falcons lost too much talent to be voted in the top spot, especially considering how loaded some of the teams in 4A are going to be this year.

If I had a ballot to cast, I would have probably put Catholic at #1. They have a TON of talent coming back and I expect them to be very strong. I know that Greeneville will be good again, but I'm not sure how much they lost from last year. Sullivan South and Pearl Cohn are way too low in this poll, and where in the world is Elizabethton?

Here's the poll:

1. Fulton

2. Greeneville

3. Giles County

4. Knoxville Catholic

5. Trezevant

6. Liberty (tie)

6. Signal Mountain (tie)

8. Sullivan South

9. Dyersburg (tie)

9. Pearl Cohn (tie) 

Them Norf Memphis Dudes will be giving some team from East Tenn the Blues come December. Solid Coaching and Hungry, Tough Kids equal a deep Playoff run!  :popcorneater:

sorry guys, the Gold Ball goes to the Sullivan South Rebels in 2014. Remember you saw it here first. This will be the first team from the Tri-cities since something like 1971 to win the state title. Yes, I know that Fulton, Catholic, Greenville, Elizabethton will all be in South's way, but mark it down, there will be 2 Rebels with the Gold (the other of course being the Maryville Rebels in 6A)The real question is, who will South play in Cookeville? I am going to guess ....... drumroll. ...... Giles County

I saw Sullivan South last year and I wasn't impressed. Even with the injuries that Catholic had last year they still would have beaten you guys if they met up in the playoffs. Seriously, other then Betsy who did you play? And y'all lost that game. I mean Betsy barely defeated Scott County (the Highlanders finished next to last in district 4-A) and Catholic beat the Highlanders 35-2 with a freshman back up QB. Strength of schedule and quality of an opponent helps. To beat Unicoi Co and say how great you are is like UT football beating Montana and saying we are national champs. That was last year and this a new year. All the should have could haves are out the window. Time to strap it on and knock heads. The Irish are finally healthy and they have speed on defense and talent with their skilled players. Good luck to Sullivan South this year, I'm sure you guys will see Catholic in the playoffs. Edited by QSouth89

I saw Sullivan South last year and I wasn't impressed. Even with the injuries that Catholic had last year they still would have beaten you guys if they met up in the playoffs. Seriously, other then Betsy who did you play? And y'all lost that game. I mean Betsy barely defeated Scott County (the Highlanders finished next to last in district 4-A) and Catholic beat the Highlanders 35-2 with a freshman back up QB. Strength of schedule and quality of an opponent helps. To beat Unicoi Co and say how great you are is like UT football beating Montana and saying we are national champs. That was last year and this a new year. All the should have could haves are out the window. Time to strap it on and knock heads. The Irish are finally healthy and they have speed on defense and talent with their skilled players. Good luck to Sullivan South this year, I'm sure you guys will see Catholic in the playoffs.

Very curious as to when you took the time to go see South play last year. Scheduling is what it is. Play all the district games and then try to schedule some rivalry games that will fill the stands as much as possible to fund a low budget county operation. Three 5A teams and a traditional state power from Virginia fill that role for our first 2 years in 4A. I know you never heard any of us say anything about Unicoi - 2nd and 3rd sting was playing in the second quarter there. No one wins a game like that but it must be played...

I really like 4A this year, at least 12-15 teams that could make a run at the gold ball. I like Pearl-Cohn, but saying they are at least top 6 maybe a stretch, at this point. Knoxville Catholic, Giles Co., Fulton, Greeneville are better than Pearl at this point, IMO. However, as along as Vaughn stays healthy, they have as good of a chance as any to advance deep into the playoffs

That's a laugher Pearl is a top 5 team in 4A and will prove that we are. We don't need nothing given to us so thanks coaches 4 ranking us last yall will eat them words.

Very curious as to when you took the time to go see South play last year. Scheduling is what it is. Play all the district games and then try to schedule some rivalry games that will fill the stands as much as possible to fund a low budget county operation. Three 5A teams and a traditional state power from Virginia fill that role for our first 2 years in 4A. I know you never heard any of us say anything about Unicoi - 2nd and 3rd sting was playing in the second quarter there. No one wins a game like that but it must be played...

Saw them at Fulton sir

Greenville, South, Fulton,Catholic will all be in the mix on east side of 4a. But mark my words, LA Livingstone Acd will be a player in 4a and might upset one of these 4 in playoffs. LA always has a big OL and DL. They have 2 wr that are 6'3. 210 Hollars (Murphy Fair d-1a prospect) and 6'5 220 Eldridge (Murphy Fair d-1aa prospect) and both could be all state. Hollars was injured all of 2013. Linder at running back 5'11,200 4.48 speed. Linder also was out all of 2013. TE/DE Blodge 6'2 220 is a good ball player along with LB Flatt 5'11 215. In the line they have returning starters Long 6-0 260,Masters 6'1 235,Ramsey 6'2 235,Parrish 6'1 260,and McDonald 6'1 265. They return 18 of 22 starters from 2013 plus two that were out.

Wish you had let them find out the hard way about LA!! Looking forward to an exciting season but I'm afraid our weak schedule will hurt come playoff time. Don't think we have the speed to contain Fulton.

Fulton will be there. Greeneville will make some racket. Catholic should be in the hunt. Troll says them fellers on that little hill are gonna be good. I think LA could make some gains this year. Marshall County will make strides. And don't count out Boski & his boys.

I'm liking Trezevant in the West. I watched the fiasco against the Devils a few years back but the team that came to Giles last year displayed a class act. Dyersburg should be a factor. Unless Pearl can toss the rock a bit and nail down a little D & D (defense & discipline) they ain't a going to the dance. Liberty will be the same ole tune. What the heck happened to Boliver's program?

Everyone on Giles schedule will be better this year with 8 out of 10 of them going to the playoffs last year. Again by week 7 or so the new pieces will have settled in against tough competition. With our schedule I'm a thinking we'll have to hit the road again like last year come play-off time. But Giles travels well and adding up numbers on the Visitors side of the scoreboard fits to our liking! The question is where will we be slotted? East or West? Either one we'll bring our small & slow fellers right at ya with attitude!..... :ugeek:

Yeah ..don't count out my Panthers! ..they got something to prove this year!

PC we see you ..LA ..CPA we see you guys to ...we worry about the east and west teams later.. :thumb:

Very Good Doc - agree with almost all that you posted ... being a Fulton Fan .. have a little different opinion .. I think defensively Falcons will be good and may be even better than last year. I watched Fulton play alot of games last year ..on defense they played 11 new 2nd team players on defense in the 1st Qtr and 1st half  of alot of games .. they may be better at LB and they have a couple DB's to replace what they lost .. they play 3-4 and return 2 of the 3 front guys and have some good prospects to play that other DE .. now OL is where they really took a hit .. what they can accomplish there may be the key to whole season ... offensively wont have the big hitters like last year although they have some kids who are close to being what they had last year ... pretty close ... alot of play makers on offense .. getting the ball to the right guys from the new QB will be key .. new QB is a heady kid ..not a running threat but if he can just manage the offense then they have the guys at WR and RB to be effective .. will have to have more consistent drives this year.

ON Sullivan South - they are very impressive and when Rollins went out with injury in 1st Qtr last year it took alot out of Falcons .. and it took some big plays from Fultons WR to get them past them. So they will be a team to contend with for sure.

Catholic will be very good IMO ... they will be well coached and have alot of very good players .. some kids from other areas that are very good and have alot returning.

Greeneville while big was not very physical ... Fulton pushed them around pretty easy . so will have to see if those guys get any more physical before I think they will contend ..they will be good and then will see what they have come playoffs .. but I would say that they will be good again. They lost some good players like the Falcons .. but Fulton handled them pretty easy even without one of their big play guys in Rollins- Davis .

IMO opinion  .. this will be a battle this year .. no team stands head and shoulders above the other ..

TadVols I agree you guys pushed the devils around the last two years. It's very similar to when the Devils pushed your bunch around the previous two years before that. Your up front people were young while the Devils were a upper classman team that has flipped these last two years. Your bunch was the upper classman while the Devils were starting sophomores and 1 Junior on the line.