2014 Class 6A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

Hville has a long way to go before we start thinking about anything other than 9-AAA. We have improved our talent but not to the Oakland-Blackman-Whitehaven-Maryville level. Still a blue collar team who has to bring it every Friday night to be successful. Lots of question marks heading into the season especially on D and in a couple of spots on O. Saw some good things at practice today but also saw a lot of opportunities for improvement. Must be more physical when the pads go on next week as there are a lot of good teams and players in 9-AAA who will be ready for us.

Let me educate you just a bit. In the late 90's there was a different site that had a message board. I was posting over there for a few years and this exact same topic of the wing-t winning state championships came up. I looked it up and found that there were no state titles won at the highest level in Tennessee by running the wing-t. Other posters talked about other states and of course Cleveland in 4-A but none could argue that nobody had done it in 5-A or 3-A when those were the top classes. I got turned on to this website in the early 2000's by a Blackman Blaze fan, who no longer posts anymore. Every year this topic comes up and it's the same ole same ole, Cleveland or Georgia or what if Riverdale or what if Maryville or what if whomever. It doesn't matter. For the last 16 or so years this topic comes up I state the FACT that it hasn't been done and every year since I have been correct. So say what you want too but the fact remains the same! Maybe one day somebody will do it. I would think Roger Perry, Hatfield and Adelote would be prime candidates to do it because they are some of the best. Hendersonville has the talent to do it this year. But I will bet against them if they make it. Prove me wrong!!!

And no I do not like the Commandos.

THE Gospel...   :idea:

I can't see an Exclusive Wing-T team beating Whitehaven... I won't say that about anyone else in 6A. All I know is a successful Wing-T has that ONE play that gets them 4+ yards every time they run it and they can been successful when they can do things off of that ONE play... If you can STOP that ONE play, you're halfway to beating them... The only thing you have to do next is get up 14+ points and the game is over. 

I agree with GWAVE1

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Senator and KWC, how would you compare this year's DaHaven to 2012 's championship team?

Not as explosive offensively (No Mark Jr, GP or Sims, all SEC signees) but the QB play will be better (No Slight to Pat) and the core or WRs is just as good as it was 2012. The Fact that Williams is a better QB should make them dangerous offensively still just not as explosive.

Defensively they'll be solid as usually. With Elix holding down the MLB spot that should allow McMillon to do what he does best roam like a Wild Card and RUSH THE PASSER... We have a 6'2" DB who compares favorably to Sims (#5 from '12) so I think there are some comparisons that can be made but not too many.

Having the privilege to coach some of the guys from that '12 class I can honestly say they were an extremely special group. I hope these Seniors are that too! 

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Not as explosive offensively (No Mark Jr, GP or Sims, all SEC signees) but the QB play will be better (No Slight to Pat) and the core or WRs is just as good as it was 2012. The Fact that Williams is a better QB should make them dangerous offensively still just not as explosive.

Defensively they'll be solid as usually. With Elix holding down the MLB spot that should allow McMillon to do what he does best roam like a Wild Card and RUSH THE PASSER... We have a 6'2" DB who compares favorably to Sims (#5 from '12) so I think there are some comparisons that can be made but not too many.

Having the privilege to coach some of the guys from that '12 class I can honestly say they were an extremely special group. I hope these Seniors are that too! 

Name to remember, Martavious "Tae Tae" Williams. He is an absolute monster!!!  

Senator and KWC, how would you compare this year's DaHaven to 2012 's championship team?

BKisler:

That championship team was built offensively to emphasize the run game. The huge O-line with a very hard running QB along with an extroidinary SEC caliber RB. The passing game on that team was limited to the QB's accuracy because the WR's on that team were exceptional. That team could pass, but it wasn't a strong point.

This team will be a good running team with a big strong O-line and a very crafty and swift running QB. However, this years RB is good enough to play on some college campus on Saturdays, just not in the SEC. That being said, this team can and will pass more then the 2012 team because the accuracy of the QB along with the talent of the WR corp will make the passing game with this team a strong point. Loading the box against this year's team will be a costly mistake. Don't get me wrong, Whitehaven will run the ball. It's part of the Whitehaven DNA. It will be accompanied with a very strong passing game.

The defense on the 2012 team revolved around the big, deep, DL with some aggressive, pass intercepting, sure tackling DB's. The LB's on that team were pretty good at stopping the run. All of the starting DB's on the 2012 team are now playing in college today. Two of them in the SEC.

This year's defense will star a SEC caliber DE/OLB along with a SEC caliber CB anchoring one of the corners. Again, the DL is big, deep, and aggressive. The LB corp will be a point of emphasis with the return of the MLB who missed most of last season with a torn ACL. The secondary is returning a lot of starters and it will be a strong point.

The 2012 team had what it took to win it all. I think this year's team does as well. The question now becomes ... do they have the drive and leadership internally because they have the talent and the coaching.

Edited by kwc

Not one to make predictions until the pad's start popping,but on paper this team should be alot more experienced than last years team. Last year we had 1 starter returning on defense compared to 7 returners this year. On offense we return 3 linemen,and four other starters. Jordan Williams is back at QB coming off an ACL tear and what ive seen looks close to 100%. My opinion, had Jordan not sustained that injury last year we would have made a deeper run last year. 

• Upvote 1

there will never be another stud like Mark Dodson....he was the leader of that team and played his heart out...refusing to lose....what a performance....I'm picking the Blaze this season...but wouldn't be mad if DaHaven proves me wrong....

Jockrider