Week 2: Maryville at Knox West

BigDave1967

I finally got to watch the Maryville-Alcoa game and my only question is why did Alcoa game plan that way? Tyson is your offense and I know Maryville D is great and all but those first two series of offensive play calling were horrendous. Alcoa has never been a passing team and maybe they thought they could pass on Maryville, but you run the horse at that defense that set a state title game record.

Maryville still would have won but it wouldn't have been over by halftime and maybe you have some success. I just hope Cummings doesn't try to be cute and shy away from the veer on Thursday. Granted it may not work regardless but darn it you play ur style of football and not some style ur not familiar with!

Anyway sorry for the rant...as for Alcoa being better than West.. probably but I'd take our Qb over Alcoas...wasn't impressed at all

West has a very good team. I thought Alcoa was not as good as in previous years after seeing them play Maryville. So I am not so sure how good Maryville is. Their defense is certainly very good with a hole or two in the DB area. D line is pretty good, as good as any I have seen at Maryville. QB I'd give a B grade at the moment. Vaught needs some development. Last years QB threw ONE interception  all year. This QB has 3. Not saying he is bad, just saying he is not up to speed just YET. He will be though.

West has 4 All-State players returning. Nathan Cottrell of West was the District 4A Player of the Year and is a very good running back boasting a 14.5 yards per carry average coming into this year. That is exceptional. QB Marshall is pretty quick, (sub 4.5 forty) and their DB Tommy Pridemore was the Blue Cross Bowl 5A Defensive MVP. Also Alex Burch one of the All-State players has also run a sub 4.5 forty and had 8 interceptions last year. Their O-line has experience at three positions and their d-line and LB's are returning 6 experienced players. So I am not so sure a beat down is there.  That's why they play the game. Maryville has won 27 times in the series, West has won 4 with one tie. Last year Maryville won 42 to 20. Last West win was 1996, West 24 MHS 21. 

Rebelwoman thank you for the kind words and bringing up that last game at West. Just some trivia but West has not lost a home game since that game and have a 13 game home winning streak on the line Thursday - the longest home winning streak in West history.

I know that doesn't sound impressive, but West doesn't have the history of Fulton Maryville or Alcoa. Would have been nice to have that state title last year to make this game bigger but we came up short.

So 92 straight district wins vs 13 straight home game wins is the theme. I hope we can give you guys a game...I just hope we can get through it injury free and not get embarrassed on TV.

Go West!

It will be on radio at 94.3. 

West has a very good team. I thought Alcoa was not as good as in previous years after seeing them play Maryville. So I am not so sure how good Maryville is. Their defense is certainly very good with a hole or two in the DB area. D line is pretty good, as good as any I have seen at Maryville. QB I'd give a B grade at the moment. Vaught needs some development. Last years QB threw ONE interception  all year. This QB has 3. Not saying he is bad, just saying he is not up to speed just YET. He will be though.

West has 4 All-State players returning. Nathan Cottrell of West was the District 4A Player of the Year and is a very good running back boasting a 14.5 yards per carry average coming into this year. That is exceptional. QB Marshall is pretty quick, (sub 4.5 forty) and their DB Tommy Pridemore was the Blue Cross Bowl 5A Defensive MVP. Also Alex Burch one of the All-State players has also run a sub 4.5 forty and had 8 interceptions last year. Their O-line has experience at three positions and their d-line and LB's are returning 6 experienced players. So I am not so sure a beat down is there.  That's why they play the game. Maryville has won 27 times in the series, West has won 4 with one tie. Last year Maryville won 42 to 20. Last West win was 1996, West 24 MHS 21. 

If you are using John Garret as the standard you are going to be disappointed every year from now on. I doubt there has been many, if any, QB's in the history of Tennessee football that had a better year than John did last year. That was special and will never happen again at MHS. Tyler is doing fine and MHS is lucky to have him behind the center.

If we go in throwing interceptions against West like we did the last two games then an upset could be in the making. This isn't a fluke and it's been going on since the seven on seven games this summer. West is a much better team than Alcoa and we play them with six days to prepare where they had two weeks. I'm sorry but Alcoa wasn't what they have been in the past and was very easy to predict in almost every situation Friday night. Also we are playing in Knoxville and there have been many a game in the past where we have had a fit with the officials so be ready. This will be the game Maryville could get into trouble and I expect it to be  a good game. There isn't a single thing I've said that GQ hasn't thought about this weekend and he knows he has his work cut out. Also the one other thing that can help West is all the TV timeouts that can give a good team playing Maryville it's second wind. This game bothers me and has since West made the championship last year. 

Good gosh...