Week 2: Maryville at Knox West

BigDave1967

In all seriousness I believe Maryville High School would give Maryville College all they wanted and more this year. That's how good the Red Rebels are this year. Or is it the Red Elephants?

No way. I would like to believe that but it would never happen. To much physical maturity between 17 and 22 year olds. The Rebels still have a lot of improving before playoffs.

If we go in throwing interceptions against West like we did the last two games then an upset could be in the making. This isn't a fluke and it's been going on since the seven on seven games this summer. West is a much better team than Alcoa and we play them with six days to prepare where they had two weeks. I'm sorry but Alcoa wasn't what they have been in the past and was very easy to predict in almost every situation Friday night. Also we are playing in Knoxville and there have been many a game in the past where we have had a fit with the officials so be ready. This will be the game Maryville could get into trouble and I expect it to be  a good game. There isn't a single thing I've said that GQ hasn't thought about this weekend and he knows he has his work cut out. Also the one other thing that can help West is all the TV timeouts that can give a good team playing Maryville it's second wind. This game bothers me and has since West made the championship last year. 

If we go in throwing interceptions against West like we did the last two games then an upset could be in the making. This isn't a fluke and it's been going on since the seven on seven games this summer. West is a much better team than Alcoa and we play them with six days to prepare where they had two weeks. I'm sorry but Alcoa wasn't what they have been in the past and was very easy to predict in almost every situation Friday night. Also we are playing in Knoxville and there have been many a game in the past where we have had a fit with the officials so be ready. This will be the game Maryville could get into trouble and I expect it to be a good game. There isn't a single thing I've said that GQ hasn't thought about this weekend and he knows he has his work cut out. Also the one other thing that can help West is all the TV timeouts that can give a good team playing Maryville it's second wind. This game bothers me and has since West made the championship last year.

I am not too worried about the interceptions. Vaught is learning and will continue to improve.The first pick against Alcoa will be a great teachable moment for GQ when he watches film with Vaught on the importance of trajectory when throwing long- receiver was well behind defensive back and Vaught simply threw the ball too straight. Rest assured that Vaught will hear about the mistake and learn from it. The second pick appeared to be a called play where the defense had the deep receiver covered well- give the defense credit for having the called play well defended.

It is going to take some time for passing game to come around but Vaught's ability to make plays running still makes him a very valuable asset, IMO.

Sorry but not just singling one person out but some of the reasons and upset could happen Thursday night.  I love the speed our QB has and he is a great one to watch and he is miles ahead of any of the others and well deserving of that position. In watching high school football over the past few years I've watched Maryville get better each year as a team while others have gotten worse. Some of the Fulton scores are evidence of that. Maryville has risen to the top in East Tennessee lately without much competition at all except from Rutherford County where they believe a school must have the enrollment of a small college which will eventually turn the tide as these monster schools gets bigger. I personally think after watching Blackman and Oakland on ESPN that we have to get better at some of our problems as the season continues or game fourteen will be our last.. What we have is great but we're dealing with teams loaded with SEC bound talent and difference makers at the skill positions 

Sorry but not just singling one person out but some of the reasons and upset could happen Thursday night. I love the speed our QB has and he is a great one to watch and he is miles ahead of any of the others and well deserving of that position. In watching high school football over the past few years I've watched Maryville get better each year as a team while others have gotten worse. Some of the Fulton scores are evidence of that. Maryville has risen to the top in East Tennessee lately without much competition at all except from Rutherford County where they believe a school must have the enrollment of a small college which will eventually turn the tide as these monster schools gets bigger. I personally think after watching Blackman and Oakland on ESPN that we have to get better at some of our problems as the season continues or game fourteen will be our last.. What we have is great but we're dealing with teams loaded with SEC bound talent and difference makers at the skill positions

Barney,

I agree with you. I watched all of the maryville playoff games last year and I couldn't help but notice that Maryville wasn't able to run the ball as effectively as they were able to do it in the regular season. Even against a 5-5 bradley team they weren't able to dominate the line of scrimmage and run down their throat. I think most would agree that if maryville had the limited passing attack that we are seeing now they would never have gotten past Blackman. They will have to get alot better if they want to beat them or oakland in the playoffs.

Edited by Governors91

Sorry but not just singling one person out but some of the reasons and upset could happen Thursday night.  I love the speed our QB has and he is a great one to watch and he is miles ahead of any of the others and well deserving of that position. In watching high school football over the past few years I've watched Maryville get better each year as a team while others have gotten worse. Some of the Fulton scores are evidence of that. Maryville has risen to the top in East Tennessee lately without much competition at all except from Rutherford County where they believe a school must have the enrollment of a small college which will eventually turn the tide as these monster schools gets bigger. I personally think after watching Blackman and Oakland on ESPN that we have to get better at some of our problems as the season continues or game fourteen will be our last.. What we have is great but we're dealing with teams loaded with SEC bound talent and difference makers at the skill positions

It's week two Barney; try to relax.

If we go in throwing interceptions against West like we did the last two games then an upset could be in the making. This isn't a fluke and it's been going on since the seven on seven games this summer. West is a much better team than Alcoa and we play them with six days to prepare where they had two weeks. I'm sorry but Alcoa wasn't what they have been in the past and was very easy to predict in almost every situation Friday night. Also we are playing in Knoxville and there have been many a game in the past where we have had a fit with the officials so be ready. This will be the game Maryville could get into trouble and I expect it to be  a good game. There isn't a single thing I've said that GQ hasn't thought about this weekend and he knows he has his work cut out. Also the one other thing that can help West is all the TV timeouts that can give a good team playing Maryville it's second wind. This game bothers me and has since West made the championship last year.

West isn't better than Alcoa so your safe!! I would say Alcoa is better at every unit on the field, with RB's giving an even edge, Alcoa has a horse for a back and West has a speedster. I say Maryville wins handily.... But that's why they play the game!