BatmanDB's Thoughts on DB

BatmanDB

It would be hard for anyone close not to pick a favorite. I know a couple that I'd like to see on the staff myself get the job when coach Clark retires and I'm nowhere close to the program now.

Coaches in upper east tn. are traditionally weak compared to the rest of the state. I don't think it would be very smart to hire a coach from within the program or any coach from the area. One coach I would go after with all I've got is Jimmy Gaylor. I'm not sure what his situation is or if he would be interested but I would sure make a serious effort to hire him.  

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor I heard from someone in the know is that Daniels was going to be moving out of the AD spot after this year and GC would retire from coaching to take over as AD. At least, that was the plan a few weeks ago.

Shawn Witten and Stacy Carter both want the D-B job. Witten's had his eyes on it for a while. He turned down Oak Ridge last year to stay in the area and wait on D-B.

Not true this is Gaddis 4th season since he was rehired.

Gaylor is a heck of a football coach.

Edited by oridgecat

Coaches in upper east tn. are traditionally weak compared to the rest of the state. I don't think it would be very smart to hire a coach from within the program or any coach from the area. One coach I would go after with all I've got is Jimmy Gaylor. I'm not sure what his situation is or if he would be interested but I would sure make a serious effort to hire him.  

Just a thought here.If I were in total control and could hire who I wanted ,Maryville would be sad but we all know that's not going to happen .Realistically,I would not fire any of the coaches.However,if two things could be done,DB would be much better..Hire a  super strength and conditioning coach for the weight room to help the football team and  all sports.Someone said Kingsport has a former NFL defensive back that would be a super help either as a volunteer or on staff.If not him,someone young and close to that not only could help the defense but bring some life back to the whole team.I'll tell you right now,a couple of quick moves like that would make a world of difference.Once again,I'm out of it and never want to be a part in any way but this could help DB's future for those kids that still love the game and are coming up.

Gaylord is a good assistant coach. He was fired recently from head coaching duties of the Maryville baseball team.

I don't think he has the drive to be a head coach. He has that reputation.

Doesn't seem that Maryville has had much of a drop off since Gaylor''s 'resignation' from defensive coordinator.

I should of been more clear.  Was talking about going after Gaylor for Defensive coordinator. I don't think we have a big problem with the offense at DB. Most of the problems on offense have been created by the defense. But I also wouldn't be opposed to him as head coach if that's what it takes to get him here. Would be a much better hire than an local coach. I don't know what his situation is but the "resignation" or "firing" doesn't look like was from anything he did wrong.

Edited by WaCoJaCo

I should of been more clear.  Was talking about going after Gaylor for Defensive coordinator. I don't think we have a big problem with the offense at DB. Most of the problems on offense have been created by the defense. But I also wouldn't be opposed to him as head coach if that's what it takes to get him here. Would be a much better hire than an local coach. I don't know what his situation is but the "resignation" or "firing" doesn't look like was from anything he did wrong.

For what it's worth, the article I read Quarles, who is the AD, said they just decided to go in another direction.  I don't think there was anything inappropriate or anything like that. 

Here is a question for the last 2:36 of the Jeff County game

Why kick it deep? Why did the Coaches not kick the on-sides kick?

Football 101 - kicks the on-sides kick every time

Now - if you have a stout defense that is dominating - maybe...but DB had 2 stops the entire game - other than that - the Pats scored every possession.

I was in favor of kicking an on-sides kick at the start of the 2nd half and maybe for the entire game against SH. It can't hurt-the offense will be at midfield in 2 plays anyway. DB could actually get the ball a time or 2. And the defense won't give up as many yards if the other team recovers.

Here is a question for the last 2:36 of the Jeff County game

Why kick it deep? Why did the Coaches not kick the on-sides kick?

Football 101 - kicks the on-sides kick every time

Now - if you have a stout defense that is dominating - maybe...but DB had 2 stops the entire game - other than that - the Pats scored every possession.

I was in favor of kicking an on-sides kick at the start of the 2nd half and maybe for the entire game against SH. It can't hurt-the offense will be at midfield in 2 plays anyway. DB could actually get the ball a time or 2. And the defense won't give up as many yards if the other team recovers.

Interesting proposal.    FWIW, Maryville did a version of this every time to DB, instead of onsides though it was more of a straight up in the air kick that came down around the 35 or 40.   So the DB guy catching it would be more like fielding a punt.       DB did a fair catch every time and it was the same player, he never muffed the catch but I suppose that is what Maryville was hoping for.

One other thing I noticed about Maryville, it looked as if they had actually practiced special teams play.     No, I don't mean go thru the motions at the end of practice every other week, they ran special teams almost like an offense would run a play.    Just have not seen any other teams consistently perform at special teams like that