DB FOOTBALL=TIME FOR A CHANGE!

DBfaninthe37660

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Rang on the market or was this just a suggestion for DB to go poaching?

He is from East Tennessee. Why go looking for a bunch of coaches that are about ready to be put out to pasture when someone like that is out there. I would suggest the same thing for Oak Ridge also if they want to quit horsing around and go to the next step. Gaddis is a decent coach but he is at his limit and that's far as she is going to go with him. Now DB reminds me of an old school in Blount county that is no longer around called Everett. Everyone came to see the band but the football team was a joke. Is that what you all want to be classified as, a joke in football.

Everyone understands that the coaches are teachers first...right?  It's not like college, or professional sports where all parts of the coaches job is related to their sport.  These guys get to school no later than 7:30am for most of them and teach classes until 2:55 or 3:15pm.  Then during their lunch break they watch film, game plan, plan for practice.

Now, take the head coach out of this conversation, but if you count the number of hours these coaches put into film, weight room, game planning, practice, games, summer camps and divide that by the stipend they receive to actually coach you might come out to about $0.50 an hour.

It's not like people are beating down the door to coach high school athletics, and usually the people that do want to either are not qualified to teach-much less qualified to be around young people to help mentor. 

Yes, I'm disappointed that DB had a bad season, but Good Grief-put some things in perspective. 

So much talk about the great band that DB has.  Yes they are good, do you know what the band director does all day?  Yep, that's right he teaches his band students.  His job is revolved around the band.  The same cannot be said of all the high school coaches, they don't get to teach and coach their players all day long.

I'm not saying that some coaches might not be cut out to do the job, but think about everything they sacrifice To Do this job.  Everything the athletic coaches do is all after school and is monitored by the TSSAA.  To my knowledge the band does not have any organization that monitors their practice time, or amount of contact that the band director has with them during the "off season". 

It's a game. Doesn't matter if their getting paid 50 cents an hour or 50 dollars an hour. To get paid to be involved in a game is a pretty good perk. Also, it's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for. Their probably making a lot more money than these guys I see outside in all sorts of weather digging ditches, doing concrete work, builders in general. You know, real work. You won't find many (if any) coaches coming home after work with even a blister on his finger. I guess it all boils down to if you want to be a winner or a loser. The powers that be in Kingsport have decided to be losers. They bilked the tax payers and wasted millions on a fake football program. New turf, field house, lighting, upper deck (because nobody else had one), new score board with big screen (because Science Hill had one), new uniforms. All this to look good but forgot the most important part. A good coaching staff. All show and no go.

He is from East Tennessee. Why go looking for a bunch of coaches that are about ready to be put out to pasture when someone like that is out there. I would suggest the same thing for Oak Ridge also if they want to quit horsing around and go to the next step. Gaddis is a decent coach but he is at his limit and that's far as she is going to go with him. Now DB reminds me of an old school in Blount county that is no longer around called Everett. Everyone came to see the band but the football team was a joke. Is that what you all want to be classified as, a joke in football.

From what I have been told DB will not be making any changes in the near future to the football coaching staff. They are happy with what they have. But have you seen our stadium?

It's a game. Doesn't matter if their getting paid 50 cents an hour or 50 dollars an hour. To get paid to be involved in a game is a pretty good perk. Also, it's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for. Their probably making a lot more money than these guys I see outside in all sorts of weather digging ditches, doing concrete work, builders in general. You know, real work. You won't find many (if any) coaches coming home after work with even a blister on his finger. I guess it all boils down to if you want to be a winner or a loser. The powers that be in Kingsport have decided to be losers. They bilked the tax payers and wasted millions on a fake football program. New turf, field house, lighting, upper deck (because nobody else had one), new score board with big screen (because Science Hill had one), new uniforms. All this to look good but forgot the most important part. A good coaching staff. All show and no go.

You sure don't act like it's a game with your comments on here.

And I'm sorry that you feel teachers are not doing "real work". We should probably all quit educating students so their parents can decide what is important enough for them to learn. Hey...then maybe when these kids got older they could get a real job working in horrible outdoor conditions so they can dig ditches and have blisters on their hands.

My whole point to this topic is people need to stop comparing apples to oranges with the band to the football team.

And you're right, these coaches knew what they signed up for and the money is not why they do it. Like I said it's not like there are a lot of people beating down the door to work from 7:30am to 10:30pm from August to November.

Edited by hincke2000

And I'm sorry that you feel teachers are not doing "real work". We should probably all quit educating students so their parents can decide what is important enough for them to learn. Hey...then maybe when these kids got older they could get a real job working in horrible outdoor conditions so they can dig ditches and have blisters on their hands.

My whole point to this topic is people need to stop comparing apples to oranges with the band to the football team.

And you're right, these coaches knew what they signed up for and the money is not why they do it. Like I said it's not like there are a lot of people beating down the door to work from 7:30am to 10:30pm from August to November.

So is it ever appropriate to ask for a change? This seems to be happening in various threads this time of year.

So obviously you're a teacher. I'll say I again. Teaching or coaching is not a hard job compared to the jobs I listed. And don't talk down about the people that hold those jobs. Without them you probably wouldn't even be able to leave your house. And to add to that 50% of those teaching today are a complete joke. I'm assuming you are in the other 50%.  DB doesn't have good coaches at some positions. That's a proven fact. Live with it.

Hi to you as well coach.I guess you know your one of a few that could really help where DB needs it .Several of you would help the football program so much if you were turned loose in the weight room.You guys are not so arrogant that you can't seek knowledge and ask for help when you need it.That's why you won't see me painting the staff like "high plains drifter ". I think the kids are lucky to have most of you .To me, DB football is like a race team.You have a good team with several great cars and engines .That said, if you don't make the right adjustments , it doesn't matter who is driving the car or working on the pit crew, your not going to win a lot of championships.

So obviously you're a teacher. I'll say I again. Teaching or coaching is not a hard job compared to the jobs I listed. And don't talk down about the people that hold those jobs. Without them you probably wouldn't even be able to leave your house. And to add to that 50% of those teaching today are a complete joke. I'm assuming you are in the other 50%.  DB doesn't have good coaches at some positions. That's a proven fact. Live with it.

It is obvious, from your postings, that you haven't been around too many teachers and have no idea what they do or put up with every day. You wouldn't last an hour.

Perhaps you could direct me to the proof that "DB doesn't have good coaches at some positions".

Waco has been preaching Defense for a while now.   The first 3 games the D only gave up an average of 15 points.     No complaints about that.       But the next 8 games was an avg of 39.     Not sure what happened between game 3 and 4.      A "D" that allows 39 every week is pretty bad, so it has to be either the coaching or the players.     Assuming the players are good that does seem to point to coaching.... but I say "seem" because who knows, maybe the guys goof off at practice, stay up late every night, don't eat right, etc.

Waco has been preaching Defense for a while now.   The first 3 games the D only gave up an average of 15 points.     No complaints about that.       But the next 8 games was an avg of 39.     Not sure what happened between game 3 and 4.      A "D" that allows 39 every week is pretty bad, so it has to be either the coaching or the players.     Assuming the players are good that does seem to point to coaching.... but I say "seem" because who knows, maybe the guys goof off at practice, stay up late every night, don't eat right, etc.

I guess we left out the other possibility, that is the other teams are just that good.    That doesn't seem likely to me (except for Maryville and Blackman), but in interest of full disclosure we'll include it..