Alcoa 2016

AlcoaBasketball

Let me enlighten you newbie.  I've been on here longer than you and Uppercumberland Man put together and  while i support Upperman when they play as i do all the upper cumberland teams, they are not my "home" team.  So keep your mouth shut unless you know the facts.  

Scots50, a newbie! That's a good one!

I'm probably ridiculous trying to bring an objective post into "this" type of thread, but I'll give it a try...Anyone who's followed my posts over the years knows that I call it like I see it like many others on the board. While I've always maintained that Blount Co schools have an advantage with the fact that they have open zoning, 2 large county schools with weak football programs for the other 2 schools to draw from, and that Alcoa has a very low cost to attend school there (at one time it was $500, I'm not sure now) they were basically the ideal private. All the pros, but no multiplier, and no high tuition to keep kids away who want to go to school there or play there. It is self explanatory when you have a school with roughly 275 males and 90 - 100 play football; numbers you would expect to see in a high quality 5A or 6A program.

However, Alcoa has simply played by the rules and done a great job of it. There is a big difference between acknowledging that they have some tools that they use to their advantage vs. saying they cheat (recruit). Having been around and my team playing them twice a year for years, having been knocked out of the playoffs many years by them, but also observing them, it is my firm belief that they run a first class program and follow the rules that the TSSAA has set forth. They don't make the rules. Furthermore, just logically speaking, with all that they have going for them, why would they NEED or take a chance recruiting? Kids flock to their door to play for a program that has great facilities, great coaches, great school, great football, etc. You don't have to like their success, but calling them a cheater is over the line IMO. The way I see it, if you have evidence of cheating, let's hear it and turn it in to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you are simply throwing "recruiting" around to make them look like a cheater while having no evidence, and that is just wrong.

My goodness. You are suffering badly aren't you. Get some help for that mental issue ASAP before it is too late. And I do not care how long you have been around. Longevity does not signify relevance....kinda like UC Sports....irrelevant.

UC community is always nice enough to host the "Blount County Invitational" Football games in Cookeville at Tucker Stadium at the end of every season.

I'm probably ridiculous trying to bring an objective post into "this" type of thread, but I'll give it a try...Anyone who's followed my posts over the years knows that I call it like I see it like many others on the board. While I've always maintained that Blount Co schools have an advantage with the fact that they have open zoning, 2 large county schools with weak football programs for the other 2 schools to draw from, and that Alcoa has a very low cost to attend school there (at one time it was $500, I'm not sure now) they were basically the ideal private. All the pros, but no multiplier, and no high tuition to keep kids away who want to go to school there or play there. It is self explanatory when you have a school with roughly 275 males and 90 - 100 play football; numbers you would expect to see in a high quality 5A or 6A program.

However, Alcoa has simply played by the rules and done a great job of it. There is a big difference between acknowledging that they have some tools that they use to their advantage vs. saying they cheat (recruit). Having been around and my team playing them twice a year for years, having been knocked out of the playoffs many years by them, but also observing them, it is my firm belief that they run a first class program and follow the rules that the TSSAA has set forth. They don't make the rules. Furthermore, just logically speaking, with all that they have going for them, why would they NEED or take a chance recruiting? Kids flock to their door to play for a program that has great facilities, great coaches, great school, great football, etc. You don't have to like their success, but calling them a cheater is over the line IMO. The way I see it, if you have evidence of cheating, let's hear it and turn it in to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you are simply throwing "recruiting" around to make them look like a cheater while having no evidence, and that is just wrong.

Great post. I don't agree with everything you said, but a great, objective post. I don't feel that the Blount county schools have an advantage other schools do not. Are there other schools with open enrollment? How do they compare?

The Blount county teams are simply forcing other teams to step up their game. After the Blount county teams got the artificial turf , then a certain Knoxville business stepped up and donated the money to get the Knoxville teams new turf fields. I wonder when the Knoxville schools will get Jumbo trons on their scoreboards.

Great post. I don't agree with everything you said, but a great, objective post. I don't feel that the Blount county schools have an advantage other schools do not. Are there other schools with open enrollment? How do they compare?

The Blount county teams are simply forcing other teams to step up their game. After the Blount county teams got the artificial turf , then a certain Knoxville business stepped up and donated the money to get the Knoxville teams new turf fields. I wonder when the Knoxville schools will get Jumbo trons on their scoreboards.

I have one answer for you....no school will have the jumbo tron like Alcoa...

Thanks for your post GVK. My sons have been in the Alcoa program since 2007. I have never witnessed any type of recruiting as we are often accused. I have witnessed Alcoa accused of bringing kids in through the Alcoa Plant (I honestly think MHS has just as many parents working there as we do, if any). I have seen recent drivel about the "cheap apartments" behind Lowes. What a joke..those things are up scale apartments. My recently married son and his bride could not afford to move there. There are many more of these "proofs".

What I have witnessed since 2007 is family after family coming to Alcoa and doing exactly what I did in 2007. No recruiting, no jobs, no housing, etc.' we pay tuition or move into the district. Simple as that.

We have great facilities. So what. Our students and community always deserve the best. The growth in our county happens to supply the tax base to support school and athletic improvements.....long overdue I might add.

And let's be honest, Rankin is not the darling of the media, officials, or any other group associated with covering high school athletics. Unfortunate, as he is a good hard nosed football coach. Do you really believe recruiting at Alcoa would be overlooked. Not hardly. Rankin has too many haters to take that chance.

Thata's enough. Good to hear from you my friend!

Thanks for your post GVK. My sons have been in the Alcoa program since 2007. I have never witnessed any type of recruiting as we are often accused. I have witnessed Alcoa accused of bringing kids in through the Alcoa Plant (I honestly think MHS has just as many parents working there as we do, if any). I have seen recent drivel about the "cheap apartments" behind Lowes. What a joke..those things are up scale apartments. My recently married son and his bride could not afford to move there. There are many more of these "proofs".

What I have witnessed since 2007 is family after family coming to Alcoa and doing exactly what I did in 2007. No recruiting, no jobs, no housing, etc.' we pay tuition or move into the district. Simple as that.

We have great facilities. So what. Our students and community always deserve the best. The growth in our county happens to supply the tax base to support school and athletic improvements.....long overdue I might add.

And let's be honest, Rankin is not the darling of the media, officials, or any other group associated with covering high school athletics. Unfortunate, as he is a good hard nosed football coach. Do you really believe recruiting at Alcoa would be overlooked. Not hardly. Rankin has too many haters to take that chance.

Thata's enough. Good to hear from you my friend!

I will come on this thread and say I have seen "it". Does Rankin know about it, who's to say but I promise you it's happening.

That said, having been in the this county since birth I know plenty of kids who switched between both schools for various reasons and even played with a few of them when I was at Maryville. I will say this though, Maryville has our own issue with a moLe amongst our own that if not taken care of may lead to more than a few good players switching over to the Tornadoes.

Edited by JSamson7

I will come on this thread and say I have seen "it". Does Rankin know about it, who's to say but I promise you it's happening.

That said, having been in the this county since birth I know plenty of kids who switched between both schools for various reasons and even played with a few of them when I was at Maryville. I will say this though, Maryville has our own issue with a moLe amongst our own that if not taken care of may lead to more than a few good players switching over to the Tornadoes.

Ah, yet another "I have seen it", or "My brother's uncle's cousin said Rankin called his son". LOL. As I said before, as long as my son gets his new Lexus this year, I do not care who we recruit. His G35 getting a little long in the tooth (sarcasm off).

Ah, yet another "I have seen it", or "My brother's uncle's cousin said Rankin called his son". LOL. As I said before, as long as my son gets his new Lexus this year, I do not care who we recruit. His G35 getting a little long in the tooth (sarcasm off).

I never said gifts were involved, but you better believe there is "politicking" going on. Neither Rankin nor Quarles have to talk to anybody, but there are surrogates (although not approved ones) who sure do their best to turn the switch on.